Dealer Woes (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all

Just introduced myself and already a question!! determined to get my money's worth tut tut;)
We have been to three dealers here in Scotland which I won't name as it may be a bit unfair. The trouble we are having is the attitude basically. I know it's a difficult time right now but we have found so far it's like drawing blood trying to get decent customer service.

The first dealer we went to, we felt as though we were a nuisance asking to see two models, the guy had to walk some distance back to the office for keys. we tried to engage him but nothing....not interested, not a smile in sight and we left feeling deflated and decided there and then we would not return.
Second dealer who has good reviews. Same thing. torn face salesman who just looked like he could not be bothered.

Third and last dealer visited for a second time today. we went last weekend and were attended to by the owner. We left with the opinion that he was the ideal salesman. not pushy and willing to talk and answer our questions. We asked about a test drive and stated we would return the following weekend. They got the day mixed up and had the van ready yesterday despite me emailing beforehand to arrange for Sunday.
We took the van out and were happy enough with it apart from the brakes.

I was dealt with by one of the salesman and once again the couldn't care less attitude prevailed. They could not find the documents for the motorhome we were interested in, a Swift Bolero. The could not tell me when it was last serviced and he looked up the MOT whilst we stood there trying to get information out of him.
This is our first motorhome and we were going to push our budget for it to 50k. Do they really expect you to put a deposit down before they will show you everything's in working order? or how the heating works etc?

I have to say I'm still confused now. We have decided dealers are not worth visiting and have decided to buy privately as that is where the dealers get their stock from then sell on at a profit. I think we will probably have a better experience dealing with a private seller now to be honest.

I understand the perils of buying private.....I think

Your input would be greatly appreciated

Steven (grumpy old git)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
This is our first motorhome and we were going to push our budget for it to 50k. Do they really expect you to put a deposit down before they will show you everything's in working order? or how the heating works etc?
Absolutely not acceptable; you need a full viewing.
£50k is ten times what I paid for my first house.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
In the last three years I finally bought a car from a dealer and a brand new motorhome from a dealer. I'm in my late 60's and have always bought privately. Dealers were ok but I've always been exceptionally happy with my private sales. You don't just assess the vehicle but also the owners. Are they genuine, can they explain everything, do they have the right paperwork etc. There are plenty of motorhomers who are of that age where they have to sell up and pack it in. Often these people will give you good advice and even throw in unwanted extras. Sadly in the past i've bought from women who have lost their partners and want to get the vehicle and its memories off the driveway asap. Sad but they were always happy to accept my offer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We bought a new Autotrail from them immediately before the Pilote and they didn't even bother PDI'ing it.

We took it home (30-minutes from TVM) and parked it on our driveway. In the morning (and on further inspection) I realised that there were dings in several panels of the cab and, more worrying still a golf ball sized impact in the roof pod.

I went back to them the next day and they didn't want to know, stating the excuse of "that's what comes of putting your van in storage"!

........storage my arse - it was on our drive.

Sold it 3-months later with all of its many faults still not fixed.
From what I have read here that’s the same with most dealers and why you have to keep on top of them.

Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Absolutely not acceptable; you need a full viewing.
£50k is ten times what I paid for my first house.
It is exceptable if you want to secure the van for your viewing -£250
Or you take your chance it’s still there when you can get there. They are selling fast and a £250 deposit to view is not bad considering they could of sold it 3 times over.
We’re local and we done this deposit to view, we called in in announced 2 days before viewing date and van was locked so it is worth it.
On viewing day when he gave us keys to view, there were a couple stood outside waiting for us to come out and they told them it’s under viewing so it is worth it and refundable 👍

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Or you take your chance it’s still there when you can get there. They are selling fast and a £250 deposit to view is not bad considering they could of sold it 3 times over.
We’re local and we done this deposit to view, we called in in announced 2 days before viewing date and van was locked so it is worth it.
On viewing day when he gave us keys to view, there were a couple stood outside waiting for us to come out and they told them it’s under viewing so it is worth it and refundable 👍

my money says that if the couple were there and ready to sign, they would have sold it to them there and then and just refunded your viewing fee ....

To the OP, 50K is a lot spend if you havent yet worked out what make/model you want. dont be in a rush to buy and when you have finally decided what you think you want, try putting a 'wanted' advert on the forum. it just might encourage someone who is thinking of selling to make the decision .....

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Ah. I read that after the OP had viewed and agreed to buy the dealer then wanted a (non-refundable) £250 deposit to buy before a full review/demonstration of the equipment.........

I would always be happy to pay a deposit just for a viewing if it was refundable if no sale, especially during the current situation of high demand. There must be many tyre-kickers dreaming of motorhoming at the moment.
A few years ago estate agents wouldn't grant a property viewing unless one's own house was actually under offer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Unfortunately the market is so hot with people buying that the dealers do not need to try. If you don't buy it, somebody else will be along soon to buy it.

We're having the same experience here, way down south!! Although our budget is about half the OP.

Went to view a couple of MHs at a local-ish dealer, the 'salesman' acted like we were a nuisance and he couldn't wait to get rid of us. In particular I found him insolent and patronising and I do think it was a sexist thing (I'm female and seen it before - what do women know about cars??). He pooh-poohed every question I asked. I'm not stupid and I know a fair bit from reading this forum for years (y) (y)

As it happens the MHs were nasty and overpriced and I wouldn't have wanted them if they were giving them away.

Karen

Upvote 0

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
So will you be going back there then.......? ;) :rofl:

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
So will you be going back there then.......? ;) :rofl:

Hmmm 🤔 nah don't think so :LOL:
I'm sure we won't be missed. While we were there they turned away 3 couples who turned up without appointments. One of them turned on his heel saying he had £70k to spend. No attempt to make a future appt for him.
As stated, very much a seller's market.

Karen

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Hmmm 🤔 nah don't think so :LOL:
I'm sure we won't be missed. While we were there they turned away 3 couples who turned up without appointments. One of them turned on his heel saying he had £70k to spend. No attempt to make a future appt for him.
As stated, very much a seller's market.

Karen
They really aren't good business people if they think that a sellers market is a permanent feature. People have long memories when it comes to bad treatment and service and when the market turns and it will, they will find that alienated customers will not be very forgiving.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
they didn't explain very much and certainly not about a returnable viewing deposit

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Many thanks again for your replies. We have decided we don't want to spend that much on our first motorhome so back to the drawing board. The thing is, if the dealer had treated us right yesterday they would have been able to sway us as we liked the van. This has put us off dealers for the moment.
Looking everywhere now but I think we need to settle on one model in order to make comparisons as there is so much choice it's confusing.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This is my take on buying (and selling):

1) The first is from a sales perspective does the customer have the money, authority and need.....The customer should ensure the same thing to avoid disappointment they need to work out their budget, is their partner in agreement to spend this money and is there a desire (need) for a MoHo

2) The sales person needs a good pair of ears and let the customer say what their needs are , a good sales person will outline options that may need to be considered and if its within the budget.....and offer ways to stretch that budget either with a discounts or finance (possibly both). It is the responsibility of the customer to do background research before, during and after a veiwing to make sure everything that is being asked for is achievable and included in the price.

3) A sales person reserves the right to sack a customer, the customer has the right to sack the salesperson, this is a business transaction not a leisure one.

Like many people we walked away from three dealers 1) one with was mentioned above due to the sales people showboating (desks too close together, bored and thought they were being funny playing off each other) 2) Nice sales woman who knew here stuff, appalling service department with a really poor attitude, 3) Nice dealership no movement on prices and a tad arrogant.

Buying and selling is an interpersonal experience remember the sales person is not your friend, be polite, be friendly but this is a negotiation.

4) Anything agreed verbally, make sure you put in an email to confirm both your and their understanding. Keep a spreadsheet with the price of everything agreed (including discounts). Check the after sales pricing offers you will sometimes find that the spares department will offer X fitting cost yet the Sales department are selling the same thing at Y. Check to see if the dealer has CCC or CAMC discounts on any additions they won't point this out you have to check and point it out to them.

5) On pick up check the paperwork and check it some more, ( the sales person is going to be a bit fed up at this point but be pedantic its your Cash) here are some things to consider, if the vehicle is new a Fiat should any be driven something like 50 miles before the wheel torques should be checked (is there a fiat dealer on the drive back that can do this for you, remember you are responsible for the roadworthiness of the vehicle) The dealer should be able to get you a slot on your way home... Has the Vehicle been registered with Fiat or Mercedes (for example) as being sold if not you have no vehicle warranty. PDI can you have a copy of the check list please ;) I have had two Volkswagen transporters without PDI's the first the Fog light was not switching on (had never been checked) and the latest vehicle had a PDI but the headlights were set up for left hand drive.

On a second hand vehicle get the paper work for the checks, then get the dealer to go over everything and demonstrate all the features are working.

Its hard work being a buyer be thorough and you are less likely to be disappointed. This is a two way business transaction, if you are professional about how you buy, the salesman is more likely to reciprocate (not always the case but I think it helps)

As I say its just my take on buying and selling wish those who are out there doing deals the best of luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
This is my take on buying (and selling):

1) The first is from a sales perspective does the customer have the money, authority and need.....The customer should ensure the same thing to avoid disappointment they need to work out their budget, is their partner in agreement to spend this money and is there a desire (need) for a MoHo

2) The sales person needs a good pair of ears and let the customer say what their needs are , a good sales person will outline options that may need to be considered and if its within the budget.....and offer ways to stretch that budget either with a discounts or finance (possibly both). It is the responsibility of the customer to do background research before, during and after a veiwing to make sure everything that is being asked for is achievable and included in the price.

3) A sales person reserves the right to sack a customer, the customer has the right to sack the salesperson, this is a business transaction not a leisure one.

Like many people we walked away from three dealers 1) one with was mentioned above due to the sales people showboating (desks too close together, bored and thought they were being funny playing off each other) 2) Nice sales woman who knew here stuff, appalling service department with a really poor attitude, 3) Nice dealership no movement on prices and a tad arrogant.

Buying and selling is an interpersonal experience remember the sales person is not your friend, be polite, be friendly but this is a negotiation.

4) Anything agreed verbally, make sure you put in an email to confirm both your and their understanding. Keep a spreadsheet with the price of everything agreed (including discounts). Check the after sales pricing offers you will sometimes find that the spares department will offer X fitting cost yet the Sales department are selling the same thing at Y. Check to see if the dealer has CCC or CAMC discounts on any additions they won't point this out you have to check and point it out to them.

5) On pick up check the paperwork and check it some more, ( the sales person is going to be a bit fed up at this point but be pedantic its your Cash) here are some things to consider, if the vehicle is new a Fiat should any be driven something like 50 miles before the wheel torques should be checked (is there a fiat dealer on the drive back that can do this for you, remember you are responsible for the roadworthiness of the vehicle) The dealer should be able to get you a slot on your way home... Has the Vehicle been registered with Fiat or Mercedes (for example) as being sold if not you have no vehicle warranty. PDI can you have a copy of the check list please ;) I have had two Volkswagen transporters without PDI's the first the Fog light was not switching on (had never been checked) and the latest vehicle had a PDI but the headlights were set up for left hand drive.

On a second hand vehicle get the paper work for the checks, then get the dealer to go over everything and demonstrate all the features are working.

Its hard work being a buyer be thorough and you are less likely to be disappointed. This is a two way business transaction, if you are professional about how you buy, the salesman is more likely to reciprocate (not always the case but I think it helps)

As I say its just my take on buying and selling wish those who are out there doing deals the best of luck.
The dealers I have been to were not interested in the slightest. Not a chance of getting that level of information from them. The last dealer whom I was thinking of spending 50k with did not know where the basic documents were, last service, mot, how old tyres were.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2012
leyland lancs
Funster No
MH
on order
Exp
im a newbie
We have travelled up and down England recently, we ended up buying from Signature near Preston, friendly excellent service not at all pushy, took it in their stride when I got the collywobbles! I nearly give back word, it is a lot of money you are investing! you need to be sure.

Upvote 0

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
We have travelled up and down England recently, we ended up buying from Signature near Preston, friendly excellent service not at all pushy, took it in their stride when I got the collywobbles! I nearly give back word, it is a lot of money you are investing! you need to be sure.
And a BIG thumbs up for Signature we too bought a van from them and nothing but professional always Mr and Mrs till we told them not to bother as we were always first name people , two salesman and service managers HOME phone numbers in case of problem. monthly news letter as to what's happening, The only down side is that is it on an industrial estate and not a shop front site but if you look on the website and see a van you fancy they will take it out of secure covered storage for you to view but don't just turn up and expect to see the van , we are on our third van and would not hesitate to use them again, Service manager is brilliant and attitude is great( see posts about problems and how quickly resolved and what offered)

Upvote 0
Aug 23, 2019
Shropshire, Market Drayton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Exp
since 2017
Many thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. I'm getting mixed up here with who I'm replying to. I'm using the quote function.
I'm looking on gumtree right now but wary as there are some ratbags around
Do take great care on Gumtree. We very nearly got scammed when we tried to sell on there last year. Thankfully we realised in time or we would have been £47,000 down!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Do take great care on Gumtree. We very nearly got scammed when we tried to sell on there last year. Thankfully we realised in time or we would have been £47,000 down!
Yes I've heard all about gumtree and will be on our guard. No cash handed out until we have possession. HPI checked, Documents match the address, Check out the sellers, the area it's being sold, Documents match Vin no's. Don't accept any excuses, walk away if any doubt and I'll read up on it all again as I'm sure the rotters will find ways around most of it. Thanks

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
steven jackson keep the money out of the way, and don't be swayed to overpay by seeing a shiny looking van. Do a lot of research and pay attention to the horror stories from most uk brand names. Then give the bad dealers a swerve too, if they are appalling pre sale, then post sale if you get issues, there is no chance of a good outcome.

Having bought and sold motorhomes and caravans for years myself, then I advise you to look at private sales and definitely avoid autotrader and most vans that look cheap on ebay. If you see something you like, share the details and we will help with advice

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
:welcomesign: to the pleasures of owning, when you buy, a motorhome.
Did I say that I would never buy from or recommend Campbells of Preston. :rofl:
Good to know thanks. I'm fed up with dealers now to be honest and don't see the point of paying more to them when they get them in on trade- ins, give them a wash...maybe then punt them out the door again at a profit whilst giving poor service and worthless
steven jackson keep the money out of the way, and don't be swayed to overpay by seeing a shiny looking van. Do a lot of research and pay attention to the horror stories from most uk brand names. Then give the bad dealers a swerve too, if they are appalling pre sale, then post sale if you get issues, there is no chance of a good outcome.

Having bought and sold motorhomes and caravans for years myself, then I advise you to look at private sales and definitely avoid autotrader and most vans that look cheap on ebay. If you see something you like, share the details and we will help with advice

Thanks for the advice, especially from someone who is in the trade. I'm surprised about autotrader though. I thought they were all a risk, ebay, gumtree and autotrader. low life everywhere looking to rip you off.
I'm trying to take my time and not be too hasty but we were hoping to have something by the end of the month as we have a week off booked and I've been looking for quite a while now. Saying that, I won't miss out all the checks and if that means getting gazumped so be it.

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
We bought both our PVC and the current motorhome from a small dealership and a caravan dealer.
We couldn’t find anything we were looking for private and traveled to most corners of the country from the Blackpool area to the south coast. In hind site we wasted a lot of time and should have not been in such a rush. It was our first steps into motorhome ownership.
We looked at the motorhome before we decided to part with the PVC. It was only 110 miles away this time and it was found by some one from another forum that had that model and knew the history of this one.
The first dealer was very helpful when we had problems without us having to travel back to the south coast. The caravan dealer was well established and in an area we visited a lot so the yearly habitation check was fitted in with a weekend away. They were very efficient and thorough sorting a couple of minor problems during the habitation service.
The amount of money we paid I am not sure about private sales. I have heard as meany horror stories about private sales and equally dealer sales going wrong. Had we found what we were looking for privately I am not sure we would have bought it. I am not very good at judging people.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We bought both our PVC and the current motorhome from a small dealership and a caravan dealer.
We couldn’t find anything we were looking for private and traveled to most corners of the country from the Blackpool area to the south coast. In hind site we wasted a lot of time and should have not been in such a rush. It was our first steps into motorhome ownership.
We looked at the motorhome before we decided to part with the PVC. It was only 110 miles away this time and it was found by some one from another forum that had that model and knew the history of this one.
The first dealer was very helpful when we had problems without us having to travel back to the south coast. The caravan dealer was well established and in an area we visited a lot so the yearly habitation check was fitted in with a weekend away. They were very efficient and thorough sorting a couple of minor problems during the habitation service.
The amount of money we paid I am not sure about private sales. I have heard as meany horror stories about private sales and equally dealer sales going wrong. Had we found what we were looking for privately I am not sure we would have bought it. I am not very good at judging people.

Can you tell me the difference between a PVC and a motorhome? I've googled it but still unsure. Thanks

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back