Ducato Factory tyre pressure monitors (1 Viewer)

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have these monitors fitted to our 2015 Hymer. Does anybody know how they work please? There does not seem any receiver or sender fitted to the wheel, so they seem not to work like the after market fitted monitors.

The reason I ask is that I will need a new set of tyres in a few months. In addition I want to get my Hymer alloys powder coated, because the alloy finish is shot. I could kill two birds with one stone if I can buy tyres on the internet and get the powder coaters to fit the new tyres. But before that I need to know if there is anything on the wheels that they will need to take off and put back so that the monitors still work.

Thanks for any help you can give.

otr717

Free Member
Mar 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
pvc
There is a sender unit inside each road wheel, as part of the valve.
The single receiver unit is on the engine subframe's crossmember, behind the engine.
You have been very lucky if all 4 of your sender units continue to function after 8-9 years and I wouldn't consider retaining these with your new tyres as they will surely begin to fail soon.
I would ask the tyre depot to fit new valves/senders; they will almost certainly have a range of programmable universal senders that they can configure for the Ducato. They may clone your existing sensor IDs although this isn't necessary as the vehicle will learn any new IDs as you drive.

P.S. the wheels can go back in any position and the vehicle will learn the positions automatically (using WAL - wireless auto-locate).

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
P.S. the wheels can go back in any position and the vehicle will learn the positions automatically (using WAL - wireless auto-locate).
That's interesting. I intend replacing the tyres at next service because, although only 7 years old, I'm fed up with the 'bang crash' effect of CP tyres. Looks like it could get expensive with new special valves as well.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Interesting question. On our cars I'm told the tyre pressure warning is driven by sensing differences in the number of rotations the wheels make it seems to sometimes work !

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks everybody. My motorhome stood for a year on the forecourt before I bought it at a bargain price. So that means any batteries in the valve are over 9 years old and 46,000 miles. That is some good battery to last that long! And yes my tyre pressure light goes out when I switch the ignition on.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
TPMS are motion sensitive using power when moved in most of not all cases,but even so.
9 yrs is surprising.
Looking on eBay they seem to be £60 to £150,I would think tyre shops will insist on fitting new as there is a good mark up on them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fairly certain with the age of your van they weren't fitting them I think it was about 2019 and Hymer don't have them fitted anyway.
Also the Fiat ones are a pain as it is difficult if not impossible to change the pressures they are set to, even Fiat dealers don't know how to do it.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
Fairly certain with the age of your van they weren't fitting them I think it was about 2019 and Hymer don't have them fitted anyway.
Also the Fiat ones are a pain as it is difficult if not impossible to change the pressures they are set to, even Fiat dealers don't know how to do it.
Mine is a 2017 Heavy and I changed the pressures on mine using Multicuscan.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Definitely got it Lenny. My son managed to change the pressure settings through the OBD for me, so he knows more than the Fiat dealer. It was a factory fit option. One of the £20k worth of optional equipment that the person or dealer that specced the motorhome chose. Listed at £140. Just noticed from the option price list that the "optional spare wheel" is not equipped with tyre pressure monitoring sensor. That clearly suggests that there are sensors in the wheels.

OP
OP
peterc10
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
TPMS are motion sensitive using power when moved in most of not all cases,but even so.
9 yrs is surprising.
Looking on eBay they seem to be £60 to £150,I would think tyre shops will insist on fitting new as there is a good mark up on them.
They can insist as much as they like but I ain't paying for them if I don't want them. :rofl:

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Can I just ask if you have a sensor/sender like this? It's in the passenger footwell.

tps sender.jpeg

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
That looks like a TyrePal repeater to me, although the one I have just fitted is black.
It was already fitted to the van when I bought it but I have no idea what it is supposed to connect to - any ideas??

Sep 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer T588SL
Exp
Getting there!
Do you have a screen displaying 4 separate wheels,also do you have big valve caps?
(I may be barking up the wrong tree here)
No display apart from a Snooper sat nav & these are the valve caps:
1710951664923.jpeg

sorry about the state of the wheels!!

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks everybody. My motorhome stood for a year on the forecourt before I bought it at a bargain price. So that means any batteries in the valve are over 9 years old and 46,000 miles. That is some good battery to last that long! And yes my tyre pressure light goes out when I switch the ignition on.
No batteries in the wheels

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Don’t know but they must be the best batteries in the world as I have never changed them in Denise’s car and that is 8 years old.
My car senses the difference rotations of each wheel is the best way of describing it.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don’t know but they must be the best batteries in the world as I have never changed them in Denise’s car and that is 8 years old.
My car senses the difference rotations of each wheel is the best way of describing it.
The different wheel rotations like ours is an indirectly way of sensing tyre pressures. Ones that measure pressure directly are battery powered I think a lot of them have the ability to charge from the energy generated when the wheel rotates a bit like an automatic watch.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Internal sensors do not have batteries,in very simple terms they are" powdered" by radiowaves.Not but think in terms of microwave ovens.
They tend to last around 5 to 10 yrs.
If the light is on on the dash it's an MOT fail even if the tyre is obviously correctly inflated!
External (big valve caps) are usually battery powered

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back