Dog wanted (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
This is Coco, she is a working Cocker Spaniel who was used for breeding Cockerpoos until she was 5 years old. We paid £400 for us as the breeder maintained that if he charged that much he knew the dog was going toma good home. Salesmanship in my view but she was worth it. Now enjoys a very quiet life, loves the motorhome and I think she is grateful for her much changed lifestyle. Been with us for 3 years and after initially having to housetrain her she has not been an ounce of trouble.

Don’t overlook ex-breeding dogs.View attachment 266651
What a beautiful looking dog , she should be a model .

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
We looked for ages before we got Laika the wonderdog, we were unable to find a rescue dog. We got her from Dorset from a family advertising a litter of Jack Russell X poodle .
Loved doesn't come near , she is an absolute incredible dog who gives such loyalty and love . Four years on she is a second skin who loves the Motorhome like we do.
Whatever you get will be perfect

Everyone thinks they have the best dog and their not wrong.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I would beware of a rehoming centre in Llanelli, South Wales called Many Tears.

They take in a lot of ex-breeding bitches from Ireland who otherwise would be shot (or worse).

Many of them have serious long-term health issues which you would have to fund treatment for.

I reluctantly returned a cocker spaniel (with no refund) who had an antibiotic-resistant ear infection (pseudomona) which would eventually have infected her brain. I spent £400 on tests and medication before my vet advised me not to spend any more money on her.

She was advertised for rehoming again within days with no mention of her health issues.
Under those circumstances I wouldn't have returned her. Euthanasia would be the kindest option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
Many thanks for the many replies.
I was more keen to have a dog with a known history, rather than the dogs home, hence the thread on here. As in someone who could no longer look after their own.
However seem to have created a platform for other members to talk about their own dogs, which is great.
Ian

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
After our first dog finally passed away, we thought next time rather than get another puppy we should get a rescue dog.

So off we went visiting all the local dog rescue centres but when we said we still had our youngest child at home who was twelve at the time they said unfortunately they had nothing available.

On visiting the last place they finally had a dog suitable for a home with a child. They brought it out and it only had three legs!!!!! They wanted £125. At the time we could get a brand new one with four legs for £200

So we bought another German Shepherd puppy

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
On visiting the last place they finally had a dog suitable for a home with a child. They brought it out and it only had three legs!!!!! They wanted £125. At the time we could get a brand new one with four legs for £200

We bred our current dog ourselves. When he was born, he had four legs. As a result of a road accident seven years ago, he now has three. He's almost thirteen years old, and still going strong. His three-legged status hasn't hampered him (or us) at all, and certainly has had no bearing on his suitability or otherwise as a family dog.
I'd gladly have another tri-pod. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They brought it out and it only had three legs!!!!! They wanted £125. At the time we could get a brand new one with four legs for £200
Misses the point rather. Taking a rescue dog means someone is there for it. I assume a large vets bill would elicit the same response?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Many thanks for the many replies.
I was more keen to have a dog with a known history, rather than the dogs home, hence the thread on here. As in someone who could no longer look after their own.
However seem to have created a platform for other members to talk about their own dogs, which is great.
Ian
Local rescue agencies often have the names of people forced to give up their dogs and will put you in touch or may have in their care dogs with a known past where owners have been forced to give them up. Our three came directly from families who had to give them up. Ages when they came to us were 2, 4, and 9. We were put in touch with two of the families by the local rescue agency and the third came from a friend of our daughter who was emigrating.

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Misses the point rather. Taking a rescue dog means someone is there for it. I assume a large vets bill would elicit the same response?
I do know some that if their dogs get a big vet bill quote when they are older, they have them put down and get a new one. They are used for shooting etc and said if it’s a lot more then a new puppy it has to go.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We bred our current dog ourselves. When he was born, he had four legs. As a result of a road accident seven years ago, he now has three. He's almost thirteen years old, and still going strong. His three-legged status hasn't hampered him (or us) at all, and certainly has had no bearing on his suitability or otherwise as a family dog.
I'd gladly have another tri-pod. :)
My tripods have been cats - both as a result of farm mowing accidents. Both lost front legs and both were completely unfazed by the missing limb. Took each of them a whole day to become accustomed to three legs:).

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I do know some that if their dogs get a big vet bill quote when they are older, they have them put down and get a new one. They are used for shooting etc and said if it’s a lot more then a new puppy it has to go.
That approach to animal welfare really sticks in my throat. A working dog that has given its best years simply cast aside because it's going to cost a few bob to fix or keep. Dogs aren't simply a tool, or even worse, a lifestyle accessory. I wonder how some would have dealt with my youngest rescue: he was bitten three weeks ago today. Nothing life-threatening but a large piece of skin torn on his flank. Basically a simple stitching job + antibiotics. The cost for emergency treatment on a Sunday? £505. Could have got at least three more rescues for that - or a brand new dog.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It’s just the reality of what goes on not saying it’s right but that’s how it is for some. I guess it no different to greyhounds that are got rid of after racing or race horses that are no good.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It’s just the reality of what goes on not saying it’s right but that’s how it is for some. I guess it no different to greyhounds that are got rid of after racing or race horses that are no good.
You're right. Greyhound racing is something I'd be pleased to see die out. I've had a couple of ex-racers. One was found abandoned, full of worms, and starving, at Heysham. A 40kg dog down to 20kg when found. The second had been well-treated other than he was handed to a rescue agency at two years old because of a tendon injury. He had been well looked-after and well treated though and had obviously lived in his owners house rather than a kennel. He's the dog I use as my avatar - lost at 8 years old with lymphoma. There's a Greyhound breeding industry in Ireland struggling to make money because many tracks have closed. The Irish Government had to block an attempt by these breeders to set up racing in, and to supply dogs to, China after an uproar by welfare groups.

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
We got our 'Effie the effin' dog' eleven years ago from the village in Spain where we have a home, Cervera del Maestre. At the time she was eight weeks old and from a lovely family home. She is a great dog, travels back and forth no problem at all. In fact, we are just loading up the camper for a little trip down to Denia tomorrow and as can be seen in the photo' Effie the effin' dog is our SatNav.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_632.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_632.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 58

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The vets costs, insurance premiums etc I don’t think we will ever have another dog.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I thought the going rate was around £70 including injections. I'm probably behind the times. Just think how good a 2nd chance you can give an abandoned dog. I will donate £20 to one for you...if it comes from a dog rescue home.

Thats a nice gesture sandra and ill do the same if it helps rehome a dog from a rescue cntr....
i seem to remember andrea @big map looking for homes for small dogs from a rescue cntr... maybe she could advise or help..
Andy..

Ours was £90 (7 years ago) from Dogs Trust but it's now up to £130.
For that you get -
  • Neutered
  • Microchipped
  • Vaccinated
  • Vet Checked
  • 4 weeks insurance
Don't know how much all that costs if you're paying a vet directly but would guess no less than that!

Count us in on the £20 donation offer.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@RanC you now have folk willing to donate £60 in total for a rescue dog.

Please go choose a rescue dog, I’m sure you will get one to suit if you just keep looking.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
I would beware of a rehoming centre in Llanelli, South Wales called Many Tears.

They take in a lot of ex-breeding bitches from Ireland who otherwise would be shot (or worse).

Many of them have serious long-term health issues which you would have to fund treatment for.

I reluctantly returned a cocker spaniel (with no refund) who had an antibiotic-resistant ear infection (pseudomona) which would eventually have infected her brain. I spent £400 on tests and medication before my vet advised me not to spend any more money on her.

She was advertised for rehoming again within days with no mention of her health issues.

I would also avoid Many Tears due to the experience of a friend, a family inexperienced in dog ownership with the youngest, a 9 year old boy, very wary of dogs. They were looking for a small dog and were given a puppy who grew to look like a close relative of Scooby Doo, on steroids, and very aggressive. They took him back and he went straight back on their website with no mention of his dominance and aggression issues.

I recommend Dogs Trust. Reg is my second Dogs Trust rescue dog. They go out of their way to make sure the whole family is compatible and that the dog is healthy; if there are any longterm health issues then you can own the dog under a shared adoption scheme whereby they will stand the cost of any issues relating to the pre-existing condition.

Well worth the adoption fee in my view.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Also meant to say - my daughter bought a Staffie from Facebook. She was told she was 3 and had never had pups. It was obvious as soon as I saw her that she had not long reared some pups, and when we got the chip paperwork sorted we found she was at least 7, if not older. Lovely natured dog, though.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I realise you might never consider obtaining a Rescue Dog from Spain, but I note you your interest in a Border Collie and a Jack Russell and suggest to Google: Broken Link Removed which will show you a Dog commonly know in Analucia as a Bodequero they are quite amazing dogs and seriously intelligent hence my observation of the Border Collie/Jack Russell they are longer legged and slimmer than. JK loving,loyal,highly entertaining.

Google: Adana, a dog rescue centre near Estepona Spain, you will find one Adana are will ensure the Dog is in perfect health, arrange Pet Passport etc etc, you have to pay around €200 euro and be accepted ,they don’t simply hand dogs over,they care.

Too much trouble? Not if you want a Companion,Beat Mate,and Fun day every day they are outstanding. Find Adana on YouTube.

Here’s my buddy,Pepe at 4 months old found abandoned never again.
EDD7970A-0055-401E-89F9-8F5C483A3556.jpeg

Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My last five dogs have all been given to me free as unwanted dogs. I currently have three, a Rottweiler x collie who is gentle yet provides great security when parking in ‘iffy’ places, a previously beaten border collie who clings to me, and a two year old Jack Russell with the courage of a lion. The sticker on my habitation door window shows an Alsatian and says “You might get in but you won’t get out.”
MY advice is do get a dog, any breed/crossbreed, but let the dog choose you. Whatever it costs will be repaid a thousand times over in love, loyalty and protection.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
@RanC you now have folk willing to donate £60 in total for a rescue dog.

Please go choose a rescue dog, I’m sure you will get one to suit if you just keep looking.
I know we have recently become the parents of a puppy, but we would also donate £20 to see a rescue given a home.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Having had six labs over our married life 44 years (you gey less for murder) ( usually an older one and a younger one) one from a puppy, three adopted, one rescue and one found, We then went to many rescue centres about two years ago looking for another pooch.
Almost all wanted at least a 5 foot fence round our property. A major issue when you have dry stone walling.
We were not new dog owners and undestood the process of settling a dog in

In the end we got snoopy our whippet from a Rescue centre that only insisted on contacting our vets to see that we were good owners. In the last 18 months he has performed his magic of putting smiles on peoples faces in Wales,
France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Germany, Austria and italy
He loves kids, other dogs. enjoys firework displays and likes standing at the start line of motor racing events
Oh did I tell you he loves snow and ice
IMG_9056.JPG
IMG_2017.JPG
IMG_3396.JPG
IMG_3316.JPG
IMG_9056.JPG
IMG_9056.JPG

This was our lab making him welcome the first day we got him

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Having had six labs over our married life 44 years (you gey less for murder) ( usually an older one and a younger one) one from a puppy, three adopted, one rescue and one found, We then went to many rescue centres about two years ago looking for another pooch.
Almost all wanted at least a 5 foot fence round our property. A major issue when you have dry stone walling.
We were not new dog owners and undestood the process of settling a dog in

In the end we got snoopy our whippet from a Rescue centre that only insisted on contacting our vets to see that we were good owners. In the last 18 months he has performed his magic of putting smiles on peoples faces in Wales,
France, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Germany, Austria and italy
He loves kids, other dogs. enjoys firework displays and likes standing at the start line of motor racing events
Oh did I tell you he loves snow and iceView attachment 267087 View attachment 267088 View attachment 267089 View attachment 267090 View attachment 267087 View attachment 267087
This was our lab making him welcome the first day we got him
He is stunning.
I get what your saying about rescue centres, I have had dogs from them in the past (this was all years before I met Robert) & rescues from people who have rescued them & searched for a home, one was a Springer and he came to me looking like a hat rack, terrified and covered in fag burns. I've also had a Greyhound/Lurcher who was a big lanky saint......a few more including JR's, another Springer.....But these days you do need to have a garden like Fort Knox. I don't object to the money they want for them because they need to be fed, vet fee's & staff need to be paid ect....the costs are high for them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Some of the greyhounds that come to the rescue charity I do the web site for come from Ireland, the original owners pay to have the dogs health-checked by a vet, treated for worms, fleas etc and neutered/spayed, this ensures that the charity gets dogs it can home who won't be used for breeding by any new owners and puts off any unscrupulous original owners who are trying to pass off seriously ill dogs for others to have to foot the bill for or worse, although they will take some with health issues if they are confident that a new owner could deal with a dog with such problems. It may not be ideal but after all it is a charity and the funds aren't limitless so they have to be 'sensible' with the ones they take. They are doing a great job at rehoming them and have had a very good year for it, long may it continue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back