Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
I'm thinking of buying a dashcam for the motorhome and would appreciate your recommendations for makes and models. Price isn’t as important as quality of recording in day and night conditions.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
We bought a sat nav with dash cam which was a mistake as the angle you need to set it at to get a good picture of the road isn’t necessarily the right position to see the screen well. So my recommendation is to stay away from combos.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Another vote for Nextbase,should be some deals on over Christmas (y)

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I have a nextbase in the van and another in the car, after having cheap ones before, I would recommend nextbase.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I will vote against the Nextbase majority here.

Had two Nextbase 612's, top of their range because, like you, I was looking for quality. They both had to go back with faults.

Problem 1. They both cut out after running for a couple of hours meaning that the end of a drive (the part I wanted to download and keep) was often missing. Everything would 'lock up' and would need the 'reset' pressed to get them going again. On short drives they were both usually OK. The first one got very hot as well. So hot that on one occasion I had to use work gloves to take it off its mount without burning my hand.
The second camera was better in that it ran cooler but it still cut out frequently, I assume because of overheating internally.

Problem 2. The type of mount used means that there is a lot of vibration. OK for a car with softer suspension but on our vans with harder tyres there was often a 'shuddering' on playback.
I tried the suction mount originally then the sticky pad mount which was a little better but it still vibrated.

Having had a BlackVue for several years I went back to a new BlackVue which had been excellent. That sticks directly onto the screen without any arms or elbows to cause vibration.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I swapped to a Nextbase unit because it can communicate specific clips, on demand, to my iPhone/ipad via bluetooth rather than removing the sim. also has a 'bump' facility which secures an incident from being over recorded. Not used it yet so hoping I will not have the issues Clarky has had!

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Buy cheap, as long as the idiot sees you've got one they will back down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back