Dog behaviour around new baby? (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Our 8 year old female Border Terrorist (Izzy) met her first baby yesterday (7weeks old) and it sent her into a right tizzy.

I don't know if her behaviour was good or bad.

We are staying at the MiL's for a few days, where Izzy knows well and is relaxed in the house. A friend of MiL's visited to show off her new grandson. When she put the baby on the floor in the car seat/carrycot thingy, we let Izzy have a little sniff and was allowed to meet the new human. She was on the lead just in case and I was right by her soothing her. She had a good sniff and then started whining and nibbling his toes, like they do to catch a flea. She licked his hand and sniffed his ear, but was getting more and more excited, so we parted them.

When Colin held the baby she got even more excited, crying and pulling to get to it. We let her close, still on the lead and once again she started nibbling his toes(through the baby grow). At no time did the baby react to the nibbling as she was really nibbling the seam of his babygrow, but we didn't let it continue.

When baby was eventually put back on the floor in the carry cot, she was allowed to sniff again and then she lay down right up tight to the cot and appeared relaxed, with her head on her front paws.

Then it was time to go and as MiL's friend picked up the cot and walked towards the front door, the dog started crying and whining really loud. She seemed to quite distressed.

Has anyone come across this behaviour in their dog around new babies? I would like to know if she could possibly be a danger to them or if it is normal.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
And therein lies the problem, You can never ever tell
My dog it appears acts the same as yours around newborns and small babies it appears he loves em to bits cant stand baby crying goes nuts and appears very concerned or even seems to panic, the minuet they can stand is another question he hates anything under 4 ft
Notice I use the word appears a lot, that's because we are mostly attributing a dogs behavior with that of a humans behavieor
They are not the same they do not mean the same things
You can never tell
The fact your asking, demonstrates your concerns, and is as much as you can do, be aware of the dangers and you and your dog will do fine

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Our Welsh Terrier also got excited around grandson. Nothing serious, probably wouldn't bite but as he is still a young dog we felt we couldn't let him near the baby. Aiden is now 2 and Jonesy the dog is nearly 3. We always knew that Jonesy became very passive when he had a coat or similar item on him so we started putting his xmas jumper on him when Aiden came to the house. Problem solved...the excitement in Jonesy goes away and they actually sit and cuddle each other. We have progressed to the point where the effect is the same if we put a thick harness on him. It might be worth a try or even get one of those compression jackets that some dogs wear to reduce anxiety during firework times.
35151232_10156503248077490_8113846014223319040_o.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
When Sophie was born we already had a little Jack Russel cross and although he was very gentle we had our concerns, they didn't last long as one night we heard crying through the baby monitor. Being new parents we rush up stairs only to find Titch had somehow managed to get his ball in to Sophie's carry cot where she was sleeping, he was sitting crying because she didn't throw it back :).

We kept an eye on him but from that day on he became her personal body guard :). When you look back at her baby photos he's always in them no matter what's she's doing.
This is Soph helping me paint something and you can see Titch in the background, he was very rarely further from her.
image.png

As geo says though you never know.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Example of savage Devil Dog !!!!!!!
(Sound recommended)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
I had 2 borders when my children were born but to far back to remember their initial reaction but I know we would have been very careful at the beginning. We do have many photos of them cuddled up together later. I used a large playpen for them as babies for safety.
We have a 8 week grandson who has met our border and lab a few times now. The dogs initial reaction was curiosity, sniffing face, licking bare feet, very curious at nappy changing. The little border is jealous if I talk to the lab and pushes in and did try the same when I was holding the baby but being firm with her but not completely excluding her worked, now after initial excitement they go back to sleeping or Tele watching.
Joe's reaction to Minnie's barking at dog on television.
20180801_183419.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Like everyone says you can't be too careful. Had a mongrel terrier when my first son was born, it lived with my mum as landlord wouldn't allow it in our flat. he was very interested in the baby but, like some other dogs did not like to hear him cry, He was protective and would sleep next to my son's pram problem started when baby began to cry, when we went to pick him up the dog seemed to think we were responsible for the baby's distress and became very agressive. After he had bitten my mother my sister and myself and speaking to our vet we very reluctantly had him put to sleep. we were advised not to try to rehome him because of the problem.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Has anyone come across this behaviour in their dog around new babies? I would like to know if she could possibly be a danger to them or if it is normal.

Yes, yes and yes perfectly normal.

It's a protection instinct - she was looking after the smallest member of the pack - and it's very common, especially from bitches.

You still should never leave any dog unsupervised with young children though however much you trust it. Toddlers especially will pull and poke and prod and the dog might be fine with this right up until it decides it's had enough then it won't be.

Even if they aren't meaning any harm the rough and tumble way dogs play will be often be far too much for young children. Playful boisterousness will still hurt a child. That's without even thinking about the sort of play fighting that dogs, especially puppies, like.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Max and Phoebe are absolute angels around all children. Very calm and relaxed. Our 2 year old grandchild adores them, but the puppies, puppies are unaware that children don’t play rough and tumble like they do. And children are unaware that puppies are much rougher when playing. Hania has learned to get out of the way....and fast. Not to disturb the puppies when they are asleep or eating. They have reached an accord. At last.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
nice to see so many responsible owners, was a paediatric nurse and of all the children I nursed, who had been bitten by a dog, only a handful had been bitten by dogs which were not known to them.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our two dogs are fine with our two grandchildren but we would never leave them alone together. They have their favourites, Poppy (nearly two) loves Spice (age 3) whereas Rudy who is 3years and a rufty tufty type likes the larger Meg (age 7). Actually though the dogs can be trusted unsupervised, the grandchildren require constant supervision.:)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Some part of a baby's cry ( because there are various cried depending on hunger, tiredness etc) sounds very close to a newborn wolf. And as dogs and wolves are related a baby's cry seems to tap into the deep instincts in a dog's brain. ( some research done donkeys years ago, involving wolf cubs born in Bristol Zoo) One reason why it's never a good idea to leave any dog alone with a baby. You were right to keep your dog on a lead. While a dog may want to nurture the baby, it's brain could well fire up to see the baby as a weakling, an abandoned 'pup' or an interloper into the pack, resulting in attack and the instinct to shake the baby.
Granddaughter, as a prem baby, had a very weak cry, and docile & submissive as their family dog is I can remember even popping quickly to the loo involved taking the dog with me. ( the weak cry didn't last--- she has the loudest wail/ scream/screech I've ever heard come from a child)

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
My yorkie is 10 years old now . two of my daughter have children and she has been no trouble with any of the grandchildren. After the first initial inquisitiveness she just lays down and goes to sleep. The eldest two are now 10 and 5 and they have been taught how to behave around Muffie. The youngest is just 1 and Muffie was very gentle with him on first meeting and takes no notice of him now. All the dogs we have ever had have been good around children but I would never trust them as you never know . They could be having an off day , or the child might go too far in petting them so should always be supervised un till at an age they can be left and trusted with a dog. The breeder where we had our German Shepherd from' under supervsion has children come in and handle the puppies when thy are about 5 weeks old . It teaches both, the child how to behave and the dog gets used to children so they can be a good family pet.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Well at least I can be reassured that my dog is fairly normal. I wouldn't ever leave her with a baby or youngster as it would not be fair on her, she has had so little experience with children, she is always going to be an unknown entity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back