Do I Need New Batteries, Please? (1 Viewer)

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi :) On my new-to-me MoHo, both of my batteries were showing the top end of 2/3 charge. Today, I had the water heater on for about 20 minutes and the hab battery dropped by one 'point'. I have solar panels and it's been really sunny here for days. Is this normal or do I need new batteries, please? Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_4125.jpg
    IMG_4125.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4126.jpg
    IMG_4126.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 6
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Before going of on a diagnostic red herring chase, do you have a 12v to 240v inverter because your water heater won't run on the 12v hab battery or the solar panels unless you have an inverter.
Is the m/h connected to a 240v main supply (EHU)?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The only thing connecting 12v to the water heater is the control circuit board and that will use practically nothing.
You need to use a multimeter on the battery terminals to get a true voltage.
The cab/starter battery won't be affected by anything 12v in the hab area but should be showing full charge.... I suspect the guages are inaccurate... Nothing new there then.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Before going of on a diagnostic red herring chase, do you have a 12v to 240v inverter because your water heater won't run on the 12v hab battery or the solar panels unless you have an inverter.
Is the m/h connected to a 240v main supply (EHU)?

Sentence 1 I have no idea
Sentence 2 No

:)

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The only thing connecting 12v to the water heater is the control circuit board and that will use practically nothing.
You need to use a multimeter on the battery terminals to get a true voltage.
The cab/starter battery won't be affected by anything 12v in the hab area but should be showing full charge.... I suspect the guages are inaccurate... Nothing new there then.

Thank you! After reading this very slowly, three times, I understand you :D However, even if the guages are faulty by not showing a full charge, would you still expect the battery to drop by 1 after 20 minutes of water heating? Or are you saying the guages are not doing anything correctly? If so, can I do anything about that, please? Thank you for your help :)

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
do you have a 12v to 240v inverter because your water heater won't run on the 12v hab battery or the solar panels unless you have an inverter.
Unless it's a gas-powered water heater with a 12V control circuit board.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I think your water heater is a Truma Combi so it will draw some current for the control electronics and the flue fan.
Any load on a battery will drop the voltage the heavier the load the higher the volt drop.
Those type of meter are just a guide I wouldn't worry about. If they drop a lot we can talk you through how to check your batteries.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I think your water heater is a Truma Combi so it will draw some current for the control electronics and the flue fan.
Any load on a battery will drop the voltage the heavier the load the higher the volt drop.
Those type of meter are just a guide I wouldn't worry about. If they drop a lot we can talk you through how to check your batteries.

GREAT!!! Thank you so much. Really appreciate your help! :):ta:

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The gauges are probably showing voltage, in steps of coloured lights. Even if it was an accurate voltmeter, it would be a bit misleading.

A battery not being charged will have a voltage from 12.8V (fully charged) down to about 12.0V (the lower limit for normal use). If it's being charged, its voltage will be raised to anything up to 14.8V by the charger.

A very discharged battery could show 13.5V as it's being charged, and a very full battery could show 13.5V as the charger stops charging and switches to float mode. So you can see that simply measuring the voltage of a battery while it's charging doesn't give you much information. If it's LEDs and not a proper number, then it's even more vague. So that scale R - 1/3 - 2/3 - 3/3 is just decoration.

To answer the question, I'd want to do further tests and see how the batteries hold up in normal use, before getting too worried.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The gauges are probably showing voltage, in steps of coloured lights. Even if it was an accurate voltmeter, it would be a bit misleading.

A battery not being charged will have a voltage from 12.8V (fully charged) down to about 12.0V (the lower limit for normal use). If it's being charged, its voltage will be raised to anything up to 14.8V by the charger.

A very discharged battery could show 13.5V as it's being charged, and a very full battery could show 13.5V as the charger stops charging and switches to float mode. So you can see that simply measuring the voltage of a battery while it's charging doesn't give you much information. If it's LEDs and not a proper number, then it's even more vague. So that scale R - 1/3 - 2/3 - 3/3 is just decoration.

To answer the question, I'd want to do further tests and see how the batteries hold up in normal use, before getting too worried.

Thank you so much for your easy to understand reply :) I'm learning something every day :)

:ta:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back