Does a van have to be insured as a camper? (1 Viewer)

Ozmosis

Free Member
Jan 8, 2018
Funster No
I've heard that it's usually cheaper to insure a camper than than to insure the same van in its original state. In quotes I've seen this hasnt been the case, but it might be becasue I'm a relatively new driver. Can I insure my van through the usual means, or do i have to tell the company if its a camper? is there a grey area? when does a mattress in the back become a 'camper van' is it a certain amount of amenities?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when does a mattress in the back become a 'camper van' is it a certain amount of amenities?
Yes...compulsory requirements.....
At least one side window
A bed (which can be converted from seating.)
An internal cupboard, locker or wardrobe.
A sink
A water supply (can be a water container)
A fixed cooker
A fixed table (can be removable but must have permanent fixings)
The outside MUST look like a camper/motorhome rather than a panel van....awning/decals/tv aerial etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If only insured as a van I doubt the insurers would pay out for the full value Inc internal fixtures and fittings in the case of total loss or accident..
They'll only pay the current value of a panel van.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Also on tolls like dartford crossing you get charged more for a van then a camper. Commercial and pleasure,

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
I've heard that it's usually cheaper to insure a camper than than to insure the same van in its original state. In quotes I've seen this hasnt been the case, but it might be becasue I'm a relatively new driver. Can I insure my van through the usual means, or do i have to tell the company if its a camper? is there a grey area? when does a mattress in the back become a 'camper van' is it a certain amount of amenities?
Some companies will give you a certain amount of time to complete the conversion and get the V5 changed. I insured my Bongo with 'Shield' on that basis, otherwise a Bongo counts as an MPV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back