Dometic RMD 8505 gas fault (1 Viewer)

Mar 11, 2013
England
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 1990
At a little over 3 years old, my Carthago developed a fault with the Dometic RMD 8505 fridge freezer (AES) would not attempt to light when on gas. The auto selection worked as it should and the unit worked normally on mains and 12V. I decided to investigate further and removed the power control module at the bottom rear of the unit. This is easily accessed on removal of the bottom grille. On inspection, there was evidence of overheating within the power module. I searched on line for a replacement module and was shocked at the variation in price, ranging from £200 to £285. I then rang a local caravan dealer who have a very efficient on-line shop, Kenmore Caravans of Mirfield. The unit was ordered from them and they phoned me 4 days later to inform me that it had arrived and was ready for collection as I live only a few miles away. The cost, £154 ! I fitted the new module and fridge freezer is now working as it should on gas. I am informed that the failure of these power modules is a common fault. I do despair at poor quality of dometic components, coupled with the astronomical prices of associated spare parts.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
they have to justify the price of the whole fridge unit I guess :unsure:

having paid £1600 for a very heavily discounted replacement unit for ours last year ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I know 3 other people where that unit has failed luckily all under warranty.
I'm not impressed with Dometic products most seem not fit for purpose.

We need uncomplicated products that work an easy to fix, PIA if you a couple hundred miles from a dealer or service centre when the got to have microprocessor fails in a unit.

Not just Dometic all manufacturers these days appear to fit microprocessors & loads of electronics for the sake it. Probably to make the product look more impressive so they can sell it for a higher price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Mine, on our Carthago also failed, 2.5 mths outside of warranty, this summer, just as we started a 5 week tour of France/Spain. Cost £160 to replace via 2U Services.
As mentioned seems a common, expensive failure!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back