LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Unbeknown to me but you get up to 25 cents a plastic bottle back at supermarkets including lidls.
It all makes sense now. Why people were putting them into the recycling at the front of lidls. Why people were going through bins. Why isnt there the normal french recycling bins.
It seems you cant get a refund in lidls if you bought it elsewhere so its like a loyalty scheme.
We will be doing our first refund recycle tomorrow and hope to get a fiver off the bill.
Even the dirt cheap beers get money back and cans of beer.
Posted for others information

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I remember having Phand on our first motorhome trip to Germany back in 2007 :doh: what a pain in the :moon2: , a motorhome full of recycling. :rofl:
It was great years ago when kids got a few beer bottles from the pub yard, :wink: and took them back in the off-licence and got the deposits. :whistle2:
But yes a good idea and although a pain it works, and yes people still dump them in bins, and a lot of people go round collecting them, so if you see the Phand Symbol on anything save it. :D2 Bob.
Screenshot_20190708-215234_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Germany is another place it has been happening for years. Once saw a woman turn up with 3 black bin liners full and had to come back later because she was going to take ages. Beware though, each supermarket will only take the empty bottles from the brands it sells. The machine spits back any foreigners, I think it reads the bar code.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Devra

Banned
Jun 1, 2016
Germany
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 585 Sport
Exp
Since 2000
It seems you cant get a refund in lidls if you bought it elsewhere so its like a loyalty scheme.

Beware though, each supermarket will only take the empty bottles from the brands it sells. The machine spits back any foreigners, I think it reads the bar code.

This is not the whole story. Branded products (Coke, Beck's. etc) can be returned to any supermarket in the whole of Germany. In our village there is a Netto, which sells it own-brand beer, called Falkenfelser Export, in bottles. They can only be returned to any Netto in Germany.
There is 25 ct deposit on every PET bottle and aluminium can. Glass beer bottles have 8 ct deposit and €1.50 for the crate, so €3.10 for a full crate of 20 bottles.

I drink a lot of Apfelschörle (a non-alcoholic apple drink) which comes in 0.5 liter PET bottles. The deposit is more expensive than the contents.

Germany is a very green country (or tries to be) and is getting greener all the time.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Trouble is that if you stock up with any bottled product in Germany, its costs 25cents deposit. If you then venture into France you can't redeem the deposit. Even the packs of bottles have a 25 cent deposit on each bottle.
You can end up with a few £ worth of empty bottles.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back