Dog wanted (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Have had several over the past, Whippet, 2 Rough Collies and 2 Border Collies. But like to adopt something like a Cairn, Westie Jack Russel.
Checking the web, masses of adverts for Free Dogs, and then the next line says Puppies for Sale, talk about fish bait. Wish that the Advertising Agency would get to grip with this false advertising. Ok Gripe over. Anybody still reading, so looking for a small a dog, moho friendly. Any real suggestions, other than give a dogs home several hundred pounds for something they got for free.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Have had several over the past, Whippet, 2 Rough Collies and 2 Border Collies. But like to adopt something like a Cairn, Westie Jack Russel.
Checking the web, masses of adverts for Free Dogs, and then the next line says Puppies for Sale, talk about fish bait. Wish that the Advertising Agency would get to grip with this false advertising. Ok Gripe over. Anybody still reading, so looking for a small a dog, moho friendly. Any real suggestions, other than give a dogs home several hundred pounds for something they got for free.
The two dogs we have had both came from Dog Homes, I'm afraid they have to charge a fee because they don't run on fresh air.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I thought the going rate was around £70 including injections. I'm probably behind the times. Just think how good a 2nd chance you can give an abandoned dog. I will donate £20 to one for you...if it comes from a dog rescue home.
Sandra, we paid £200 for our Holly. Worth every penny. (y)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Apparently, apart from their running cost, rehoming centres have found that a 'donations of £100-£150 sorts the wheat from the chaff, the serious from the tyre kickers... plus they say if you can't afford that, you can't afford the dog...

This is correct, also the dog will go to the vets to have a check up, any injections needed and be neutered, It all costs money. One a friend of mine helps at ask for a donation of £150 or more.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Free to good home loves children cant eat a whole one;)

savage-dog.jpg

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
This is going to sound daft but have you looked on pre loved and gumtree.
When we were looking there were a few on there.

Also pick a breed you would like then look at specific rescue centres as they seem to have more idea temperament wise as they deal with one type of breed, not lots.

Just a thought

Ohh and look in trees for ballon dogs as that seems to work on the ad on tv :D

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We couldn’t get a dog from rescue as we both work full time, I am off school holidays. We take our dog a walk morning and evening ... he also goes out for about an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon (sometimes much longer) with a friend who keeps her horses with us. But they weren’t interested in the big picture.
Gumtree is interesting ... I spoke to some genuine people and some people who didn’t care. Lots of dogs with behaviour issues, one sad case where the owner of s puppy had died - pulled on my heartstrings but a puppy wouldn’t have been the best fit.
When Yogi was advertised there were lots of people who enquired. He’s an energetic labradoodle who needs wide open spaces ... he had simply found himself in the wrong home twice in his short 2 1/2 years. We’ve now had him for 3 years and wouldn’t be without him, however muddy and ‘deaf’ he is when he doesn’t want to hear.
Don’t rule out gumtree. The advice is never to advertise s dog too cheap or for free as it might go to a reseller. I was happy to pay ... the family needed the money more than I did and, in the long run, we won a watch as they say.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I thought the going rate was around £70 including injections. I'm probably behind the times. Just think how good a 2nd chance you can give an abandoned dog. I will donate £20 to one for you...if it comes from a dog rescue home.

Thats a nice gesture sandra and ill do the same if it helps rehome a dog from a rescue cntr....
i seem to remember andrea @big map looking for homes for small dogs from a rescue cntr... maybe she could advise or help..
Andy..

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The Dogs Trust always have a dog for someone worth a call.

We did not have a great experience with them. They charged us for a dog that had serious mental health issues.

After three days Sandra did not want to be alone with it.

I consider their KPI's are to driven by "rehoming" and not "safe and happy" dogs.

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Got our dog 13 years ago from RSPCA ,best thing I ever did after marriage and two kids(y)(y).
They asked for £60 to cover vet and food bills while in rescue centre , I gave them £120 and asked them to put extra towards food etc for future arrivals.
She's lying at my feet sleeping after her evening walk.
The downside , she will now have the occasional fart as she had roast chicken and veg for dinner:(:(.
John

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Got our dog 13 years ago from RSPCA ,best thing I ever did after marriage and two kids(y)(y).
They asked for £60 to cover vet and food bills while in rescue centre , I gave them £120 and asked them to put extra towards food etc for future arrivals.
She's lying at my feet sleeping after her evening walk.
The downside , she will now have the occasional fart as she had roast chicken and veg for dinner:(:(.
John

I used to know when our labrador passed wind - he used to get up and leave us with his donation to the ambiance of the lounge. :sick:

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I used to know when our labrador passed wind - he used to get up and leave us with his donation to the ambiance of the lounge. :sick:

We had a Springer that did exactly the same. We had three Spaniels at the time so we knew if he was the one that had farted.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
They knew what they were talking about - will your Seller tell you the full facts ?
I agree to a certain extent... but with love & time, dogs only want to be part of the pack & please it's leader...

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
This is Coco, she is a working Cocker Spaniel who was used for breeding Cockerpoos until she was 5 years old. We paid £400 for us as the breeder maintained that if he charged that much he knew the dog was going toma good home. Salesmanship in my view but she was worth it. Now enjoys a very quiet life, loves the motorhome and I think she is grateful for her much changed lifestyle. Been with us for 3 years and after initially having to housetrain her she has not been an ounce of trouble.

Don’t overlook ex-breeding dogs.
C77793E7-72EB-491B-A52E-7E56C3C96A56.jpeg

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
This is Coco, she is a working Cocker Spaniel who was used for breeding Cockerpoos until she was 5 years old. We paid £400 for us as the breeder maintained that if he charged that much he knew the dog was going toma good home. Salesmanship in my view but she was worth it. Now enjoys a very quiet life, loves the motorhome and I think she is grateful for her much changed lifestyle. Been with us for 3 years and after initially having to housetrain her she has not been an ounce of trouble.

Don’t overlook ex-breeding dogs.View attachment 266651
Blimey she has earned some money for the breeder

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I would beware of a rehoming centre in Llanelli, South Wales called Many Tears.

They take in a lot of ex-breeding bitches from Ireland who otherwise would be shot (or worse).

Many of them have serious long-term health issues which you would have to fund treatment for.

I reluctantly returned a cocker spaniel (with no refund) who had an antibiotic-resistant ear infection (pseudomona) which would eventually have infected her brain. I spent £400 on tests and medication before my vet advised me not to spend any more money on her.

She was advertised for rehoming again within days with no mention of her health issues.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back