Duty free allowances (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We very rarely bother with duty free these days, but travelling from Hull on Saturday North Sea Ferries have Tanqueray Rangpur at £20 / litre

Just checked limits for return to UK it appears it is still set at a measly 1.11 litres per adult

Not sure if they restrict sales on board or not or if they pass sales details to customs

But for now more interested in how much can we take into Belgium, does anybody care?

We would like to take about 6 bottles in and ideally bring 6 back

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We very rarely bother with duty free these days, but travelling from Hull on Saturday North Sea Ferries have Tanqueray Rangpur at £20 / litre

Just checked limits for return to UK it appears it is still set at a measly 1.11 litres per adult

Not sure if they restrict sales on board or not or if they pass sales details to customs

But for now more interested in how much can we take into Belgium, does anybody care?

We would like to take about 6 bottles in and ideally bring 6 back
You’ll be fine, just tell the customs officers it’s for personal consumption. There are at least 30 bods on the morning thread who will send supporting affidavits. ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats only if duty as been payed on them .
not duty free.
very often its best to check prices in eu countries as well.
the customs officers do sometimes ask for receipts to see if duty has been payed if a duty sticker isnt on the top of the bottles etc .

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
There won’t be any duty free on the Hull ferry; it’s not leaving the EU.

Ian

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
There won’t be any duty free on the Hull ferry; it’s not leaving the EU.

Ian

Interesting point, maybe they just discount it, rather than sell it free of duty ?

I know I can bring back more than I can legally carry if bought in another country

I will do more research and report back. my daughter came back and bought 3 litres of gin on the ferry and didn’t get stopped at customs ?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
buy it in the intermarces you will find it probably cheaper their if duty paid i think there a 30 ltr limit.
but i could be wrong
bill

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
It may just be me confused by the trading name of the P & O shops, calling themselves World Duty Free

You’re not alone; it’s shrewd marketing. Folks fall for it at airports too - it’s a company/trading name but it doesn’t mean you can buy duty free therein.

You may also recall a beer (lager) advert from some years ago that used the line “brewed in the UK by Danes” - we were all supposed to believe that they’d taken the trouble to employ Danish brewers here in the UK; they hadn’t, the company was called Danes - sly bar stewards!

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back