Decent Dealers in uk (2 Viewers)

Nov 5, 2017
Buckinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Select 164
It's a rather ambiguous question ...but where to buy from in respect of large dealers.
I ask as I want to make sure I get the right one with the spec I need.
Island bed is a must...only 2 of us 99% of the time.
Need to carry 150kg scooter in garage or on rear rack.
No real preference to brand so long as it's reliable.
I'm going to Highbridge on Tuesday next week for a look at what they have.
I've seen 2 advertised by them. We have a healthy budget of 45k which is our 2 year old top spec lunar clubman caravan which will px in for around 15 to 16k.And then cash for the balance.
Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.
We are seasoned caravanners and I have towed all over France and Spain so I can help with routes etc then please ask.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
More important to get the van right. Then, probably look for a dealer that's not too far away. You're likely to pay them several visits, if not just for servicing, so convenience is worth considering. All will have good and bad points, in my experience.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Suggest you focus on dealers that are accessible to where you live, so getting any warranty work done isn't an issue. Unlike cars, it's usually only the supplying dealer that will undertake warranty repairs on the habitations side of things.

However, as far as the chassis is concerned, it is the same as with cars - you can get warranty support (assuming the vehicle is new enough) from any authorised dealer, be it Fiat; Ford; Renaul or Mercedes etc.

If you are going to Highbridge, two other sizeable dealers in the local vicinity are West Country Motorhomes, also on the A38, just a couple of miles up the road from Highbridge Caravans; and Davan, next to Junction 21 of the M5, on the outskirts of Weston-super-Mare. Both Highbridge and Davan retail caravans as well as motorhomes, so might be more interested in your trade-in?

Just to add - :welcome3: it's time to subscribe to MotorhomeFun, so you can keep getting hints and tips, as well as join in all the lively MH banter. (y)

Cheers, Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Island bed is a must
That's exactly what we said when we looked for our first Motorhome, because that's what we had in our caravan. After three years with one we finally realised we spend more time awake than asleep. We now have a drop down bed, but a brilliant choice of daytime seating/lounging and storage.

Upvote 0

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
:hiya2: & :welcomesign:

Finding a good dealer will probably take longer than finding a good motorhome.

Ray

Upvote 0
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I can only say I have been happy with the service I have had from the 2 dealers I have used in recent years. Premier and Southdown. If payload is critical to you I would be wary of the figures given in brochures, which are sometimes quoted by salespersons. They are often based on vehicle weights before extras like ovens and spare wheels have been added. If in doubt ask them to weigh it or produce some certification.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Don’t rush it. Focus on layout, payload, build quality.
Try local dealers,pay them a few visits. Where are you?

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have bought both our motorhome from Highbridge and their customer service has been excellent.

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
A good local dealer is best but if that is not possible then I would rather hsve a good dealer than a local one.

This is excellent advice, speaking from experience. My local Hymer dealer are shall we say not good on the after sales side.

Currently using Travelworld who so far have given excellent after sales service and I’m happy to use despite being a 7 hour round trip. We always use any trips there as an excuse for a couple of nights away.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Because people like to buy as close to home as possible, we've now added map functionality to our dealer reviews section. Click on the dealer category and you'll see a map of all the dealers.

Upvote 0
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Both our present, and soon to be, new motorhomes come from dealers about 80 miles away.

We are lucky that we have a Caravan/motorhome repair centre 4 miles away who is authorised and willing to undertake warranty work on most of the major marques.

Upvote 0

Musicboy

Free Member
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7096+
Exp
fulltiming since 2003
I'm sure we are all dying to know of a really good dealership...
on Mars maybe . ???

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back