Driving licence in post with C1 on it (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Good afternoon,
I sent my medical document , licence , etc to the DVLA a month ago. We can't go anywhere at the moment but wondered if we lived in different times could I drive my van which needs to have the C1 category on it. Trying to find out from the DVLA is impossible.
Best wishes.
Chris

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
You should never send your old licence off as when your new one comes back with groups missing you won’t have any proof of having had those missing groups.
As far as I’m aware unless there are any reasons to not give you the C1 entitlement and you already had it, then you can carry on driving vehicles in whatever groups you have the entitlement for.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Good afternoon,
I sent my medical document , licence , etc to the DVLA a month ago. We can't go anywhere at the moment but wondered if we lived in different times could I drive my van which needs to have the C1 category on it. Trying to find out from the DVLA is impossible.
Best wishes.
Chris
If you already had C1 then you can drive your vehicle for up to a year after applying for replacement. It is section 88 of the Road Traffic Act.
However, if you didn’t have C1, you can only drive vehicles which match your old licence, but again it comes under Section 88.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Good afternoon,
Best wishes.
Chris
I went through this same situation some time ago.
You should never send your old licence off as when your new one comes back with groups missing you won’t have any proof of having had those missing groups.
As far as I’m aware unless there are any reasons to not give you the C1 entitlement and you already had it, then you can carry on driving vehicles in whatever groups you have the entitlement for.
l believe it is a requirement (not sure/memory failure) however,if it’s out of date it’s of no use in certain circumstances.
If you already had C1 then you can drive your vehicle for up to a year after applying for replacement. It is section 88 of the Road Traffic Act.
However, if you didn’t have C1, you can only drive vehicles which match your old licence, but again it comes under Section 88.

This is all well and good but if you do go abroad what do you show the Police at the side of the road if pulled over or in the event if an accident.

l phoned and wrote to the DVLA all to no avail and eventually my Licence arrived five month after my applicatio, l had left the UK for a 8 month trip as l thought sod it as it was disrupting my life, it then had to catch up with me on my travels.
l had a trouble free trip and got away without carrying my licence present.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I went through this same situation some time ago.

l believe it is a requirement (not sure/memory failure) however,if it’s out of date it’s of no use in certain circumstances.

This is all well and good but if you do go abroad what do you show the Police at the side of the road if pulled over or in the event if an accident.

l phoned and wrote to the DVLA all to no avail and eventually my Licence arrived five month after my applicatio, l had left the UK for a 8 month trip as l thought sod it as it was disrupting my life, it then had to catch up with me on my travels.
l had a trouble free trip and got away without carrying my licence present.

I sent my C1 in for renewal but gave as reason for not including then current licence the fact that I needed it to drive 'Category B' in EU and S.88 quoted by Annie above only covers one in UK.

Application was 2 months ago and no licence yet, and old one has expired so I cannot drive in EU(legally).

Geoff

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You decide whether to go or not. In our case while waiting (husband 12 months, me 9 months) the one without a licence in our hands didn’t drive whilst abroad.
Thankfully we are 2 years apart.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there are huge delays at DVLA, anything that requires a HUMAN then its a very long wait. if there is a query then there is a very very very long wait.

you can drive in the UK under section 88, while in the process of renewal you are allowed to drive unless specifically told not too. I am in that situation they have had my C1 renewal since August ( there was a query ) so you may be lucky.

you cannot should not however, drive outside the UK without the actual license unless you feel lucky.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
As we are no longer part of the EU I suggest that checks may be more robust

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS;; and you cant get an international driving permit without your UK license present and would also need to carry the UK one with it anyway.

OP
OP
Chris63
May 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Hi glenn 2926,
The form INF2D requested that I return my driving licence card minus the C1 category which was deleted from said licence on my 70th birthday. I will in due course , obviously slowed down by the current restrictions and will get my new licence with C1 added. I had to have a medical the results of which also had to be sent, registered post. The medical cost £100. I also took pictures of the submitted licence.
Regards Chris

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi glenn 2926,
The form INF2D requested that I return my driving licence card minus the C1 category which was deleted from said licence on my 70th birthday. I will in due course , obviously slowed down by the current restrictions and will get my new licence with C1 added. I had to have a medical the results of which also had to be sent, registered post. The medical cost £100. I also took pictures of the submitted licence.
Regards Chris
Hi Chris,
I'm surmising from this that you did not previously have C1 on your old licence. If that is the case as far as I am aware you cannot drive C1 until you have a licence with C1 on it. If, as is usual I have this the wrong way round and your old licence did have C1 on it, then providing there is no reason not to issue a new one you can continue to drive C1 vehicles. In this instance you do have the licence for C1. just not as a piece of plastic.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Sent in all my details 1 month ago, after having a medical with a doctor from D4 divers did it. As I had 3 stents 3 years ago he asked numerous questions about my health (fine) pills (gave him a copy of my prescriptions)
Yesterday I received letter from DVLA that they were contacting my GP for further information re my ability to drive !!
Called my GP and his secretary said yes she had the letter but would take time for the doctor to reply to it as he is very busy due to Covid !!
Have not been able to get an appointment with him as surgery is closed to patients and only telephone appoints now available !!
It bloody sucks, if you can go shopping wearing a mask then surely it should ok to do the same at you doctors !!!
Now have to call him to ask if I can drive under a section 88 !!!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sent in all my details 1 month ago, after having a medical with a doctor from D4 divers did it. As I had 3 stents 3 years ago he asked numerous questions about my health (fine) pills (gave him a copy of my prescriptions)
Yesterday I received letter from DVLA that they were contacting my GP for further information re my ability to drive !!
Called my GP and his secretary said yes she had the letter but would take time for the doctor to reply to it as he is very busy due to Covid !!
Have not been able to get an appointment with him as surgery is closed to patients and only telephone appoints now available !!
It bloody sucks, if you can go shopping wearing a mask then surely it should ok to do the same at you doctors !!!
Even in pre-covid days, GP delays cost us both months In getting licence renewed.
After 12 months of waiting, my husband had to approach our MP as the section 88 time was running out. In fact there is not much on the form for GP to fill out and you will probably be referred for further tests. These are paid for by DVLA but performed at local cardiac NHS so I would expect greater delays now.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

have a similar situation, i believe that these things are being handles at DVLA by juniors and they are unsure how to deal with anything that is absolutely a plain medical. so they farm it out. then when it comes back it goes to a different operative who will want different information.

all because none of them seem to want to make a decision.

my gP has written a reply to them and stated there is no reason i cannot continue with my existing driving categories, they replied with different questions..

so i am still waiting.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
have a similar situation, i believe that these things are being handles at DVLA by juniors and they are unsure how to deal with anything that is absolutely a plain medical. so they farm it out. then when it comes back it goes to a different operative who will want different information.

all because none of them seem to want to make a decision.

my gP has written a reply to them and stated there is no reason i cannot continue with my existing driving categories, they replied with different questions..

so i am still waiting.
There is at DVLA a “medical department”. However at the time of my husband’s application (5 years ago), this department consisted of one part-time doctor. Our MP reported to us that DVLA had promised to improve the “medical department” so that licence applications could be processed more quickly .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
There is at DVLA a “medical department”. However at the time of my husband’s application (5 years ago), this department consisted of one part-time doctor. Our MP reported to us that DVLA had promised to improve the “medical department” so that licence applications could be processed more quickly .
seems that is still the case, there is a med team of scribes and a Doctor " allegedly "! :rolleyes:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Posted D2 and D4 forms with extra form for sleep apnoea to DVLA on 22 December. DVLA web site now showing new license issued 18 January with all categories retained, valid until 29 February 2024. Less than 4 weeks to turn it around including Christmas and New Year. Very happy with that.

OP
OP
Chris63
May 12, 2016
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Hi Pausim,
Great to hear. I posted mine on 23rd, fingers crossed

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
According to the DVLA annual report 2019 - 2020

They "made 757,000 medical licensing decisions" that year

Below is a snapshot from the report and a link to the full report

IMG_20210214_193955.png

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2017
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4
Exp
Since March 2015
My licence expirEd end of November 2020 on my 70th birthday. I have just had the D4 eyesight test with my optician and medical with my GP. All documentation ready to be sent off for renewal of my licence retaining C1/D1 categories. It asks me to send my “last licence” BOTH PARTS? photo card and paper? I note members comments about keeping the old licence just in case all categories don’t get added to new licence but declaring the old licence “lost” attracts a £20 renewal fee! I would appreciate clarification on the above points please.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I sent mine but scanned / copied both sides and kept them.
I had a letter 3 weeks ago telling me that my photo was out of date and needed a new one, please supply one, £17 and my licence 🙄 which they already have.
They have had my application since 10th August and they had the cheek to give me 14 days to send the photo and payment or my licence was cancelled.. 😵😵
My advice is keep a copy of everything you send them including thr D4.
And
Don't give them any reason to question anything you send or don't send or you will regret it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My licence expirEd end of November 2020 on my 70th birthday. I have just had the D4 eyesight test with my optician and medical with my GP. All documentation ready to be sent off for renewal of my licence retaining C1/D1 categories. It asks me to send my “last licence” BOTH PARTS? photo card and paper? I note members comments about keeping the old licence just in case all categories don’t get added to new licence but declaring the old licence “lost” attracts a £20 renewal fee! I would appreciate clarification on the above points please.
I did the same as Phill D sent the license off but kept copies of the old one.

If your license expired back in November I assume you did the standard renewal then and are now applying to get the C1/D1 reinstated.

Sep 8, 2017
Monmouth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4
Exp
Since March 2015
No I understood the DVLA advice that I had 11 months from the date of expiry of my old one.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008

If you have concerns about sending off the old licence and losing info then use the licence check function on the Gov.UK website and view/save all your licence history.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007

If you have concerns about sending off the old licence and losing info then use the licence check function on the Gov.UK website and view/save all your licence history.
If your license has expired at 70 and not renewed it will show no entitlement.
Been there...

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS, if you are fortunate enough that it is still shown I would screen shot it and save it for a rainy day

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Hi Groggy64,
A lot of us have been here
so as has been said, be meticulous about keeping copies of everything,
they hold ALL the cards, with regard to issuing you with your license
At one renewal, I even had my NHS cardiologist ring the DVLA doctors, (something which is allowed doctor to doctor)
as I had a ticker issue and had angina, which was totally stable with a daily tablet, under his care,
the DVLA medical clowns felt I needed to have an heart artery stent inserted,
which is what my cardio man did not agree with, as being necessary or beneficial,
The DVLA medical clowns did not even have another cardiologist examine me for another opinion
my cardio man's words to me after his tele[phone conversation with them was,
" they are bloody impossible to deal with" it looks if you want your C1, you will have to undergo a stent insertion,
which I had to have done, with absolutely no change in my angina symptoms,
it is the same today as it has been for years
So the bottom line to all of us is stay on the right side of the faceless DVLA medical section,
as they hold our future driving categories in their hands

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Groggy64,
A lot of us have been here
so as has been said, be meticulous about keeping copies of everything,
they hold ALL the cards, with regard to issuing you with your license
At one renewal, I even had my NHS cardiologist ring the DVLA doctors, (something which is allowed doctor to doctor)
as I had a ticker issue and had angina, which was totally stable with a daily tablet, under his care,
the DVLA medical clowns felt I needed to have an heart artery stent inserted,
which is what my cardio man did not agree with, as being necessary or beneficial,
The DVLA medical clowns did not even have another cardiologist examine me for another opinion
my cardio man's words to me after his tele[phone conversation with them was,
" they are bloody impossible to deal with" it looks if you want your C1, you will have to undergo a stent insertion,
which I had to have done, with absolutely no change in my angina symptoms,
it is the same today as it has been for years
So the bottom line to all of us is stay on the right side of the faceless DVLA medical section,
as they hold our future driving categories in their hands
Similar issue.
The D4drivers doctor made 2 errors on my form, 1 put the incorrect sclae on the eyesight test, and 2 put a tick in the box that I had some sort of cardiology tests which is incorrect.
It has taken until 2 weeks ago to rectify all of this.
I had to have a full eye examination and it took over 4 months for my GP to convince them that I had no cardiac issues. And I had to jump through several hoops.
They will not believe you once you have any anomalies on your application.

D4drivers accepted no responsibility and were totally defensive of their Dr.

DVLA have informed me that my licence is authorised, but it's not arrived as yet.
It will be 8 months on the 10th of April

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back