Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
I’ve got specific dates for our hols and do you think I can get a dog friendly cabin to and from Spain, like hell not.

Any tips or advice in getting one.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
There is dog cabins available with Brittany Ferries to Spain
But you’d need to do a day crossing to Ireland and sail from Rosslare to Bilbao on the economy boat
We’re looking at possibly doing the short day crossing from Fishguard to Rosslare, having a night in Wexford and catching the boat the following morning
Crossing time is 27 & 3/4 hours

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
It’s annoying those that book a dog cabin without a dog should be removed, does my head in.

I’m stuck to set dates and trying to find one is hard.

May 7, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Having the same problem. Perhaps we should start petition BF requesting an increase in the number of pet friendly cabins and to allow pets to remain in vehicles on the other ferries as they can on the Pont Aven (when it is in service!)

May 7, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I have just emailed the following to BF if anyone would like to copy this please feel free.

new.bookings@brittanyferries.com

Dear Sirs,

I am own a motorhome and would like to book a ferry to Spain. However, there is a problem. I have a pet and there are no pet friendly cabins available for the foreseeable future.

When the Pont Aven is in service my pet can remain in the vehicle but this does not operate in the winter, and with the 90 day rule now in force, it is no longer possible to use this route from Plymouth as the last outward sailing at the end of October and the return at the end of March is over 90 days.

The only choice is to make one of the journeys from/to Portsmouth which would require a pet friendly cabin. There are very few of these cabins available and they are booked up very quickly.

I therefore urge you to:

PLEASE INCREASE THE NUMBER OF PET FRIENDLY CABINS.
or
ALLOW PETS TO REMAIN IN THE VEHICLE ON THE GALACIA AND SALAMANCA.
or
EXTEND THE PONT AVEN SCHEDULES TO ALLOW OUTBOUND AND INBOUND SAILINGS TO FIT IN A 90 DAY PERIOD.,

May 7, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
l am almost certain that Pets were not allowed to stay in the Vehicle on the Santander Route and Pont Aven didn’t dock in Bilbao.
WRONG!! We have been using Plymouth - Santander for a number of years and our cat has always remained in the vehicle and we are allowed to visit, accompanied by a crew member.

15isto2

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 27, 2018
Funster No
Don’t think they allow it on the longer crossing from Portsmouth to Santander
Dear Mr Hendry

Thank you for your email.

The kennels are only for dogs to use. Cats can stay in the vehicle on the Pont Aven as the garage is ventilated and temperature controlled. On the Cap Finistere and the Galicia, cats can only travel if a pet friendly cabin is booked as the garage cannot be temperature controlled. Please click on this link for further information about travelling with your pet https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/pet-travel/onboard-kennels-and-pet-friendly-cabins

Kind regards

Louise

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
WRONG!! We have been using Plymouth - Santander for a number of years and our cat has always remained in the vehicle and we are allowed to visit, accompanied by a crew member.
You do not have to shout, Since you quoted Pet and they are classed as Dog Friendly Cabins l thought this is what you referred.

May 7, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Dear Mr Hendry

Thank you for your email.

The kennels are only for dogs to use. Cats can stay in the vehicle on the Pont Aven as the garage is ventilated and temperature controlled. On the Cap Finistere and the Galicia, cats can only travel if a pet friendly cabin is booked as the garage cannot be temperature controlled. Please click on this link for further information about travelling with your pet https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/pet-travel/onboard-kennels-and-pet-friendly-cabins

Kind regards

Louise
Thank you for that information. Let's hope the PA is never taken permanently out of service.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We was in Denia yesterday, and the ferry was going out but being close all you could hear was engine roaring, but as they got out all you could hear was dogs barking. 🤔 Bob.

IMG_20220112_164859704.jpg
20220112_165043.jpg

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
We travelled down to bilbao last October, all the pet cabins were full, we were lucky to get a cancellation, yet the boat was no where near half full. Hardly any passengers in the lounges. Do BF not realise if they increase the pet cabins more people would travel on their boats and increase their income.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
There's always the tunnel, where you all stay in the motorhome. Of course, that then means a long drive through France. It's an option though, if you can't get a dog cabin. We quite like the drive through France and make it part of the holiday.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I had a similar problem today for a booking late March early April, and no pet accommodation wherever I looked.
I did what I did last time and rang the 0330 number, and Lisa did a trawl through the system for me. Bingo! Sunday 10th April Portsmouth/Bilbao, two small kennels and a 4 berth outside cabin. Thanks Derek (Emmit) for saving me £33!
Edit: there's pet accommodation available from Plymouth...

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The issue for the ferry operator is they need to have enough pet cabins that means they are full on every trip.

It's easy to convert a non-pet cabin into a pet cabin,
the problem is then converting a pet cabin back to a non-pet cabin.
The cabin would need to be deep cleaned and most soft furnishings replaced, all of which comes at a considerable cost.

So from the operators point of view the number of pet cabins needs to be the minimum viable.

The other option is to have a pet storage area where animals can be kept in lockers/cages, but most ships don't have a suitable area, as it would not be a normal consideration for a ship design, unless the ship was designed for a specific route such as UK/Spain.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
I mentioned in Post #21 that Lisa at BF had been very helpful , as she found us a booking on the 10th April with kennel. Imagine my surprise when she rang me yesterday to say that she had found a Pet Friendly cabin for the 15th! We declined, as we are happy with the original booking, but that is what I call service...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back