Dometic fridge/freezer not working on gas (1 Viewer)

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
We are off grid in west Wales. We have gas, the gas is turned in, we heard the normal 'clicking' before ignition, the gas light is glowing normally and the fridge is on highest setting. But the fridge and freezer are definitely not cold (ice cream has melted). Was working fine at home on 240v. Any ideas what's going on?
68AA5D64-058D-424E-8CB1-1E1CDE254DE1.jpeg

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
The usual suspects are: if the flame is good, blue and steady then the flue may need cleaning, the burner or baffle may have moved

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks! How do I inspect the flame and see whether the baffle/burner have moved? Is that don from outside?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks Mr Ex Gasman. I'll have a look when we get home later today. Final question: upper or lower vent?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I don't know why but it is often said that you get a colder fridge freezer with the setting one notch down from maximum. This works for us!

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Dazzlin beat me to it!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use two pips down from max to get the coldest :)
Also, it is that time when you need ve nt covers going on

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Also, it is that time when you need ve nt covers going on
Carefully if using vent covers on when using gas.....can get VERY hot behind top vent unless your chimney exhausts through vent and not to back off fridge.

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks everyone. Going to try setting two notches up.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We solved our problem by turning the freezer upside down and banging it
YES I KNOW IT SOUNDS CRAZY
But it is well known amongst salvage yards and repairers.

The principle being that the tubes carrying the coolant around become blocked with some gunk
and the fluid cannot circulate correctly
Turning the fridge upside down and giving a good bumping in the process dislodges the gunk and clears the
tubes allowing circulation to re-commence as normal.

Yes it worked for us

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We solved our problem by turning the freezer upside down and banging it
YES I KNOW IT SOUNDS CRAZY
But it is well known amongst salvage yards and repairers.

The principle being that the tubes carrying the coolant around become blocked with some gunk
and the fluid cannot circulate correctly
Turning the fridge upside down and giving a good bumping in the process dislodges the gunk and clears the
tubes allowing circulation to re-commence as normal.

Yes it worked for us
I used to repair fridges and this does work, but the OP's fridge works on electric so not the problem here

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Agree about not running at highest setting. Not on our fridge but we had a problem with the oven over time our pilot light had moved slightly and didn’t allow oven to stay on. Not very technical answer but might help

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
It is correct - works perfectly on electric (12v and 240v). Took Gasman's advice and removed lower vent. It was a bit grimy in there (almost 10 years old). Discovered flame box bottom right. Removed cover to reveal steady blue flame. Had a bit of clean up in there, put it all back together and fired it up, two notches below max. That was several hours ago and neither fridge, nor freezer are feeling cold. Blocked flue maybe? Is that accessed from top vent? BTW, had thorough habitation check 16 months ago when we purchased it - but don't know when last habitation service was.

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Yes, good point. Need to find good hab engineers in far west Wales. Any recommendations?

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
Just a long shot but anything to do with it needing re-pasting or not level ?

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
We're back home now and mh is in barn on level ground. Fridge on gas but not getting cold. Don't know what re-pasting is.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We're back home now and mh is in barn on level ground. Fridge on gas but not getting cold. Don't know what re-pasting is.
Re pasting is re application of thermal bonding past to the fins at the back of the fridge, if the fridge is over 10 years old it can help, but again if it works on electric it's not that

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Its usually the jet partially blocked ten minute job there a video on utube how to

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
You can have a nice looking blue flame, but if it's not making a "roaring" sound, it'll never get your fridge cold. As mitzi says, get yourself on YouTube and check out videos of jet cleaning.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Flu cleaning
BEFORE trying to clean the flu
Trun the fridge off completely and let the burner unit cool down then cover the burner unit and everything below with a clean rag. Cleaning the flu means loads of crap drops down into the burner unit area
SO COVER THE BURNER
Ease of access to clean the flu depends on the make and model of vehicle.
it can be very easy
it can be a slightly more complicated
it can be difficult
It may mean you want to sell the vehicle instead of cleaning the flu :laughing:
Remove the upper and lower vent grills (usually just 2 bayonet buttons turned with a coin)

We have a Dometic fridge freezer
the flue is simply a chimney pipe surrounded by an layer of insulation
At the top of the chimney is a hollow cowl cap which directs the waste fumes towards the outside louvre vent.
This is held in place by a small philips screw. These rust up badly so soak in in WD40. and then try to remove it. it may come out easily it may not, your arm and hands may need to amputated set on gimbles and re attached to get the screwdriver angle so you can remove it
Dont drop the screw
Lift off the chimney cowl and then hanging down inside the flue is a piece of wire with a twisted Baffle (piece of aluminium) hooked on the end. LOOK carefully how it hangs in the chimney before removing it. This piece of aluminium ensures the hot rising waste fumes twist as they flow upwards helping the wast fumes to escape more easily.
Now you can clean the flue. A bottle brush is great or an old toothbrush fastened onto a long cable tie
you can twist it as you insert it into the flue and ensure you brush all the walls inside the flu.
Re-ang the wire and aluminium baffle. Before fitting the Cowl I hacksawed the hole (that the screw went through) into a slot. This meant I could half screw the screw in then slide the cowl into place and then tighten the screw. IT WAS WAY EASIER than juggling screw and cowl at the same time.
Finally hoover the crap up at the bottom of the flu Ensuring you hoover the jet burner unit as well.
Relight the fridge
re fit the vents
and pray
I am not in anyway trying to teach grandma to suck eggs but when I have done jobs i always wish someone gave me an idiots guide rather than assuming I know what things are and what they do.

I hope this helps
Kev

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Kev, I was just beginning to think that it's most likely a dirty flue that's causing the problem. I'd pulled out the burner (albeit still connect to gas supply pipe), inspected it and cleaned it. Then lit it (forward of the flue). Nice, strong blue flame. But when I reassembled it and lit it, the flame was far less strong. Unfortunately - and I'm kicking myself for this, I managed to snap off the head of the small grub screw that holds the burner in place beneath the flue housing. I don't think the burner can become dislodged because the threaded part is still in situ but I'm not sure I want to take the risk. So I'm now searching the Internet for a Dometic 7855L burner. I might try drilling it out first but there's nothing to get purchase on to twist it out. What a bugger.

But THANKS VERY MUCH for your idiots guide. This will be incredibly useful when I do the flue. Next job. And will give me a laugh when I read it again!

Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Oldgustaf

When I went to clean the jet on my fridge, my screw also broke the same as yours. I drilled my broken screw out, tapped a new thread and used a better screw. It’s not too difficult a job (y)

Cheers

Trevor

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back