Downloading GPX Files To Garmin Camper 770 (1 Viewer)

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Hello
Please could you help. I have a number of gpx files (downloaded from a website) that I want to import into my Garmin Camper 770. I've attached the camper to my laptop and dropped these into a GPX folder that I have found in the Garmin. Now I want to use these in the trips application on the Garmin but they will not show. Am I doing this totally wrong, do I need to use Basecamp, convert them and copy across or is there something much simpler that needs to be done? Thanks for your help. Has anyone done anything similar?

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
You'll need to import via Basecamp. Most, if not all Garmin units transfer the file into the gpx folder as part of the upload process. Dropping them in directly, as you've discovered, doesn't work. Also, make sure you are loading routes, not tracks. The units can't, IIRC, read tracks.

OP
OP
A
Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Thanks for your reply
ok so I have them in Basecamp and it has put them in my collection. Basecamp picks up my Camper 770 when I connect it to my laptop via USB. Should I then do to the Device menu and click on send my collection to my device, I then select my Camper 770 and click ok what actually happens then? Where does it write it to the device and how do I access the gpx content?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Does anyone know if the Garmin Camper 660 will work with Mapsource? Try as I might I cant get my head around Basecamp, Mapsource is a far easier product to work with.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Does anyone know if the Garmin Camper 660 will work with Mapsource? Try as I might I cant get my head around Basecamp, Mapsource is a far easier product to work with.
I liked Mapsource but for me Garmin nobbled it and moved to Basecamp.
And I find Basecamp odd / hardwork.
I have a Garmin Nuvi sat nav & Oregon hand held GPSr.
Both of those would work with Mapsource or Basecamp.

Also, gpx files are already a Garmin supported format so just need placing onto the devices storage. Somewhere like e:\garmin\gpx
There, they’ll be loaded at the devices next power on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Don't know if it works the same as for you guys but I use a Garmin Edge Explore on my bike and wwww.ridewithgps which creates GPX files of the route.
In ridewithgps, I create a route and then it gives the option to export to various sources.
I choose export to Garmin and it creates a GPX file which it stores in "C" downloads.
I then plug in my Garmin to my laptop via USB and get a 2nd window up showing "E" / Garmin / New Files
Drag and drop the relavent file from C Downloads to E /Garmin / New Files.
It should then show up in courses / saved courses on the Garmin.
HTH

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Don't know if it works the same as for you guys but I use a Garmin Edge Explore on my bike and www.ridewithgps which creates GPX files of the route.
1. In ridewithgps, I create a route and then it gives the option to export to various sources.
2.I choose export to Garmin and it creates a GPX file which it stores in "C" downloads.
3.I then plug in my Garmin to my laptop via USB and get a 2nd window up showing "E" / Garmin / New Files
4.Drag and drop the relavent file from C Downloads to E /Garmin / New Files.
5. It should then show up in courses / saved courses on the Garmin.
HTH
Good write up. 😎
Couldn’t you do step 3 first then for what was step 2,save to the Garmin GPSr \garmin folder instead of Window’s default location? 🤔

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back