Dunlop Air Suspension Kit and Jacking Points (1 Viewer)

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Now the sun is shining I've decided to do a couple of jobs on our 10 year old MH. One is to have the alloy wheels refurbished and the other is to fit an air suspension kit. For the wheels, I need to put the MH on axle jack for a few days while the wheels are being refurbished. I consulted the MH handbook (Dethleffs) and its say jack the vehicle up on the axles, not the bodywork (not very helpful). I consulted the Fiat hand book and it shows, none too clearly, jacking points on the chassis, forward of the rear wheels and rearward of the front wheels. I'm going to use 2 tonne trolley jack to lift each corner, replacing with a 3 tonne axle stand as I go. I'm guessing that the axle stands will go on the rear axle (is that right?) but I'm not confident about where the axle stands for the front will go. I've never jacked the MH up so any guidance and best practice appreciated!

While the wheels are off, I thought it would be a good time to fits an air suspension kit. I've got hold of the Dunlop kit installation manual (from marcleleisure.co.uk) - what I don't understand - because it makes no mention of it, is how its wired up, where the pump goes and where to take an electrical feed from (or maybe I should have it fitted by a mechanic).

Many thanks.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
DO NOT JACK THE VEHICLE UP ON THE BODYWORK
just in case I didng make the point obvious
DO NOT JACK TNE VEHICLE UP ON THE BODYWORK
I have just had my wheels painted so did the same as you are planning to do and I put the jack under the suspension of each corner and put the the rear axle on stands and used the chassis outrigger at the front but you will be safe using the cross member that runs crossways under the engine if your worried about the condition of the chassis

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
This maybe a stupid statement but I'm guessing the stands will be on solid ground and dont crawl under the van when it is just on the jack try and reach under leaving as much of your body as possible out of harms way

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
DO NOT JACK THE VEHICLE UP ON THE BODYWORK
just in case I didng make the point obvious
DO NOT JACK TNE VEHICLE UP ON THE BODYWORK
I have just had my wheels painted so did the same as you are planning to do and I put the jack under the suspension of each corner and put the the rear axle on stands and used the chassis outrigger at the front but you will be safe using the cross member that runs crossways under the engine if your worried about the condition of the chassis
Yes, I did think it was fairly obvious not to jack a 3.5 tonne vehicle on the bodywork - but suppose some people are a bit stupid... Not sure I'm clear about where you're placing your axle stands.

Upvote 0

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
You wont need a 5 tonne jack as you are only jacking up 1 corner at a time

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Is it me or has Marcle Leisure hyped up the price of their Full air assist suspension kits?, I looked this week and astounded to find it was priced at £900 for the full kit with Gauges and compressor, I know they use Dunlop Bellows, but I am sure not paying that. Firestone or EuroBellows? (something similar) are just as good and some even offer the same warranty in many cases.
As for compressor fitment, just put it inside the van wherever its convenient, near the drivers footwell inside a cupboard is good, run the airpipes to the gauges, and another to the output of the compressor.
The 12v feed to the compressor is normally taken from the Cab starter battery fused appropriately (15/20amp) at the battery end, another switched feed is taken from the compressor switch on the gauge panel which activates the low current feed to the relay coil switching the normally open contacts to close, taking the 12 volt higher current feed from battery direct to compressor.

As for jacking up the van on 4 axle stands, unless you have a dead level drive which I dont, I would be placing something substantial like railways sleepers as a back up to the axle stands also, but I am a big scardy cat after all and have have been under too many cars in the past.
Good luck.
LES

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If you are fitting rear air assist I would support the rear of the motorhome by using the axle stands under the chassis if its a standard Fiat chassis. That way the axle drops down giving you more work room.

But.

If you are at all unsure about any of the jacking, supporting of the vehicle. Then maybe get others to do it for you, or take to a garage.

Upvote 0

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
If you are fitting rear air assist I would support the rear of the motorhome by using the axle stands under the chassis if its a standard Fiat chassis. That way the axle drops down giving you more work room.

But.

If you are at all unsure about any of the jacking, supporting of the vehicle. Then maybe get others to do it for you, or take to a garage.

Upvote 1

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I agree use a strong jack. Always well rated above the load. If using a trolley jack remember the jack has to roll forward as it lifts the weight so make sure the ground is flat and clean, even a small pebble can cause problems. The main danger is lifting the other side, if the jack cannot roll it will pull the vehicle sideways and possibly off the other axle stand.

Upvote 0

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Hi I fitted the rear air suspension unit Dunlop make from Marcel leisure great kit every part of it is very substantial and well engineered I fitted the compressor under the drivers seat and the gauges are on the dash , you can buy the dash bracket , all in all easy to fit just plan it out which way the pipes will go I fed the pipes through 12 mm plastic conduit to give them some protection and cable tied it to chassis every 200mm will try and attach some pics for you.

Attachments

• IMG_8710.JPG
    IMG_8710.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_8711.JPG
    IMG_8711.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8712.JPG
    IMG_8712.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_8713.JPG
    IMG_8713.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_8714.JPG
    IMG_8714.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_8715.JPG
    IMG_8715.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8716.JPG
    IMG_8716.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Nice neat Job Trout bum, you should be proud of yourself. (y)
Can I ask what the full kit price was from Marcle Leisure, I checked last week because the one I was buying from EU is not showing up since brexit. Marcle were always dearer because they use Dunlop air bags, but nowhere near £900 inc the RHS dash panel for the gauges. You can PM me if you prefer, it just doesn't make sense, I could get it fitted professionally for 1K or thereabouts.
Many Thanks.
LES

Upvote 0

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
TinaL, thanks it was tail end of 2019 I fitted it , the suspension kit was approx £350, and I bought the compressor kit as well which was I think was just over £100 didn't bother with the air tank as it would take up too much space , the plastic conduit was only £10 for 30 mtrs, took me about 5 hours to fit the unit after studying under the van where I run the pines longest part was the wiring of the compressor but honestly it's not a difficult job and it does make a huge difference in road handlI got, Marcel were definitely offering the best deal and Dunlop units are very good.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks Trout bum for the feedback, I only wish the Marcle Leisure deal was at those prices today, I know its not a difficult job to do, but as to why the on-line prices have gone bizzerk is a mystery to me.
Added together your kit was £450 which is what I was expecting, bit of a shock to see the price difference today.
PS: as you know you now you dont need the air tank.(y)
Happy Travels, when allowed & thanks for your response.
LES

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
If you put the vehicle on axle stands on the rear axle I don’t think you will be able to fit rear air bags. You need to lift the chassis to allow some travel on the suspension to remove the bump stops and fit the air bags.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
You would be far safer, if possible, to do two wheels at a time for the wheels to refurbed, so you are only keeping half the vehicle raised, but I imagine you’ve already asked the question.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back