Free Member
Jan 11, 2017
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P720
Exp
2years
Good morning all, just been reading about the proposals re Diesel engines , any ideas how it will affect all of us

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The cities I have read about have said the proposals will not affect privately owned vehicles..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The whole thing has the makings of a massive cock up.

At local level LAs have been given the power to penalise drivers of diesel vehicles more or less at will with their clean air zones meanwhile at a national level there are still massive incentives to buy and drive diesel vehicles, company car allowances for example.

It seems to me that someone's made a great headline grabbing announcement without thinking it through properly.

Again. :whistle:

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
The latest figures I can find state that in 2015 in excess of 2.6 million cars were sold in the U.K. & 48.3% of these were diesels & of course brand new 17 plate diesel cars are being sold by the shedload, so I don't see diesel cars disappearing anytime soon, although maybe older pre Euro 4 cars may see a scrappage deal offered, nevertheless that still leaves millions of diesel vans, trucks & buses etc on the road.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
PLG and post September 2015, so I'm ok

Not that I would want to go to any of those places in any case

Just a convenient way to raise additional revenue, and nothing is firm, yet. The worst offenders (taxis, buses, coaches and dustcarts) are all exempted. Seems a good way to rid the streets of that scourge Uber

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I think I heard that it is pre 2014 vehicles that are affected, after all if you have a Euro 6 engine then that is the latest approved one so cannot see that being included

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Unless York city council implement the charge it won't effect me in the slightest.
The last city I drove in, apart from York, was London.......37 years ago.
Nothing important enough to drag me into a city.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
What would be really good is - If they gave incentives to commercial vehicle manufacturers to develop hybrids. weight is really the only issue - imagine a 44t truck with a 6/7 litre engine(normally 12/13) and a bank of batteries and electric motors and a roof full of solar panels - would save loads of diesel as a lot of the time on UK's superb roads they are cruising, crawling or idling or shunting around yards.

The biggest issue I think would be the payload and cost, If they could give a suitable allowance and encouragement it could make a massive difference to particulate levels. It could then pass down to light Cvs and hence Mhs.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I think I heard that it is pre 2014 vehicles that are affected, after all if you have a Euro 6 engine then that is the latest approved one so cannot see that being included
From what I read there appears to be little or no distinction between a "Euro 6" compliant engine (in other words, a Euro 5 engine meeting that standard) and an engine that is actually "Euro 6" designated The cut off date for 3.5T motorhomes being September 2015

All a bit silly really, what happens if someone decides to replace their engine? Badly thought out, again

From this it does appear that the proposed action is loosely consistent with the stated aim of reducing pollution. Not that the cut off date concerns me (April 2016) or the locations particularly interest me

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I posted this on another MH forum

"
[A member] posted a general question about diesel, although his link was to the inner city charges.

Those charges are of probably less concern to MH owners than a general ban on diesels in say 2105, which is a date I have seen bandied about.

If such a ban were to include existing vehicles and not just new sales that could have serious consequences for MH owners.

I can understand that governments might consider 7-8 years sufficient notice for transport companies, whose vehicle do 50-100K miles a year, to plan fleet renewals.

I am not sure the engine companies will be producing petrol engines for up to 44t trucks in time for that.

However, back to low-usage vehicles like MHs, Ambulances and School buses. These are being almost exclusively sold with diesel engines this year and pre-ordered for next year. Even older vehicles, like my MH, have only done 40k miles in 13 years, so could easily have another 13 years of life."

Geoff

Do governments really expect that these low-mileage per year should be scrap in 7-8 years? And what are the governments doing to discuss with the motor industry what replacement engines will be available for a) new builds and b) retrofit?

MHs are not the only expensively fitted-out vehicles on low mileage - I have mentioned ambulances, but there are also fire appliances, mobile cranes etc. Would the regulations expect all these to be scrapped and replaced - a lot at central and local government expense. I suppose the government could exempt the operators of these vehicles, but I think it would take a lot of heavy lobbying for the likes of MH owners, with no 'Trade body', to get a similar exemption.

I think we need to monitor whatever is being proposed very carefully, or between use we could be asked to write-off billions of pounds.

Not scaremongering but being watchful.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back