Ducato 8 - Anyone taken delivery of one yet? (1 Viewer)

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
Our dealer advised that all new Ducato-based motorhomes built after September 2021 would be on the new Ducato 8 platform.

I sat in a Ducato 8 PVC last week. The steering wheel and driver display are softer on the eye and more welcoming, but the changes were otherwise underwhelming. Apparently our van on order will come with some additional features as standard, such as the 10" screen, automatic cab aircon, wireless phone charging, LED running lights, so I'm happy about that.

Has anyone taken delivery of a Ducato 8 yet, and what are your thoughts?

Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Perpetual newbie
Not experienced any Ducato 8-based vebicle yet, hopefully that will change soon enough! We are eagerly awaiting our Pilote low-profile but it won't be built for another couple of months, so it will be on the new platform - however it seems most ads for new arrivals at the various dealers are on the new Ducato - looking a lot more car like interior-wise.

The standard spec is likely to vary depending on manufacturer and country, i e our Pilote won't have the 10” screen but a 9” Pioneer unit, no auto air-con etc, so better check with your dealer to avoid major disappointment when your MH gets delivered..

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
Not experienced any Ducato 8-based vebicle yet, hopefully that will change soon enough! We are eagerly awaiting our Pilote low-profile but it won't be built for another couple of months, so it will be on the new platform - however it seems most ads for new arrivals at the various dealers are on the new Ducato - looking a lot more car like interior-wise.

The standard spec is likely to vary depending on manufacturer and country, i e our Pilote won't have the 10” screen but a 9” Pioneer unit, no auto air-con etc, so better check with your dealer to avoid major disappointment when your MH gets delivered..
We have to wait until March for our delivery... I'm sure the months are getting longer since we made the order!

I took the spec from the UK specification brochure, looking at what was standard equipment. My only hesitation is that the semi conductor shortage has impacted supply chains, and I've heard of other deliveries not coming with the expected specification. Whether or not this will affect my order, and indeed yours, time will tell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We’re not getting any vehicle LED lights or climate control in the cab but should be getting wireless charger, auto handbrake and some of the safety pack items. The radio will be the 7” DAB with apple/android play so no sat nav in it.
The big question is when, ours should have been here this month but I’m guessing January at the earliest & as far as I know the dealers are no more knowledgeable than I am ☹️

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
We’re not getting any vehicle LED lights or climate control in the cab but should be getting wireless charger, auto handbrake and some of the safety pack items. The radio will be the 7” DAB with apple/android play so no sat nav in it.
The big question is when, ours should have been here this month but I’m guessing January at the earliest & as far as I know the dealers are no more knowledgeable than I am ☹️
Were the LED lights and climate control usually part of the standard spec, or were these options you didn't tick?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Saw the new one online, another face lift 🤔 Are they ever going to replace this 2006 van? I suppose when they do it will be designed from the ground up all electric.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
No the new van should be LED lights as far as I am aware with the new 21/ 40th anniversary facelift. They cannot get LED lights so halogen being fitted. Climate control as opposed to air conditioning was also expected to be standard. The 10” DAB unit should have been an option with a sat nav included but now not available to me at all. It’s difficult to really know what will come as the design changes were made in July & during the problems so only time will tell

Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Perpetual newbie
We're expecting delays as well so mentally preparing for that, our reseller doesn't seem to get much info from Pilote or they just keep it to themselves. The specs aren't helping either, standard vs option is confusing so we'll just have to wait and see - who knows, it could even turn out to be a positive surprise or two on day of delivery!

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
It gets worse! Adria have announced Fiat are not providing any metallic painted vans now, see HERE

Awaiting contact from my dealer to see if it impacts on my order. Not happy if it does & how can you easily decide when you are unlikely to see the colours in the flesh first

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
The new electronic handbrake sounds like trouble waiting to happen.
Why’s that? Are electronic handbrakes known to be troublesome in other Fiats?

I’ve had electronic parking brakes on two cars now. It’s works brilliantly.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Nothing intrinsically wrong with a manual handbrake on a relatively light vehicle. It sounds like you change your cars before they get old and maybe before they need a MOT test. Re cars with this device, I haven't heard much about FIATs, but allegedly some Ford models have had issues with electronic parking brakes. There's one on our Honda so I am relying on Honda's reputation for long term reliability. That, and the absence of a spare wheel, are today's take-it-or-leave-it impositions.

Do we really trust FIAT given the number of irritating but costly to fix electric-related faults we keep reading about on FUN. For example, the common airbag ECU failures. I was a victim of that one. Also, we read about problems with tyre deflation warning systems on the latest X290 that can only be recalibrated by the dealer, at a significant cost.

Whether we want it or not, FIAT is imposing a complex electronic solution for a very simple mechanical requirement. It offends the KISS principle. I admire your faith. How can you be sure that the parking brake is correctly applied every time you park on a slope? Fingers crossed, or if it does fail, should you carry wheel chocks as a back-up, just in case there isn't a handy loose brick or rock lying around. Be prepared as the Sprouts say.

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
Ah so is thats why it’s going to be a 2.2 not a 2.3
Theres no substitute for muscle and these engine’s are getting smaller it just doesn’t work with the weight, a few vans ago we had a good old 3.0 brilliant the last was a 2.3 bop ok but under powered on hills dread to think what a 2.2 will be like.

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
Nothing intrinsically wrong with a manual handbrake on a relatively light vehicle. It sounds like you change your cars before they get old and maybe before they need a MOT test. Re cars with this device, I haven't heard much about FIATs, but allegedly some Ford models have had issues with electronic parking brakes. There's one on our Honda so I am relying on Honda's reputation for long term reliability. That, and the absence of a spare wheel, are today's take-it-or-leave-it impositions.

Do we really trust FIAT given the number of irritating but costly to fix electric-related faults we keep reading about on FUN. For example, the common airbag ECU failures. I was a victim of that one. Also, we read about problems with tyre deflation warning systems on the latest X290 that can only be recalibrated by the dealer, at a significant cost.

Whether we want it or not, FIAT is imposing a complex electronic solution for a very simple mechanical requirement. It offends the KISS principle. I admire your faith. How can you be sure that the parking brake is correctly applied every time you park on a slope? Fingers crossed, or if it does fail, should you carry wheel chocks as a back-up, just in case there isn't a handy loose brick or rock lying around. Be prepared as the Sprouts say.
Not quite… we have two cars, both with electronic handbrakes, both from new and both now 6 years old. They have always been found where we left them ;)

I quite like my electric windows, mirrors, auto wipers, my TV remote, and so on. Did everything work manually before? Yup.

I won’t carry chocks, just as I don’t carry tape to hold my windows up in case the motor fails.

I might leave it in gear though :LOL:

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
Theres no substitute for muscle and these engine’s are getting smaller it just doesn’t work with the weight, a few vans ago we had a good old 3.0 brilliant the last was a 2.3 bop ok but under powered on hills dread to think what a 2.2 will be like.
I believe the new engines needed to be more efficient in order to meet Euro VI standards, hence making them slightly lower displacement

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
A 2.2 might use less diesel on level roads but I agree that it will be a bit more stressed pulling uphill. I always preferred a big displacement engine.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Not quite… we have two cars, both with electronic handbrakes, both from new and both now 6 years old. They have always been found where we left them ;)

I quite like my electric windows, mirrors, auto wipers, my TV remote, and so on. Did everything work manually before? Yup.

I won’t carry chocks, just as I don’t carry tape to hold my windows up in case the motor fails.

I might leave it gear though :LOL:

So you don't trust auto gearboxes? :whistle2:

[PS our Honda hybrid doesn't have a conventional built-in transmission brake in Park, so it's electronic brake or no brakes.]

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

Maybe the borrowed it from a LR discovery 3!!

2.3 - 2.2 isn't such a big drop in cc.

Not like 2.2 - 2.0 that transits dropped.

Cheers James

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Maybe the borrowed it from a LR discovery 3!!

2.3 - 2.2 isn't such a big drop in cc.

Not like 2.2 - 2.0 that transits dropped.

Cheers James

At the rate this trend is going the next generation Ducato might have a 1 litre engine with a massive turbo. Any cooling problems, suddenly and expensively it will go BANG in a cloud of smoke. :clown:

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
A 2.2 might use less diesel on level roads but I agree that it will be a bit more stressed pulling uphill. I always preferred a big displacement engine.
If the torque output is the same, does the displacement matter? I don’t really understand enough about it

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Maybe yes, maybe no, for van derivatives it's all about the torque.

Ford's 2.0 Ecoblue 170ps has more torque than Fiat's last 3.0 183ps.

The new Multijet III is a decent engine, not great but decent. The thing to watch out for though is their figures. They boast 380Nm torque on the 140ps but what they don't tell you is that it's the figure when bolted to the 9 speed auto. Manual transmission 140's have 350Nm.

The new 2.2 180ps multijet III is a beast with the 9 speed auto in it, you get 450Nm of torque, however both the manual 160 & 180 only have 380Nm, which is less pull than our 130ps Ford at 385Nm.

Personally I can't understand why many coachbuilders offer the 120ps as standard with every other variant a cost option. A loaded 3500kg motorhome will struggle with that under the bonnet never mind anything heavier.

I'm very disappointed with the series 8 especially as a skeletal chassis cab for motorhomes as most of the cab cost options aren't available anyway unless you opt for a special edition... and pay a premium for the privilege, plus most of those options were available on the series 7 too.

Basically it's a steering wheel and new dash clocks. Whoopdeedoo!

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
It gets worse! Adria have announced Fiat are not providing any metallic painted vans now, see HERE

Awaiting contact from my dealer to see if it impacts on my order. Not happy if it does & how can you easily decide when you are unlikely to see the colours in the flesh first
Having just spoken to my dealer (Highbridge) he says Fiat are only allowing motorhome manufactures 50% of their orders to be metallic so Adria are reserving all of their metallic cab allocation for the Matrix/Coral/Compact Supreme models. Other Manufacturers may do similar.
I am now curious as to why and forgot to ask.

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
I think cars and vans will start to get bigger engines again in the end as these small engines may have the torque on paper but they don’t seem to deliver it. I know for a fact we use more fuel on hills which means we must kick out more emissions. My old 3.0 fiat art used to do 26mpg my last 2.3 carthago was down to 24 it’s the same with my wife’s new 1.5 Tiguan yes it’s fine when moving or on the flat but she leaves it in sport mode most of the time because she thinks it’s dangerous in normal road and I have to say she is correct of junctions or islands if your off turbo boost your dead in the water for a few seconds.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
We dropped from a 3ltr to a 2.3 Ltr, the 3 ltr had been remapped and gave us 29mpg.
The 2.3ltr being a brand new engine was dreadful up hills and 24mpg, we ran it to 6000 miles then had it remapped turned it into a different vehicle, much better to drive mpg increased to 28 and no more up and down the gearbox.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Having just spoken to my dealer (Highbridge) he says Fiat are only allowing motorhome manufactures 50% of their orders to be metallic so Adria are reserving all of their metallic cab allocation for the Matrix/Coral/Compact Supreme models. Other Manufacturers may do similar.
I am now curious as to why and forgot to ask.
I'm guessing a lack of flexible paintshop capacity at Sevel, which is geared to doing all white vans? It could be a bottleneck unless FIAT (or Stellantis) are willing to invest in a paintshop capable of doing different colours all the time and not limited to spraying metallics to order in small batches.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I believe the new engines needed to be more efficient in order to meet Euro VI standards, hence making them slightly lower displacement
I expect that in the USA where they don't give a fig about Euro standards the Dodge badged version still uses a 3.5 petrol engine.

Jul 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Perpetual newbie

+1 - same experience from the last 5 or 6 cars, and the lever is poorly placed on the outside of drivers seat on MHs - at least on LHD cars. So electronic handbrake is something we've opted for.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back