Distraught owner seeks help... (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I‘ve sent the picture to my MoHo dealer (NiBi dealer for Suisse) he‘s also a Goldschmitt installer and “may have parts“, they are well stocked. He‘ll call me tomorrow AM.

Plan B the Goldschmitt place opposite NiBi in Polch ? They do lots of the post factory upgrades for NiBi customers.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Paul

Do you know there is Goldschmitt service centre at Polch just over the road from N+B factory, they should know what you need.

Oops sorry didn't read Ridgeway 's post.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
These may be able to point you in the right direction?

Their turnover must be high, we run 450 trucks with the airbags just in our Service. Hopefully they have one that fits.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Its highly unlikely that Goldsmit will have their own airspring , they just wouldn't have the demand quantities
SAF Holland are probably the main supplier in Europe
They were even able to supply replacement airsprings for my US RV they were very helpfull in ID,ing and cross referencing .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only advice I can add ... stay away from the matches ... :imoutahere:

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Pretty disgusting service - but post COVID oh so typical.

It's provided a gold plated excuse for shoddy customer service across all sectors.

Can't offer advice but can say say hope it gets sorted ASAP.
It's not Covid it's the war in Sudan.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Sorry to hear of your continued hassles Paul, I would agree that it is likely to be a generic part that Goldscmidt buy in, so probably worth doing a bit of digging with the part number as suggested if you get nowhere ringing Polch.

I would also try Mick at SAP or Gliderite, both fit a lot of airbags to Fiat Alko and might be able tompoint you in the right direction.

I do agree that many companies seem still to be using covid as the greatest copout ever but not all are the same. I had a front airbag go on the front of my 20 year old MAN based N&B, front air was a very rare option at that time and they stopped making my chassis in 2006 so I was expecting problems and indeed the first one didnt fit so they had a relook and sent another one that was correct both came overnight, so the whole process took 48 hours.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
OK talked with the service manager at my NiBi dealer. He told me that he often does have these in stock as they replace several pairs a year, yes he said to replace in pairs😮‍💨. But he doesn‘t have any at present as he‘s waiting on a large (postponed) delivery from GS. He did say that there are alternatives on the market that will fit, he mentioned it will be easier to find those in Germany or at least on a German speaking forum. But after hearing what he said I think it‘s worth trying via the established UK suppliers that know their around this stuff as mentioned above, you can‘t be the first person to need one in a hurry.

I can check on the Arto FB group as well if you want, there‘s some pretty resourceful people on there.

Sorry to have not been any more help.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Must be the unluckiest motorhomer in the world.

As you know, recently changed our van to a beautiful machine. Few nights away, fixing this and that.

And now this.

One of the air suspension bolts came out on the rear tag axle. (goldshmitt) this has caused a "tear" in the bellow. Managed to get home and assess the situation.

Today I phoned Travel World who don't stock the bellow, said they would have to email Goldsmitt with an estimated response time of get it "3 weeks" just to respond..

Tried ringing RV installs who said pretty much the same and prepare for a 3 month yes 3 month wait to get this sorted. I'm pretty confident I could fit the bellow myself if I had the chance but I can't even get one. I have looked at the options of trying a temp repair but my brain can not engage this.

I genuinely think right now, after 20 years of doing this, I'm done with it. what sort of industry could it be acceptable to leave you on the side of the road for 3 months. I have no idea how what happened happened, probably one of our numerous pot holed excuses for a road, but I've had enough.

I've put some pictures up if anyone can suggested if there's a work around. View attachment 891393View attachment 891394View attachment 891394
I have a couple of new airbags from my Bus & Coach Preservation days.
The smaller one that I purchased for the Dennis Dart might fit so, perhaps, these suppliers might be able to help as a temporary measure?
From your Avatar, it looks as if you are in Switzerland, shame your not near East Anglia.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I know it's probably not an expense you want or need. But if it is this much trouble this time, it will be this much trouble next time if there is one.
Might this not be a good enough reason to speak to a UK supplier/installer and get it swapped out for a setup that you can get good support on quickly?
Suspension seems a critical part that needs fast support if there is a problem?

Possibly be quicker to get it swapped as well and you will have peace of mind?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As you know why it went and it wasn’t due to perishing I think you would be ok to change just one, they're not the same as iron springs.
I agree with you Jon re damage rather than perishing, however, if it's an easy job to replace, I'd be inclined to replace both and keep the good one as a spare.

haganap. Sorry to hear of your suspension woes Paul, but I wish you all the best sorting it out. (y)

Jock. :)

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I agree with you Jon re damage rather than perishing, however, if it's an easy job to replace, I'd be inclined to replace both and keep the good one as a spare.

haganap. Sorry to hear of your suspension woes Paul, but I wish you all the best sorting it out. (y)

technically I would be changing 4 as you don't do pairs, you do quadruples.

However, there isn't a need for this to be done. There is no perishing of the air bag and they are just out of warranty, Essentially it looks like the bottom bolt gave out, this then meant that it came lose and some how entangled it's way in the gubbings and tearing it enough or rubbing it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

Tbf that would guarantee that you never needed one ever again :LOL:

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
They are different but I've sent them a message to see if they hold stock..
Thank you

there is a clear tear in the bellow, i did think of tube and repair.
however, apparently its no good because of the constant travel in the bag and psi required.. i think i will try though even if temporary

as above, being its electronic, i don't think it will work changing for different bellows

no where i can find does this.

I have the number , did you have a link? But again, pretty sure they need to be goldschmitt.
Is there any chance to contact the manufacturer direct or otherwise check stock in Germany, numbers are so much bigger there, they can pop it in the post for you, or get a cheap flight and get a few spares to take home ?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Think I'd be quite happy just changing the one bag. It doesn't know there are three others and I'm expecting they all have their own individual pressure gauges ?
Steel coil/leaf springs can get "tired" over time and it does make sense to replace them as pairs as it's unlikely they would have failed "early" in their lives ?

As an aside, if that steel band is like a big Jubilee clip holding the bag in place and you were stuck in the middle of nowhere, I'd be tempted to cut the bottom inch off the bag and reseal it with the clip, (as long as it didn't have a "bead" moulded into it that engaged in a groove in the bottom plate) it could get you back to civilisation ?

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
I know it's probably not an expense you want or need. But if it is this much trouble this time, it will be this much trouble next time if there is one.
Might this not be a good enough reason to speak to a UK supplier/installer and get it swapped out for a setup that you can get good support on quickly?
Suspension seems a critical part that needs fast support if there is a problem?

Possibly be quicker to get it swapped as well and you will have peace of mind?
What happens if "next time" isn't in the UK? Its a pretty unusual issue, if replaced and all other mountings checked in case they are loose then should be good to go.

Aug 12, 2021
Nantwitch Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Flair
Exp
25years
When ever someone complains about paying £20 pound to join it is worth it for getting a bit of help,I think Paul is sorted. I new I would be of use one day👍
IMG_0325.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back