LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
We had Bannock at the vets today before our return on Sunday morning, the vet asked us if we wanted him to have a tablet or injection (I speak beginner's French and the vet was in a similar position re English), we asked if there was a difference as Bear does not take tablets well, the vet said the only difference was a little pain, I asked if he meant the needle or after, he said the needle. So, as needles have never bothered Bannock in the past, we opted for an injection, which was administered without fuss from Bear, approximately 10 seconds after the injection Bannock started showing signs of distress, he tried to mouth my hand, he started squirming, and crying, I moved him off the table and onto the floor and tried massaging the area of the injection, all the time he was trying to find something to bite and was really, really agitated, I ended up giving him the plastic handle of the lead which he almost bit through in pain, I've never seen a dog in so much distress. Afterwards the vet said they feel like they are on fire!, wish he'd said that before.

Anyway hopefully, through this post, his pain will help others avoid it.

Cheers
Bannock, Red and Chris

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Our 2 had an injection last trip, no problem at all. I think it depends on the dog, or the dose. Hope Bannock is OK now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
That sounds terrible, hope there is no lasting effects. Poor Bannock

Reactions: GPW

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
We had Bannock at the vets today before our return on Sunday morning, the vet asked us if we wanted him to have a tablet or injection (I speak beginner's French and the vet was in a similar position re English), we asked if there was a difference as Bear does not take tablets well, the vet said the only difference was a little pain, I asked if he meant the needle or after, he said the needle. So, as needles have never bothered Bannock in the past, we opted for an injection, which was administered without fuss from Bear, approximately 10 seconds after the injection Bannock started showing signs of distress, he tried to mouth my hand, he started squirming, and crying, I moved him off the table and onto the floor and tried massaging the area of the injection, all the time he was trying to find something to bite and was really, really agitated, I ended up giving him the plastic handle of the lead which he almost bit through in pain, I've never seen a dog in so much distress. Afterwards the vet said they feel like they are on fire!, wish he'd said that before.

Anyway hopefully, through this post, his pain will help others avoid it.

Cheers
Bannock, Red and Chris

Feel really upset here. How awful for the little un but also for YOU. You must have felt so helpless ... I can't believe they give injections that cause so much anquish ... why not do in small doses if it so bad . I feel angry. So do the tablets make their tummies feel on fire?

Sorry. I'm going on and it not helping you but it upsets me .. can't begin to imzgine what you felt. :(

Reactions: GPW

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just found this statement on PetCare ... If you think he may be allergic to the drug maybe ask for an alternative if recurrence takes place? Hug for him from me.

Quote. Avoid using if the animal is found to have hypersensitivity towards the ingredients of the drug. Take special care to maintain hygienic conditions while administering Droncit therapy in animals as there are chances of reinfection. END QUOTE

OP
OP
RedFrame

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Thanks for your comments, after searching the forum for information AFTER the event and finding little, we just really wanted to ensure other's had the chance of knowledge.

movan, Bear is a hardy little chap and is now back to his normal self, I've given him a scruff and let him know it was from you ?, and yes, I can't describe how I felt, and still do, about puting him through it!

DBK, Bear takes most things in his stride, he usually lies down and goes to sleep on the examination table, with a treat and a few kind words from Miles, his home vet, we're sure to he'll get over it.

Jim, In this instance it was my fault, not the vet's, if I could speak French more fluently then he'd have had the tablet, no question. If I come across a vet in the future that insists on an injection, and/or does not inform me of the conseqences then he/she will...
A) Not be administering to Bannock.
B) Be on the recieving end of a tirade of Anglo Saxon filth.

We only hope that the thread at least provides additional information, and saves unnecessary pain.

Cheers
Red, Bannock and Chris

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Its not just that injection. We were in Javea a couple of years ago and our dog had diarrhoea and vomiting. Vet gave him an injection, no warning, he became extremely distressed and bit my arm.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
One of ours had the injection when we first started taking her abroad. It was very painful. Fortunately has not effected her love of vets in general. She's not good with tablets but thats what she has now.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Thanks for your comments, after searching the forum for information AFTER the event and finding little, we just really wanted to ensure other's had the chance of knowledge.

movan, Bear is a hardy little chap and is now back to his normal self, I've given him a scruff and let him know it was from you ?, and yes, I can't describe how I felt, and still do, about puting him through it!

DBK, Bear takes most things in his stride, he usually lies down and goes to sleep on the examination table, with a treat and a few kind words from Miles, his home vet, we're sure to he'll get over it.

Jim, In this instance it was my fault, not the vet's, if I could speak French more fluently then he'd have had the tablet, no question. If I come across a vet in the future that insists on an injection, and/or does not inform me of the conseqences then he/she will...
A) Not be administering to Bannock.
B) Be on the recieving end of a tirade of Anglo Saxon filth.

We only hope that the thread at least provides additional information, and saves unnecessary pain.

Cheers
Red, Bannock and Chris

Sorry you and your poor dog had to go through this. Glad he’s over it now. For future trips to French vets perhaps you could print on a card , in French, that your dog reacted to the injection, do not use. Tablet only for my dog.
Example :
Mon chien a eu une réaction indésirable à l'injection ( insert name of injection here ) ). Ne pas utiliser aujourd'hui, s'il vous plaît. Une pilule seulement pour mon chien. Je vous remercie

I’m sure now you know he’s too sensitive to the injection, a vet would want to know not to use it.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Have you thought about/tried taking your own tablet for the dog?

That is what we do. That way we can buy the nice chewable ones, that we know our beast will eat. We then also know it is the correct type required for the pet passport scheme.

Andy

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Yes thanks for the warning but sorry you all had to go through this.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Did the vet inject subcutaneous or intramuscular? This page says intramuscular may be preferred because of the brief period of pain which sometimes follows subcutaneous injections.

Broken Link Removed

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Ours will have worm tablets next week as it's time they were done again. Luckily quite a lot of brie in the fridge.
Meg actually had worms when we got her as a very small pup. Vet didn't think she had till she had a poo on his surgery floor and there was a roundworm wriggling around in it.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
this may be load of tosh but maybe of some use ... when having chemo I was in agony on one treatment ... it was basically that the nurse had set the drip incorrectly and the drug was going in way too fast.

could it be the vet injected it too quickly.? Not a doctor so that may be silly. Kept waking up thinking of the little un .. Glad he ok now.

carolyn

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
That’s awful, feel so sorry for you and your dog. The vet should have known to inject into the muscle. Glad all OK now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back