Does anyone have a autosleepers Fairford van? (1 Viewer)

vince-macca

Free Member
Jul 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt & Van
Exp
All, I am looking to purchase a fairly new autosleeper fairford(not the plus) and would welcome some advice. I will be downsizing from my swift lifestyle 644 so it will not have as much storage available.
I cannot get to view one as yet (lockdown)t, but nowhere can you look at the underseat storage online. So what is it like?
Also it appears none of the windows open .... Is this an issue. Do they get condensation or does van get too warm in summer - do you feel enclosed when you cannot open the doors?
And finally any experiences both good and bad would help before I shell out a load of cash.
Thanks
Vincem

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Based on a Kingham which uses the same base, they have black tinted glass all round. Just behind the cab on either side are two small sliding windows within the glass units, have seen similar on VW’s. One downside of these is that the drainage holes in the runners are pinprick size and difficult to unblock. If they block water leaks down the inside of the van. One of mine is currently sealed with clear tape waiting for a dry spell. Can drive with them open for added ventilation. There’s also three roof lights. If it’s really hot you can also open rear doors as well as slider, know of some who sleep with door open but not fancied it myself. As long as you have some ventilation condensation is no more of a problem than coachbuilt. Storage is always a bit of an issue in a pvc. On these water tanks and gas is under slung, but under the seats will be the Sargent electrical unit, leisure battery and Truma. Consider also some protection to ducts and pipes underseats if you’re likely to pack areas. It’s a good opportunity to consider what you carry as opposed to what you need. Watch payload, AS vans tend to be heavy

OP
OP
V

vince-macca

Free Member
Jul 30, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt & Van
Exp
Thanks Soaris for that. AS are quoting 3111kgs which is not a lot when we are not light people, we will eat a decent chunk of it!!!
Will need to establish if tanks are measured at full or empty. Have heard that whale heater is now underfloor. Are you happy with yours?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
Try typing in Fairford into safari or whatever. In there is a link to their forum and a link 25 July 2018 to Mfun discussion on weight. As stated there I thought miro included the 75 kg for driver but didn’t think allowance was as much as 90% for fuel, gas, water. Also check standard spec for van ( are solar panels included). Any extras like awning will reduce allowance. There’s advice on here somewhere about weights of necessary items so you could do rough calcs. Would have thought 389kg doable for two, but it’s four berth. We’re two up and loaded for holidays various weighbridges have put us just under max. If you can get it weighed you’ll know for sure starting point, only costs around tenner. Re whale heater underfloor that’s post ours so can’t comment but believe water heater is still inboard but bit smaller than combined unit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back