Does anyone leave thier motorhome in Portugal (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
im a newbie
Hi
I’m interested to know if anyone leaves thier motorhome in Portugal and fly home enabling to make multiple holidays in Portugal without cost and time taken to drive . Where would they recommend parking and cost

Thanks

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Not Portugal but I met a couple who leave theirs quite often at long term airport parking in spain/france

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
you just have to check if your insurance will cover you as far as I am aware from previous enquiriesSaga dont nor LV or CC&CC if you are not with the van

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Hi
I’m interested to know if anyone leaves thier motorhome in Portugal and fly home enabling to make multiple holidays in Portugal without cost and time taken to drive . Where would they recommend parking and cost

Thanks
We do not do it -but we have a few friends who leave their van in secure storage near Faro airport and either walk to the airport , or pay a driver.
Easily located on the internet, - all other things need serious investigation!
Good luck, vanners have such easy life choices!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Not Portugal, but we left our motorhome indoors at Chris Parking, Alicante Airport, for 6 months winter 2018/19 and again winter 2019/20.

Flew back and forth every couple of weeks or so and worked well... until we came slightly unstuck in the pandemic. But got it all sorted OK in the end.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi

Thanks
is portugal the same as spain in that 6 months is the maximum the vehicle can be in the country with no return for the next 6 ? ( The same as mine can only be in the UK for 6 months & no return for another 6.)

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
is portugal the same as spain in that 6 months is the maximum the vehicle can be in the country with no return for the next 6 ? ( The same as mine can only be in the UK for 6 months & no return for another 6.)
Yes gus - very similar application of the law --- except that i did not try to answer that aspect of the question, all the op seemed to want to know, was if it was possible easily store their van , short term!,, thats what i answered.

Apr 9, 2015
🇵🇹
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Every day a schoolday
Hi

Thanks
You could try emailing the local tourist information office (nearest your choice of airport) for details of secure long term parking for larger vehicles. We tried that in Lisbon and it worked a treat …. they gave me a list of several options - although our plans changed and we never went to Lisbon then.
Also, some campsites might let you park up in a corner …. always worth asking 😉

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
Hi

Thanks
I have an English friend in central portugal near Abrantes. He has a large plot of land at his house and allows several vans to be parked there. I can give details if required

Jul 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
just looking b514
I have an English friend in central portugal near Abrantes. He has a large plot of land at his house and allows several vans to be parked there. I can give details if required
Thank you very much for that ,but woujd need to be near faro ,
But thanks again for offer

Jul 20, 2022
Funster No
MH
just looking b514
We do not do it -but we have a few friends who leave their van in secure storage near Faro airport and either walk to the airport , or pay a driver.
Easily located on the internet, - all other things need serious investigation!
Good luck, vanners have such easy life choices!!
Found them and have emailed them,
Thanks for help

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Found them and have emailed them,
Thanks for help
We leave our van at the camper stop 5mins from airport & are doing so again this Christmas. 5e per day & you can walk to airport or he will take you by car. Nice place too.

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017

Think the rule is six months in a calendar year so is possible to stay July to December and January to June the following year. The vehicle needs to remain legal in its own country so taxed insured and motd at all times.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The vehicle needs to remain legal in its own country so taxed insured and MoT'd at all times.

That is important!
So you may need to time your departure around your MoT dates.
As you would enter a world of problems if you turn up in Calais in a UK plated vehicle without valid MoT or tax

Also check your insurance.
Many companies do not permit long term storage outside the UK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back