Dog owners, I need help please! (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I did read the thread not long ago about how you travel your dog. This is our first dog so quite in experienced and not sure about travelling options.

Bella is meant to be a Labrador but I’m convinced she is actually a cross between a crocodile and a goat!

We have two main questions to solve. Your suggestions how to travel the dog and overnight sleeping arrangements!

There is space under the dinette table where I put a small crate or I could build a plywood box to giver her more space but harness her to the travel seat belts.

There is also a small space between the driver / passenger seats I could use.

We also took her out in the car and she was terribly sick and made such a mess!

So, I'm interested in your suggestions on travelling arrangements and sleeping arrangements with an 11 week old puppy that eats everything!

6FB57501-1380-42F0-BA60-3BA2FD910FCF.jpeg
94D17612-5DB7-49F7-AC64-395198D31D42.jpeg
F6F8BD2C-8BF9-4299-96A0-227443C0752C.jpeg
7011C30F-6BBC-4B50-8375-0BCB9F9F537B.jpeg
1FFA0157-699D-49BF-9379-9290D069CF45.jpeg

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We used a cage for a while but have now changed for travelling to a harness attached to an anchor point I fitted. Dog sleeps under our bed at night but this will fairly unique to the layout of our van.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've always used a dog harness and fit that into a seat belt anchorage. Our mutt (rescue and think he may have been mistreated?) hates cages with a passion.
Having said that, if your new best friend is susceptible to travel sickness would suggest cage with a solid board under or in it. Easier to clean up any mess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Sounds like the wee pup needs to be properly introduced to the vehicles!
I'd start with taking the wee pup out into the car but, not going anywhere, this way he learns that getting into the car/moho isn't always a bad experience.
Then a wee while with the engine running followed by very short drives, round the block kinda drives & work your way up.

Good luck...Robert

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Casper travels in a harness connected to a seatbelt, BUT we needed to shorten it, as his nose could reach the gear lever and unknown to him he could knock it out of gear. We have opened up a small door between the habitation area and the garage so he can sleep in the garage at bedtime if he wants to. We also have a gate on the garage door so it can be left open if it’s hot when we park up.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Like other, we started with a large cage, but soon changed to a harness and anchor point
The chewing is just a puppy thing, I am afraid you will have to put up with it for a few months ( Could utilise a soft muzzle if it is a real problem, but try lots of toys, both hard and soft.. )
Think of her as a two year old toddler.. and that soon explains all the mischief she will get up to
Lots of attention reduces damage too :)
Sleeping.
Woman has spent a small fortune on all sorts of beds for Dillon.
About the only time he uses them is if he has been naughty and gets sent there to 'cool off' for ten minutes.
He just prefers laying on the floor ( or if we are not around jumping up on the bloody seats.. so we now have a 'throw' that he gets on on one of the seats

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
If he's sick , first thing first is don't give him a full meal before departure, but give him a little bit at a time, same with water.
A branch of Parsil on the tummy can help... never tried on my (late) dog but heard of this being good. Best is to put his harness on so you can try to hook the parsil on his tummy. Of course if it only goes round his neck .... won't be possible. Only with this one

DOGGY.png

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Welcome to labradors, they are notorious bottomless buckets for anything that isn’t screwed down, but will attempt to eat those too given the opportunity. Whilst little I would crate her during travel and maybe at night until you can trust her. Ours tuck under the seat that collapse to make a second seat belt or long bench seat. They love it under there their den. They get crated during the journey. That then gets collapsed and shoved in the garage or under the mh. If you buy a small crate you’ll be wasting your money because you’ll be needing a bigger one for when she is older.

I’d get lots of indestructible chew toys too. I get teddies form charity shops, but if you do be watchful of the eyes, I but now with stitched eyes now.

Enjoy, once out walking etc, she get tired and will sleep lots

pawwavingpuppy

Free Member
Jul 6, 2010
Here in lovely South Devon
Funster No
Our pup, Mack, is a westie/scotty cross, he's 5 months old now, but was really car sick, even on the shortest journeys. So I googled it as you do, and loads of people recommended Cerenia, from the vets. As we were visiting family 250 miles away, we got some and he wasn't sick once.

We've now done several hour long journeys since, not given him any meds and, touch wood he's been fine, so I'm thinking (hopefully) he's grown out of it.
Mack is a complete dustbin, never had a dog like him he eats anything, chip board, stones, feathers, (n):eek: always taking stuff off him when we're out walking...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back