Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi all,
Could anyone give me advice on what to look for on my Dometic fridge.
It runs fine on gas but it doesn’t seem to work on mains or 12v battery when the engine is running.
I have checked the fuse at the consumer unit also in the plug and they are fine. With my meter In hand I’m not getting 240v at the back of the fridge through the air vents.
It’s not a problem if I need to get it looked at but at the moment we are away in Scotland.
The fridge is this model.
Thanks all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 37

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I'd try checking the circuit breaker & some fridges 240v supply is through a plug somewhere, there'll be a fuse in there.
Get back to us & let us know how it goes please?

OP
OP
keithpaw

keithpaw

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi thanks for your reply,
I have checked the fuse in the plug top that feeds the fridge and it’s fine. All the breakers are on there are none that have tripped.
So I’m a little confused.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Scratching my head a bit now.
You say there is no 240v feed as tested through the vent, is this at the supply or feed to the element?

OP
OP
keithpaw

keithpaw

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
I’m not sure which feed it is it comes up through the floor of the van in the vent area.
I suppose I will have to get the fridge out to see for sure.👍

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Yes it seems that'll be necessary now, one thing I have thought of is that if the fridge is running on gas you must have a 12v feed for the ignitor, that would be a separate supply from 12v when running.

OP
OP
keithpaw

keithpaw

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
It seems odd to me that 240v and the 12v when the engine is running both seem to be at fault could be a board issue 🤦‍♂️ Thanks for taking the time to reply I will let you know when I find the fault but I’m away for a couple of weeks yet.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
You say you have checked the fuse in the plug top and its OK, have you checked there is 240V at the socket the plugtop plugs into?
Sorry if you have, but if you have no 240V at the socket then the problem must be back at the mains dist board, check you have 240V coming out the top terminal of the breaker in the fuse board.
You are on hook up? so do you have 240V supply to other 240V sockets in van? The RCD hasnt tripped etc.
I know you are away in Scotland and its dark out there now, so good luck, maybe let it run on Gas and carry on tracing the mains feed tomorrow.
Good luck.
LES

OP
OP
keithpaw

keithpaw

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi Tinal
Yes there is 240v at the socket as I swapped it with the microwave and it’s fine.
All other 240v appliances are fine.
I will have to get the fridge out tomorrow and check 240v at the distribution board.
Is there also a fuse there? If so hopefully it’s that.
Still not sure why the fridge doesn’t seem to be operating on 12v dc when engine is running.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Great so you swapped the Fridge for the microwave and the socket works, so that rules out a problem with the 240V to the socket.
Your fridge is supplied its 12v feed via the D+ wire, which is live only when the engine is running.
On the back of the fridge maybe you can trace the 12 v input, it might be marked,or in the Dometic handbook, or find it online maybe, so you can check that also tomorrow.
Can you also check there is a 240V feed to the heating elements inside the back of the fridge at the rear, when switched to mains operation.
I am just hoping its something simple, and not the control board.
I will wait and see how you get on tomorrow.
Good luck

OP
OP
keithpaw

keithpaw

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Ok thanks Les will see tomorrow we are on the move in the morning so will look tomorrow tea time provided I can get the fridge out easily enough.

OP
OP
keithpaw

keithpaw

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Oh I won’t be on hookup for a few days so I will let you know later in the week 👍

OP
OP
keithpaw

keithpaw

Free Member
Jun 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi guy’s sorry for not getting back about my Dometic fridge fault on mains.
It now seems to be working fine on mains so I can’t really report anything.
I moved the main rotary switch several times so maybe a bad or dirty connection.
👍👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back