Don't tell people you're new to motorhoming! (1 Viewer)

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
Last year we bought our first motorhome from a dealer in the South East. He said to me, 'don't tell people you're new to motorhoming... they get a bit funny about new people joining their clique, especially given your age'

12 months and nearly 6000 miles later, I can't say I've encountered anyone unwelcoming, unfriendly, rude, cold or whatever. In fact, everyone we've met has been incredibly helpful and kind.

Maybe they all just grumble under their breaths as we leave :LOL:

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I was going to say something rude about dealers…….but I’m still on my first home made blackberrry gin so managed to refrain. Like us,they are not all perfect!

Im glad you have had a great start in motorhoming. We’ve only been doing it for four and a bit years and have never had any problems with site wardens,CL’s or other motor homer’s/tuggers.

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
I was going to say something rude about dealers…….but I’m still on my first home made blackberrry gin so managed to refrain. Like us,they are not all perfect!

Im glad you have had a great start in motorhoming. We’ve only been doing it for four and a bit years and have never had any problems with site wardens,CL’s or other motor homer’s/tuggers.
Umm, tuggers?! Dare I ask?!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Last year we bought our first motorhome from a dealer in the South East. He said to me, 'don't tell people you're new to motorhoming... they get a bit funny about new people joining their clique, especially given your age'

It's amazing how many motorhome dealers and salespeople I've met over the years who have never spent a single night in a motorhome and have no idea at all about the motorhome community.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
He said to me, 'don't tell people you're new to motorhoming... they get a bit funny about new people joining their clique,

That's understandable because too many incompetent newbies are driving like Merton and also filling up our campsites.

especially given your age'

It might help to get a m/h with a garage in which to keep your mobility scooter, cassette trolley, elasticated waist trousers, walking poles and Crocs.

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
That's understandable because too many incompetent newbies are driving like Merton and also filling up our campsites.

It might help to get a m/h with a garage in which to keep your mobility scooter, cassette trolley, walking poles and Crocs.
:LOL:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

It might help to get a m/h with a garage in which to keep your mobility scooter, cassette trolley, elasticated waist trousers, walking poles and Crocs.
Pablotty …… you do actually have and use crocs, I hope. They are mandatory, you know. And with socks :rofl: Failing that, shoes done up with Velcro straps

Motorhoming by and large is a great community….. pleased that you are enjoying it

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
Pablotty …… you do actually have and use crocs, I hope. They are mandatory, you know. And with socks :rofl: Failing that, shoes done up with Velcro straps

Motorhoming by and large is a great community….. pleased that you are enjoying it
My fiancé is likely to reconsider if I adopt the the Crocs with socks look. I'd best hasten the wedding so I can don the shoes in order to be fully welcomed into the MH community :LOL:

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Simply doesn’t matter how old or young you are, how experienced you are or are not.

Everyone you meet will either be friendly and helpful or not.

Spent my life on the road, and in simple terms people in general just want to be friendly and helpful, it’s rare but some don’t, so just walk away.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Simply doesn’t matter how old or young you are, how experienced you are or are not.

Everyone you meet will either be friendly and helpful or not.

Spent my life on the road, and in simple terms people in general just want to be friendly and helpful, it’s rare but some don’t, so just walk away.
Well said (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It's amazing how many motorhome dealers and salespeople I've met over the years who have never spent a single night in a motorhome and have no idea at all about the motorhome community.
Or any knowledge on what they’re selling….🤔

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
In fact, he even said something about telling people our parents were into motorhoming so we didn't come across as green.

Ma and Pa were enthusiastic tuggers. Brother and sister do tenting. We also tugged for three years before Mrs DDJC looked at me as we heaved our van into position on a site Rome and snapped, "We're getting a motorhome."

Never looked back and found this site to be full of extremely experienced, helpful, friendly and witty people.

The only adverse reactions I ever received were from tenters. In Western France, loud enough for us to hear, this woman called out "Well, motorhomes aren't really camping, are they?" And next morning as she emerged grumpily, from her polyester palace, stretching and moaning about her back, Mrs DDJC called out to me (loudly) from where we sat having proper coffee and cheese omelettes, "Well, tents aren't really a holiday, are they?" Being a nice guy, I still gave them a jump start when their PoS car wouldn't start the next day.

Similar experience from some twerp in Vaud, Switzerland. He was slightly sneering at our bus as he put up his traditional canvas bell tent next to us overlooking Lac Leman. Comments about 'proper camping' and 'living off the land' (this was at a very well appointed campsite, with a supermarket a few yards from the entrance!). However, he forgot to close the door ties before he had pegged it out and it wouldn't close. He took it down, and tried again, but Mrs Twerp then complained that the door should point out towards the lake, so down it came again. Didn't look very relaxing to me, and their two noisy Twerplets looked bored, sunburned and hungry.

But only ever positives from Chuggers or Tuggers.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Your lucky DuxDeluxe didn't answer that one, I did think 'Oh no' when I saw he had laughed.:giggle:
Bless him, he's afraid he'll end up in our freezer.;)
You mean that you were rather hoping to see my reply.......... :wink:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I went to view a van from a dealer in Southampton. Made the mistake of telling him I was viewing another with a private seller the next day.

When I arrived at the private addres, the owners informed me that the dealer had called and asked them not to sell me their van, so I could buy his, now that’s a desperate cunning dealer.

Brought the private van and 🖕 to the dealer

OP
OP
P

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
The dealer further unimpressed me when it came to a few warranty niggles. As they were not local to me, I emailed and called a number of times, and they were pretty unresponsive and unhelpful. I eventually sorted the issues at my own expense.

I ended up giving a fair and representative Google Review based on the service I had received. They replied almost instantly to the review with a public justification saying something along the lines of 'Apologies, we've been really busy dealing with an unprecedently level of new business'

And that was exactly the issue. Very happy to sell us the motorhome and take our 50 grand, but reluctant to assist once after the vehicle had left the forecourt, despite their 'water tight' warranty.

We live and learn!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back