Display vehicle speed on Android Auto (1 Viewer)

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Long shot, but would anyone here have experience of using Android Auto in their car or MH? If so, have you managed to get the head unit to display the vehicle speed while using Android Auto with Google Maps?

I've just had a double-DIN unit (Kenwood 5020) installed. If I display the map on my phone alone (not connected to Android Auto), it shows the speed limit, plus the actual GPS speed, which goes red if the limit is exceeded, but connecting to AA seems to stop the speed being displayed, although the speed limit of the road I'm on is, still.

For anyone who uses Waze instead of G-maps, does your unit display speed when on Android Auto?

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
You need to turn on the speedometer in the maps app settings, not in Android Auto which was counter intuitive to where I thought it was. In our version of Android, in maps, go to settings, Navigation Settings, and near the bottom in driving options you can turn the speedometer on or off.

Sometimes it only works when I’m using a route, not sure why it doesn’t show all the time…

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
For anyone who uses Waze instead of G-maps, does your unit display speed when on Android Auto?
Wow. Google now tracking us in our motorhomes. No thank you. I will stick to the double DIN sat nav. Nobody tracks that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Wow. Google now tracking us in our motorhomes. No thank you. I will stick to the double DIN sat nav. Nobody tracks that.
If you have a phone on you’re tracked via that anyway so might as well use google maps as it checks for accidents, roadworks, delays etc. and can divert you before you get to them…

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I use the Apple version of Android Auto but I expect they are similar. Yes Waze does show vehicle speed as well as speed limit on the head unit screen. It can also sound a chime if the speed limit is exceeded.

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
You need to turn on the speedometer in the maps app settings, not in Android Auto which was counter intuitive to where I thought it was. In our version of Android, in maps, go to settings, Navigation Settings, and near the bottom in driving options you can turn the speedometer on or off.

Sometimes it only works when I’m using a route, not sure why it doesn’t show all the time…
Thank you! The speedometer is switched on and shows on the phone, but not on the display unit, which only shows the speed limit on the current road.

I may try switching it off and back on again, in case it jogs it into action, but I fear it might be an Android setting that us mere mortals can’t access.

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I use the Apple version of Android Auto but I expect they are similar. Yes Waze does show vehicle speed as well as speed limit on the head unit screen. It can also sound a chime if the speed limit is exceeded.
Thanks Pausim. And you don’t find that Waze is too ad-ridden, do you? I’d be interested to try it if not.

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
I've not used Android for a while as we've not been anywhere but I do remember it mihgt only work if you have a route set. The other option I'm going for is a heads up display that shows the speed, there was a thread on MHF the other week about them, seemed a better idea, bigger display to see the speed.

Oct 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Hi . I have the same problem .You found a way for the speedometer to be displayed ? Thank you.

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
Petrus Sorry not looked at it as we’ve been selling our house and full timing whilst we look for another one! If you have a route set it will show the speed in Android, the other option I’m going to go with is the idea about using another old phone (no sim etc) and downloading a GPS app

Oct 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Thank you .I have a seat leon with integrated full link/android auto on headunit . Maybe I need to update the headunit software . Good luck on finding the desired house .

I2C

Feb 2, 2015
Northamptonshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
if you don’t mind about the terms and conditions I’d use Waze with Android auto, that definitely gives speed, our so-in-law uses it all the time, just remembered! I refuse to use it as I don’t like the terms to use it but that’s just me 😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back