Dometic roll out awning (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
After almost thirty years of using Fiamma products our new motorhome came equipped with a Dometic model and we have struck a problem.

On attempting to stow the awning we cannot make the legs stay in place in the outer casing. Folding them into place and locating the foot plates behind the keeper in the centre of the casing does not keep them in place during rewinding.

The swivel joints, at the outer end of the casing where the legs attach, allows the hinge to swing outlwards, withdrawing the foot plates from the keeper and allowing the legs to drop out.

We have no instruction manual, our dealer has closed for the duration and on-line manuals on the Dometic website do not show our mechanism. To add to the problem there is no model or serial number on the awning casing. Without the numbers Dometic seem unwilling to help, simply referring us to the dealer.

If anyone can understand my explanation, and make any constructive suggestion, I would be grateful.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It may help to lubricate the legs so that the spring near the foot, which keeps them in place works better

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Can you glue something inside them so that as a temporary measure you can use elastic band / bungy elastic?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Pictures always help?
Yes, I know, but when the awning is open it takes three of us at the moment to close it! Two holding one leg in place each and the other winding. When I can organise it, keeping social distance, I will post pics of the appropriate parts.

Thanks to all for the replies.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
It may help to lubricate the legs so that the spring near the foot, which keeps them in place works better
There does not appear to be any spring loading in the foot. The legs slides in and out easily. The leg lock, in the upper half works fine but it is the hinge at the top of the leg rotating that is causing the problem. Will try to get pics of the various bits when I have some help.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
There does not appear to be any spring loading in the foot. The legs slides in and out easily. The leg lock, in the upper half works fine but it is the hinge at the top of the leg rotating that is causing the problem. Will try to get pics of the various bits when I have some help.
Sorry
I meant the spring in the top of the leg which presses the foot into position

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Robert Clark

Since posting I have managed to find a manual which looks like our awning. If so, the centre securing plate will be the problem so I will check that when I know I have assistance to restow it, just in case I am wrong.

Whether I fix it or not, I will provide photos. They might either help people to help me or, if I fix it, may help others in future.

Thanks for the comments.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Can you glue something inside them so that as a temporary measure you can use elastic band / bungy elastic?
Possible but, since it is new and there will, eventually, be the warranty to fall back on, I wonā€™t glue anything in as yet.

I am not yet convinced if there is a problem or it is just different to the Fiammas I am used to. ie ā€œuser errorā€.

Dec 16, 2017
Funster No

At 3min 21 seconds you can see the legs clipped in.
The legs are sprung when compressed to give tension to keep them in place.
The model number is usually on a plate inside the casing.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

At 3min 21 seconds you can see the legs clipped in.
The legs are sprung when compressed to give tension to keep them in place.
The model number is usually on a plate inside the casing.

Thank you for the link but three problems.

The video is for Thule and ours is Dometic. From the video they are not the same.

There is no spring tension in the legs on ours.

As in my original post, there is no model or serial number anywhere .

I did watch the video though, just in case. Thanks for trying to help. (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just looked at this video, almost identical to my Thule Omnistore and they show the legs being sprung.

• Informative
Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just looked at this video, almost identical to my Thule Omnistore and they show the legs being sprung.

Yes, but ours is not an Omnistore.

Will post when I have the solution in the hope of helping others.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Once again my apologies Lenny HB .

I have now watched the video but it is not the same model as ours. (I had found it during my searches but thanks anyway).

The spring and clip are near the foot on the video, ours is on the upper part of the leg and near the outer end of the awning casing when ready for stowing.

From the manual I have found (post#8) I think the problem may be with the position of the centre retaining catch.

I will report back if I find the answer.

It goes to show. We started motorhoming in 1984 and still donā€™t know what we are doing!:(

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Have you got ant photos?
See my previous posts re problems getting photos.

I hope to get some when I can be sure I have help to close the case if I canā€™t resolve the problem at the time.

A real pain in the a&*e caused either by bad design or a thick operator. :rolleyes: After almost 30 years of Fiamma I am finding the Dometic very ā€œuser unfriendly.ā€ The lack of a user manual doesnā€™t help.

The somewhat unhelpful attitude of Dometic themselves doesnā€™t endear me to them either.

No doubt, when I sort it out I will be happy.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have you got ant photos?
Any good?

1586377887780.png

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Well. Very much as expected the only problem was user error. :giggle:

Before returning the leg to the stowed position in the outer casing it was necessary to turn the leg through 90 degrees while it was still vertical, then hinge it up 90 degrees towards the centre and then locate into the retainer plate. Without a manual or instructions we couldnā€™t sort it out.

Having found a manual on-line yesterday I would like to say that I spotted our error. Unfortunately that
wouldnā€™t be true. It was my wife who worked out from the diagram in the manual what we should do.

I doubt I will ever live that down!:rolleyes:

For those that tried to help, or may be interested, here are the promised pics.

First, the problem we had trying to line up the leg with the securing plate.

4681CEE0-7E10-4D67-A0B9-7A7E50A2FDB9.jpeg

When in the stowed position the grey boss could not be made to engage with the groove in the black foot as the metal foot plate got in the way. It is not possible to rotate the leg in that position.

Next the correct stowage having found the manual and twisted the leg before lifting into the case allowing the boss and groove to line up.

D7DF15E4-A462-4851-9605-487C6FF493A9.jpeg

Yes, I know! Itā€™s bloody obvious!

But it wasnā€™t yesterday!

So, after thirty years+ of motorhoming I am proud(?) to say I can still make a complete prat of myself without too much effort.

Many thanks to all who tried to help with suggestions.

Golden Graham !

Free Member
Nov 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion1
Exp
10yrs
Thanks Mr Maison. We, also, just used our new Damnetic awning. And, always had Fiamma before. Ditto problems with getting the legs to stay located during rewind! Ditto no manual. Our was even harder as there are two "center" locators ( presumably it's longer than yours). The end of a very frustrating day. I did try rotating it but still never got the legs to stay located. I held them in, stood on a stool, while the boss turned the rewind handle, that was then a pain to remove. We also found a bunch of tubes with not even a Dometic label, to suggest they belonged to the awning. A central brace it seems. And of course, like everything else, just now. "We are so sorry, but due to Covid restrictions ....Zzzzzzz....etc...ad nauseum... etc...."

Thank you for your perseverance, No you are not at all daft, it's just a pathetic design. The flimsy plastic locking levers will last five minutes, and the faffy handle location is dubious too. Never had a problem with Thule, or Fiamma.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
It's the old Prostor awning, Dometic bought them about 5/6 years ago. We had one on our old PVC and if the guy who built our van hadn't shown us, I wouldn't have known that you need to slide the legs down a bit to engage behind the two grey pegs. It's not obvious as you do think that it's a fitment for a torsion type storm pole that fits under the canopy and attaches to the roof mounted cassette.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I know the OP was a year old, but we did the same
And never looked on here for the solution......2 lessons learntšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Golden Graham !

Free Member
Nov 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion1
Exp
10yrs
Thanks Mel. I do get fed up with the hundreds of TLA's but don't usually get stuck on two's šŸ¤”šŸ¤£

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back