Ducato 8 - Anyone taken delivery of one yet? (1 Viewer)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would have thought a smaller engine with more boost on the turbo would give the same torque or more than a larger engine as long as the revs are high enough for the turbo to be working. I can't see larger capacity low boost engines ever making a comeback it's about as likely as them making Morris minors again because they're mechanically simple.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The worst fuel economy I’ve ever had was on the smallest engine I’ve ever owned.

There are also problems running on a turbo all the time.

These people who complain about modern things like electronic handbrakes and such like but then often rely on other electronic items to “assist” their lives such as internet heating, auto lights wipers and all the other modern lazy toys.

Attachments

• 3724E89E-1AAB-4AD7-A88C-6C0BE952E460.jpeg
    3724E89E-1AAB-4AD7-A88C-6C0BE952E460.jpeg
    460.8 KB · Views: 29
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
+1 - same experience from the last 5 or 6 cars, and the lever is poorly placed on the outside of drivers seat on MHs - at least on LHD cars. So electronic handbrake is something we've opted for.
I do agree. The agricultural lever brake is an awkward incumberance on the Rhd Ducato's. Both cars we have are fitted with electronic handbrakes and they are simply superb and the anti rollback just first class. I accept there are Fiat detractors who may well be fully justified in their views but the technology is now well tried and tested and becoming standard I just hope Fiat do not mess up on this one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
my wife’s new 1.5 Tiguan yes it’s fine when moving or on the flat but she leaves it in sport mode most of the time because she thinks it’s dangerous in normal road and I have to say she is correct of junctions or islands if your off turbo boost your dead in the water for a few seconds.
My 2.0 4x4 Skoda Superb is a bit different with it's 280 horses, wife's Polo GTi is off it's head too but not as much of a hooligan as my previous 1.4 Fabia Vrs which drank a litre of oil every 2 months.

The Ford Transit engines are impressive and since late last year now offer a160 on all Euro specced vans. We only have the 130 coupled to the 6 speed auto in ours but it's now tackled Telegraph Hill in Devon 3 times like a Royal Marine scaling a cliff. Very responsive on motorways too, if your not careful you can easily find yourself flying along at 80. It's a different world compared to the 2.3 130 multijet II we had in the Tracker.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
My 2.0 4x4 Skoda Superb is a bit different with it's 280 horses, wife's Polo GTi is off it's head too but not as much of a hooligan as my previous 1.4 Fabia Vrs which drank a litre of oil every 2 months.

The Ford Transit engines are impressive and since late last year now offer a160 on all Euro specced vans. We only have the 130 coupled to the 6 speed auto in ours but it's now tackled Telegraph Hill in Devon 3 times like a Royal Marine scaling a cliff. Very responsive on motorways too, if your not careful you can easily find yourself flying along at 80. It's a different world compared to the 2.3 130 multijet II we had in the Tracker.
The failed turbo on my above photo is off a transit tdci engine.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The failed turbo on my above photo is off a transit tdci engine.
Is it off a rear wheel drive as although the exhaust & turbo flanges are the same the alignment is different as is the turbo mounting? I fitted a reconditioned one to my front wheel drive last week .
0-02-0a-211290cb2feef610272cad9c059491d2b82121e831873358afd97b2c6566e8ec_41558122f27d36c0.jpg

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
I have an electric park brake on my Citroen car. It is fine for most normal driving, but should I need to inch my way up a motorhome leveling ramp, I would find it very difficult.
I would have two choices:
Take a run at it (not such a good idea me thinks)
or
Release the brake and use the clutch to progress up the ramp. OK so far, but if I stop half way, I need to either apply said park brake or the foot brake.
If I apply the park brake I will then have to use some very delicate clutch juggling to prevent rolling back.
Or I could apply the foot brake, then manually release the park brake. This would automatically apply the hill start which would mean holding the vehicle on the clutch until the brakes automatically released.
So much easier for me and the clutch with a conventional park brake!!

Geoff

Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I have an electric park brake on my Citroen car. It is fine for most normal driving, but should I need to inch my way up a motorhome leveling ramp, I would find it very difficult.
I would have two choices:
Take a run at it (not such a good idea me thinks)
or
Release the brake and use the clutch to progress up the ramp. OK so far, but if I stop half way, I need to either apply said park brake or the foot brake.
If I apply the park brake I will then have to use some very delicate clutch juggling to prevent rolling back.
Or I could apply the foot brake, then manually release the park brake. This would automatically apply the hill start which would mean holding the vehicle on the clutch until the brakes automatically released.
So much easier for me and the clutch with a conventional park brake!!

Geoff
I get your point with a manual. However I suspect the majority of Ducato 8 MH buyers will be opting for the acclaimed ZF 9 speed auto box.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I get your point with a manual. However I suspect the majority of Ducato 8 MH buyers will be opting for the acclaimed ZF 9 speed auto box.

I would expect some kind of interlock programmed into the Ducato 8 ECU that prevents balancing the throttle and footbrake while using levelling blocks. i.e. if you try using the left foot on the brake pedal and right foot on the throttle pedal at the same time the revs will drop back to idle.

Good luck using the electronic parking brake while moving.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
At nearly £4000 extra I think a few will think twice. It's cheaper to opt for a 160ps upgrade with the 6 speed manual, that's only £2000 and you're getting the same torque.

Jul 28, 2021
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I would expect some kind of interlock programmed into the Ducato 8 ECU that prevents balancing the throttle and footbrake while using levelling blocks. i.e. if you try using the left foot on the brake pedal and right foot on the throttle pedal at the same time the revs will drop back to idle.

Good luck using the electronic parking brake while moving.
Auto and driving onto leveling blocks will be a breeze.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
At nearly £4000 extra I think a few will think twice. It's cheaper to opt for a 160ps upgrade with the 6 speed manual, that's only £2000 and you're getting the same torque.
The 9 speed autobox upgrade is worth it if you have a dodgy left knee like mine. Comfortmatic is OK for now but a bit of a compromise.

Auto and driving onto leveling blocks will be a breeze.

I agree that the torque converter should make it much easier than a manual + clutch situation.

I just hope that the Fun Syndicate scoops tonight's jackpot!

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
We went for the 9 speed auto option on our new van. It was costly, but we prefer autos

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
And it’s much more palatable if we think of it as a percentage of the total rather than actual £££ :LOL:

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The 9 speed autobox upgrade is worth it if you have a dodgy left knee like mine. Comfortmatic is OK for now but a bit of a compromise.
I need an auto, not allowed to drive anything else now but one of the reasons we looked and chose a Ford base was that the engine upgrade & auto box together are almost £3000 cheaper. Unless they do something radical I doubt I'll ever go back to Fiat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back