Drain down for winter (1 Viewer)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Now this may or may not be of interest regards a winter drain down as i am talking about our static caravan but could be usefull for a MH.
We needed to drain our static down for winter as will not be going again now till March, site wanted £75 to drain it down so thought i would do it myself. Disconnected the mains water supply and opened all the taps, some water came out but not loads.
Spoke to maintenance guy and he said they connect a compressor to the pipe and blow through all the excess water. Well i dont have a compressor to hand so had to improvise, so bought a bike inner tube cut in in half and tied a knott in one end. Taped the other end to the kitchen tap then blew up the innertube with my bike pump until i dare not go any more. Then opened the kitchen tap whilst one other tap in bathroom was open and loads of water forced out the lines.
Repeated for all taps and the shower and got over 1 ltr of warer out the pipes that was stuck in there.
So a very cheap way of forcing the water out the pipes just thought i would share incase you need to do proper drain down over winter and want to be sure you have got it all out.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you have a “wet” central heating system that needs protecting too. We have a caravan and I flushed the system and added an antifreeze and inhibitors to protect down to -17c. Blowing the fresh water system is standard practice and don’t forget to flush the loo and disconnect the shower flexible hose too. ?

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Yes flushed both toilets then added lots of salt to the water left in the toilet to stop it freezing, some people said put anti freeze in the toilet but i didn't like the idea of flushing that into the water course in March so used lots of dishwasher salt instead.
The central heating system has anti freeze in it so will be fine.
Removed shower hose too

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
After replacing two taps I ALWAYS leave taps open. The 12 volts system has to be turned off too to say straining pump if microswitch activated

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Be careful with any compressed air that pressure isn’t too high so you could risk damage to a seal somewhere especially if you forgot to fully open a pipe loop

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Be careful with any compressed air that pressure isn’t too high so you could risk damage to a seal somewhere especially if you forgot to fully open a pipe loop

Yes i agree that is one reason i used the bike innertube as no danger of too much pressure but the sudden surge of air from the inflated innertube once the tap is opened is enough to clear the pipes of any water trapped anywhere

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes i agree that is one reason i used the bike innertube as no danger of too much pressure but the sudden surge of air from the inflated innertube once the tap is opened is enough to clear the pipes of any water trapped anywhere
28psi is normal mains water pressure. Plumbing fittings are safe over 200psi for water, 100psi for air. I only know this because I used plumbing kit to pipe my workshop for air. :smiley:

Euro330

Banned
Aug 16, 2019
Carnoustie
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 640
Exp
About 5years
Now this may or may not be of interest regards a winter drain down as i am talking about our static caravan but could be usefull for a MH.
We needed to drain our static down for winter as will not be going again now till March, site wanted £75 to drain it down so thought i would do it myself. Disconnected the mains water supply and opened all the taps, some water came out but not loads.
Spoke to maintenance guy and he said they connect a compressor to the pipe and blow through all the excess water. Well i dont have a compressor to hand so had to improvise, so bought a bike inner tube cut in in half and tied a knott in one end. Taped the other end to the kitchen tap then blew up the innertube with my bike pump until i dare not go any more. Then opened the kitchen tap whilst one other tap in bathroom was open and loads of water forced out the lines.
Repeated for all taps and the shower and got over 1 ltr of warer out the pipes that was stuck in there.
So a very cheap way of forcing the water out the pipes just thought i would share incase you need to do proper drain down over winter and want to be sure you have got it all out.
Fair play. I like trying to overcome problems myself with a bit of ingenuity. I like that 10/10

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back