Discount for singles (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Many sites have a price that includes 2 adults etc etc, and charge extra for any additional adults. I've yet to come across any that reduce the overnight price accordingly for the single person, after all I'm only using 50% of the showers, toilet waste etc.

Deleted User
I have come across some sites that give a small single person discount but like you have found that a lot won't. It would be helpful if there was an app that listed sites that cater for single occupancy.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Not come across a big discount at campsites as still allocated a whole not half a pitch but certainly some reductions sometimes so always worth asking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
csd4t
Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Didn't mean I wanted 50% just that I'm using 50% of the facilities, they're happy to charge an extra £5 or so for additional adults but not reduce £5 for singles, discrimination I say "call the police":confused:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
But they don’t charge me less when I use my shower and toilet rather than theirs.

You also wouldn’t be happy if you turned up and wanted a place, and they said no, as they would prefer a bigger group to use the space as it would earn more.

Deleted User
But they don’t charge me less when I use my shower and toilet rather than theirs.

You also wouldn’t be happy if you turned up and wanted a place, and they said no, as they would prefer a bigger group to use the space as it would earn more.
I think the point is that if you have an ' extra person' then they charge you more but if on your own then then they don't reduce the price.

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Thought someone mentioned to me that Caravan & Camping Club give a discount.
Not Caravan & Motorhome Club.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Some sites in France (and possibly Spain and Portugal), particularly municipal sites, break their charges down to individual items, so you pay for the pitch, for each person, electricity etc.

Deleted User
But I don't think they give a single person discount for membership.

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
No, something better than nothing though.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
Both clubs charge individually which makes it cheaper for solos to use the main sites. Often the 5 pitch sites charge for two people and can work out more expensive. Camping and caravan club also have the old biddies discount which makes it cheaper for some of us !

Deleted User

Both clubs charge for a pitch and then per person, no discount as such but if only one person that is what you pay for.

Edit: Everybody beat me to it:)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Oops everybody and Matamoros beat me to it .. sorry. :(

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Camping in the Forest (which is run though the C&CC) give a 30% singles discount. But other discounts won't apply. Not sure how many Funsters would appreciate the chaos of some of the 500+ pitch sites.

But although the site facilities might have a bit less wear and tear from a singleton, the pitch is fully occupied. Taken to extremes, if everyone arrived as singles, took full pitches, and yet had discounts would sites remain viable? Most do need to make a profit and that is based on overall occupancy levels. There might be a tad less water and loo roll use, but the site will still need the same number of staff to clean those loos and showers, cut the grass, and so on. Most of the costs are therefore fixed per pitch, not number of bodies.

Deleted User
Camping in the Forest (which is run though the C&CC) give a 30% singles discount. But other discounts won't apply. Not sure how many Funsters would appreciate the chaos of some of the 500+ pitch sites.

But although the site facilities might have a bit less wear and tear from a singleton, the pitch is fully occupied. Taken to extremes, if everyone arrived as singles, took full pitches, and yet had discounts would sites remain viable? Most do need to make a profit and that is based on overall occupancy levels. There might be a tad less water and loo roll use, but the site will still need the same number of staff to clean those loos and showers, cut the grass, and so on. Most of the costs are therefore fixed per pitch, not number of bodies.
Fair comment but I came across a site a while back that charged £10 extra per person but only gave a discount of £5 for single occupancy. The extra wear and tear of an additional person is the same as the less wear and tear of a single person so difference in charges should be the same.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I used them a lot (club sites) before meeting Andrew it worked out cheaper than using a CS as they didnt give single discounts

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There just isn't any standard way of charging. On aires you effectively pay for the pitch and it would be no more expensive if there was a dozen of you. At the other end of the scale there was a place in Corsica we stayed at where the charge was per person only and it didn't matter if you had a tent, caravan or MH. :)

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Fair comment but I came across a site a while back that charged £10 extra per person but only gave a discount of £5 for single occupancy. The extra wear and tear of an additional person is the same as the less wear and tear of a single person so difference in charges should be the same.
Ahhhh but, if you only used half a pitch ?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Every site we’ve stayed on in Norway has charged extra for showers so if you use your motorhome one you saved. Last nights even had a choice of fees for a 2 minute or a 4 minute shower. Denmark seems to vary, sometimes they’re included in the pitch price and sometimes not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back