Dealer Woes (1 Viewer)

May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Hello all

Just introduced myself and already a question!! determined to get my money's worth tut tut;)
We have been to three dealers here in Scotland which I won't name as it may be a bit unfair. The trouble we are having is the attitude basically. I know it's a difficult time right now but we have found so far it's like drawing blood trying to get decent customer service.

The first dealer we went to, we felt as though we were a nuisance asking to see two models, the guy had to walk some distance back to the office for keys. we tried to engage him but nothing....not interested, not a smile in sight and we left feeling deflated and decided there and then we would not return.
Second dealer who has good reviews. Same thing. torn face salesman who just looked like he could not be bothered.

Third and last dealer visited for a second time today. we went last weekend and were attended to by the owner. We left with the opinion that he was the ideal salesman. not pushy and willing to talk and answer our questions. We asked about a test drive and stated we would return the following weekend. They got the day mixed up and had the van ready yesterday despite me emailing beforehand to arrange for Sunday.
We took the van out and were happy enough with it apart from the brakes.

I was dealt with by one of the salesman and once again the couldn't care less attitude prevailed. They could not find the documents for the motorhome we were interested in, a Swift Bolero. The could not tell me when it was last serviced and he looked up the MOT whilst we stood there trying to get information out of him.
This is our first motorhome and we were going to push our budget for it to 50k. Do they really expect you to put a deposit down before they will show you everything's in working order? or how the heating works etc?

I have to say I'm still confused now. We have decided dealers are not worth visiting and have decided to buy privately as that is where the dealers get their stock from then sell on at a profit. I think we will probably have a better experience dealing with a private seller now to be honest.

I understand the perils of buying private.....I think

Your input would be greatly appreciated

Steven (grumpy old git)

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
I think you mean the difference between a PVC and a coachbuilt motorhome....? My understanding is that a coachbuilt means that the vehicle is supplied with just a cab and chassis, and the coachbuilt bodywork is added to that, whereas with a PVC, some or all of the original van (metal) bodywork may be retained, with windows, etc, cut from the panels, and furniture added to the inside. This is also why coachbuilts tend to be wider than PVCs. If this is not correct, other a Funsters will soon put me right! ;)

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Yes Andy you have got the idea. Our first "PVC" as I put it is better known as a campervan. As you said a van that has been converted to live in. In our case a Transit van with windows and an interior with beds a kitchen and in our case a shower. They can be from a basic van to a very well fitted out interior.
A motorhome as you rightly said is some form of vehicle cab with a body fitted behind it. They do tend to be wider than a camper van. Ours is again a Transit cab with a slightly wider body. Also it is longer and taller than a campervan. I have seen an actual caravan grafted on to a chassis cab. Maybe this is were the idea came from.
The shape and size of body gives you more space and often better insulation. Our first campervan was not very well insulated and being older didnt have a very good heater. The motorhome we have now is better fitted out and has a lot more storage space. We had no idea what to replace our campervan with as I said but looking around the one we knew of it seemed just right to take us in to retirement and use all year in comfort.
Maybe if we had seen the right coachbuild during our search we would have gone for that first. There are some nice smaller coach builds on the market depending on what you want. Also storage was some thing to think of. We can fit the motorhome on the top of the drive but its tight.
Thinking back to our search regarding dealers. A dealer in the Preston area wouldnt let us change the seats to a bed so I could see if it was long enough. I didnt argue about it and walked off. It was a pity because the motorhome was something we were considering. You have the choice to buy or not its there loss if they dont treat you right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
PVC usually refers to Panel Van Conversion (think of white van man)
PCV usually refers to Personnel Carrying Vehicle (think of a minibus)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
thanks for the info and as I thought. What I don't understand is why folk go for a PVC where for the same kind of money you can get a motorhome with more room/shower etc.
I know some of the campervans have showers though but they just look a bit small to me for a two or three week trip to Europe etc.
Also, The way things are now with this virus I want something that is completely self contained/sufficient as half of the toilet/shower blocks are closed on the campsites just now. Even if they were open I wouldn't want to be using them if I could avoid. Have I got this right?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
thanks for the info and as I thought. What I don't understand is why folk go for a PVC where for the same kind of money you can get a motorhome with more room/shower etc.
I know some of the campervans have showers though but they just look a bit small to me for a two or three week trip to Europe etc.
Also, The way things are now with this virus I want something that is completely self contained/sufficient as half of the toilet/shower blocks are closed on the campsites just now. Even if they were open I wouldn't want to be using them if I could avoid. Have I got this right?

Some PVCs are over 7 metres long so not small, the LWB Mercedes being one, VW Crafter LWB another, Iveco LWB another, just as some coach builds and A class are both small and large.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Some PVCs are over 7 metres long so not small, the LWB Mercedes being one, VW Crafter LWB another, Iveco LWB another, just as some coach builds and A class are both small and large.

Ok good to know. Knew I'd get that wrong as I'm pretty new to this. Although all the ones I've seen look a bit tight for two of us

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the thing with a small PVC is that it can soon feel like a prison cell in bad weather. Locked up with your cell mate partner and tempers can get frayed with nowhere to escape to

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Also, can anyone explain what I would be looking for with a 'winterised' motorhome? it's something I'd be looking for as we plan to use the van all year. I've read a bit on here and from what I gather the water tanks are installed inside rather than underneath? that and thermal screens for the windows. What else?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
the thing with a small PVC is that it can soon feel like a prison cell in bad weather. Locked up with your cell mate partner and tempers can get frayed with nowhere to escape to
I would agree and I if one of you is a snorer...…like being at the zoo

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We have a 5.4m PVC for the simple reason that it fits on our drive even with the back doors open. We have a washroom with shower, a dinette, fixed bed - all works fine for 2 adults and 2 dogs. In the evenings, we can chill out in separate spaces - one up front and one sits on the bed.
We went to France in it last year and had a great time, however when we move away from our current house/area we are intending to get a slightly larger van. We like having a PVC as its narrower than a coachbuilt.
There are always reasons why people have a PVC or a coach-built, short length or long, fixed beds or those which making up from the settee every night and so on.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We have a 5.4m PVC for the simple reason that it fits on our drive even with the back doors open. We have a washroom with shower, a dinette, fixed bed - all works fine for 2 adults and 2 dogs. In the evenings, we can chill out in separate spaces - one up front and one sits on the bed.
We went to France in it last year and had a great time, however when we move away from our current house/area we are intending to get a slightly larger van. We like having a PVC as its narrower than a coachbuilt.
There are always reasons why people have a PVC or a coach-built, short length or long, fixed beds or those which making up from the settee every night and so on.

Thank for the insight. We don't have a drive and will have to park it on the road whatever we buy. We stay in a village though and the road going through it is pretty wide so I'm fairly happy with that. Will be using it all year at weekends and holiday's. security will be my number one priority when we finally take the plunge

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
I should start another post as I'm getting into the technical bit here. Ps didn't mean to offend anyone about choosing a PVC over a motorhome, in fact, after test driving a Swift Bolero I thought it was a bit heavy and cumbersome and imagine at that weight it would be heavy. Thinking about a compact now

Upvote 0
Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Our first van, an Autosleeper Duetto was well equipped taking is abroad and to a lot of the uk. As I said it was the heating that really let it down. There was no heating in the shower and being an older style heater it would take ages to trip back on when the heater did get to heat and trip off.
If we had come across a newer Duetto we may have considered it but the Rienza we have now couldnt be turned down.
Another thing with the Duetto regarding its size. I had to have something that would be useable for transport to work at that time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Our first van, an Autosleeper Duetto was well equipped taking is abroad and to a lot of the uk. As I said it was the heating that really let it down. There was no heating in the shower and being an older style heater it would take ages to trip back on when the heater did get to heat and trip off.
If we had come across a newer Duetto we may have considered it but the Rienza we have now couldnt be turned down.
Another thing with the Duetto regarding its size. I had to have something that would be useable for transport to work at that time.

Yes I had thought about using for everyday travel. We will end up with two cars and a motorhome now... and a Harley so four vehicles depreciating in value:censored: hmm

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We have travelled up and down England recently, we ended up buying from Signature near Preston, friendly excellent service not at all pushy, took it in their stride when I got the collywobbles! I nearly give back word, it is a lot of money you are investing! you need to be sure.
Many thanks for your reply, I will have a look at them. They would need to honour any warranty work through a repair place here in Scotland though. I'm not sure how that would go

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H
May 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
In the last three years I finally bought a car from a dealer and a brand new motorhome from a dealer. I'm in my late 60's and have always bought privately. Dealers were ok but I've always been exceptionally happy with my private sales. You don't just assess the vehicle but also the owners. Are they genuine, can they explain everything, do they have the right paperwork etc. There are plenty of motorhomers who are of that age where they have to sell up and pack it in. Often these people will give you good advice and even throw in unwanted extras. Sadly in the past i've bought from women who have lost their partners and want to get the vehicle and its memories off the driveway asap. Sad but they were always happy to accept my offer.
Great advice and thank you. especially about dealing with genuine owners

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2012
leyland lancs
Funster No
MH
on order
Exp
im a newbie
Many thanks for your reply, I will have a look at them. They would need to honour any warranty work through a repair place here in Scotland though. I'm not sure how that would go
I have bought from hundreds of miles away and any warranty jobs I have needed have been carried out local to me.

Upvote 0

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
We have travelled up and down England recently, we ended up buying from Signature near Preston, friendly excellent service not at all pushy, took it in their stride when I got the collywobbles! I nearly give back word, it is a lot of money you are investing! you need to be sure.
Hi Cason ,how have signature been after you bought fro
Them?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2012
leyland lancs
Funster No
MH
on order
Exp
im a newbie
We had a couple of issues with the van and they got it in the day after and fixed them no bother at all. Can't fault their customer service. New battery fitted and oven rattle sorted right away.

Upvote 0

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Cheers Cason, did a lot of research on camper vans, The twin just feels better, signature are about 130 miles away , but have given best price and customer reviews were good. Just waiting for delivery from adria .

Upvote 0

dodfloss

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
beverley yorkshire
Funster No
MH
dethleffs eighty a class
Exp
2 years
Two brothers run the sales and both lovely, Turned out we live in the house they grew up in! small world.
I’m sure you understand, it’s a massive outlay and need to be sure the adria twin is worth the outlay. The twin does get very good reviews from owners . We looked at a lot of camper van, Malibu, globecar, wildex etc , the twin just looked and seemed better design. I suppose I’ll find out when I pick it up.

Upvote 0

Mijack

Free Member
Oct 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
It’s seems very common for dealers to be useless.
The only one any good near us is Becks in Gt Yarmout,and that’s a two hour drive for me..........and probably a day for you!
Perhaps other funsters in Scotland can recommend someone.
Have you got Jim’s Buyers Guide off here.....vg. Then buy privately.

We went to Becks and bought our Autotrail Tracker FB from there. Very good service, informative, not at all pushy. We had as long as we wanted to look over the vehicle, check interior, took it for a test drive, spoke to the technical guys at length. The salesman (Greg) was really good and knew that the purchase was a major one for us and he totally respected that!

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
We went to Becks and bought our Autotrail Tracker FB from there. Very good service, informative, not at all pushy. We had as long as we wanted to look over the vehicle, check interior, took it for a test drive, spoke to the technical guys at length. The salesman (Greg) was really good and knew that the purchase was a major one for us and he totally respected that!
That’s good to hear.

I guess you are aware they have ceased trading.:(:(

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back