Drive swapping scheme, just wondering (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Good idea. We were grateful to use another's drive when we needed to park in Sheffield for the Tour de France and only met the owner the following year in Spain.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Lynne Roy mentioned drive swapping may be the way to go on a recent post which made me wonder if there was a such a scheme in operation. There must be lots of people on this forum, who like us have a drive with hook up and water that may be interested in such a scheme.
Nice idea but I’m not sure neighbours would be too happy. In a nice, remote rural situation it might work.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
there already is 'sort of' - look under house sitting ....

We have offered our drive for use a couple of times now, in exchange for cutting the lawns !

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
From memory there was / is something as part of the motorcaravanners club. Not been a member for a few year so unsure if it's still going.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
As previously mentioned there's driveway house sitting section on here https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/forums/motorhome-house-sitting/ but extending it & having our own Fun version of something like this www.homecamper.com might be popular? Lots of Facebook groups doing this but not necessarily well. MCC have Safe Knights & Night Stops scheme but don't know how many listings.

not sure what you mean by extending it, why cant we just use it as it is? or would it make it that much better?

our drive in Clacton on Sea is likely to be free from the 16th for a couple of weeks, we dont have neighbours, so no curtain twitchers and as there is usually a van on the drive anyway .......

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
not sure what you mean by extending it, why cant we just use it as it is? or would it make it that much better?
Currently most requests & offers are for properties being left empty to improve security, care for animals or tend gardens but maybe if Jim likes the idea there could be scope to have our own (Fun Stops?) listings for those who may be present at their properties but can still offer driveway or garden overnight stops with or without facilities to fellow members as MCC currently do. It may get complicated if Funsters charge for this like https://www.justpark.com/uk/ but sure he will know what's feasible :)
our drive in Clacton on Sea is likely to be free from the 16th for a couple of weeks, we dont have neighbours, so no curtain twitchers and as there is usually a van on the drive anyway .......
If you post that in the motorhome house sitting section sure some would be keen to take you up on that kind offer subject to Gov. rules then.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
How would you get on if your cassette gets full? Just wondering?

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Sorry, I misread the OP and thought it said "Wife Swapping Scheme"...........I feel a bit silly now.........mind you, if there is anyone else out there who has made the same mistake please PM me................

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'd love to put my drive up for parking of funsters vans but, it has a bottleneck which means there is only a few inches either side of a motorhome & to get through it, you need the mirrors to be folded in!
Tis not for the uninitiated. :unsure:
Below is
Tight fit.JPG
our last caravan squeezing through the gap!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Sounds like a fine idea to me. If anyone needs a stopover 5 miles from the North Norfolk Coast (with pub [post Covid] and shop less than 1/2 a mile) then feel free to PM me. The main restriction is the width of our gates, so probably only suitable for a PVC and 6.5 to 7 metres length would probably be the max. Hook-up (13A), water and cassette dump not a problem. Cost would be a couple of beers :) View of the "car park" here. The van on the left is to 6.2m to give it some scale.
carpark.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
no-one interested in Clacton on Sea then for the summer?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back