Ducato radio (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
I know this has been discussed before, but has anyone found a solution that’s an easy and cheap fix to stop the radio on a Ducato switching itself off after 20 minutes. It’s a Fiat radio on a 2015 x290 .

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I thought there was a setting where you can change it to 4 hours or something.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I belive you have to change the wires over at the back of the radio its the red and the yellow one's.
But you will need to look up which way round for what.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
An auto electrician can easily connect it to a constant live feed behind the dash I think.....but then it must already be as I cant see how the radio knows the ignition is off when it gives you the 20mins. Maybe its the drop in voltage it senses which, if that is the case, you are snookered.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I belive you have to change the wires over at the back of the radio its the red and the yellow one's.
But you will need to look up which way round for what.
That makes sense. It must have two power feeds. A constant live and a switched live. The default is the switched live but it will allow 20mins on the constant live. If you make both inputs constant live it will stay on indefinitely.

Be cautious though as some radios draw power all the time and this will flatten your battery giving you a new problem

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It depends what year the van is, there certainly was a fix within the menu where you can change it to 180 minutes. I did it on a 2008 model.
Mine now feeds of the leisure battery which is a good alternative.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
On our old Burstener we had a seperate switch on the dash board that worked off the leisure battery,so when the ignition was off you could switch on and listen to the radio as long as you wanted to.

OP
OP
RGCH999
Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
Sounds like the problem hasn’t been resolved by Fiat with any software updates. Separate switch sounds the best option as these modern radios tend to consume quite a lot of power even when you turn them off.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
On our old Burstener we had a seperate switch on the dash board that worked off the leisure battery,so when the ignition was off you could switch on and listen to the radio as long as you wanted to.
The old ways are sometimes the best

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've rewired my constant feed to the leisure battery. The ignition feed is connected to a switch that chooses between the actual ignition and a constant feed. This means that you don't have to worry about emptying the vehicle battery. It also allows you to choose between ignition switching (when driving) and always available (when living). The switch location enables it to be selected from both the drivers seat and the living area.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The radio is controlled by the body computer on newer vans. They are supplied with default switch off times of 0 and 20 minutes from the factory, but the body computer can be reprogrammed to 60 or 120 minutes switch off delay.

I posted a thread explaining how to do it with AlfaOBD diagnostic software a while back.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Take a live feed from battery. Either vehicle or hab and with a switch and fuse on that connect to both red and yellow at back of radio. That's what I did but you must choose for yourself.
My van came without a radio so fitted an android head unit.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
I think it depends on which radio you have but this may help.

Enter the "Audio" menu, press the MORE button (9-fig. 1) on the front panel and then select "Settings" and "Audio", or press the MEDIA button (12-fig. 1) on the front panel and then select "Audio".
The following adjustments can be carried out using the "Audio" menu: Then choose the "Radio Off Delay". You may be able to adjust the time on this setting. When finished - To exit the "Audio" menu, press the Done Button / Back Arrow.

OP
OP
RGCH999
Feb 5, 2016
South Wales UK
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XLB
Exp
8 years
The radio is controlled by the body computer on newer vans. They are supplied with default switch off times of 0 and 20 minutes from the factory, but the body computer can be reprogrammed to 60 or 120 minutes switch off delay.

I posted a thread explaining how to do it with AlfaOBD diagnostic software a while back.
Yes I saw that. I’ve already got the MultiEcuScan and am operating on Apple so that option isnt open to me. Was looking for cheap easy fix or seeing if Fiat have updated software since 2015.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Yes I saw that. I’ve already got the MultiEcuScan and am operating on Apple so that option isnt open to me. Was looking for cheap easy fix or seeing if Fiat have updated software since 2015.
The software allows for two radio off-delay settings. I'm afraid to change them the body computer needs to be reprogrammed, and the new delay times will then be available on the radio settings screen.

I have seen some people rewiring the factory radio power supply to override the off settings, but Fiat say that is only allowed for aftermarket radio fitment, and should not be attempted with the factory radio. Vehicles supplied without the factory radio have different wiring and body computer programming, so providing a permanent supply does not risk issues than can be caused elsewhere by modifying the supply to the factory radio.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back