rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As a temporary measure, go over the seals with some UV stable clear tape. It comes off easily and doesn't mark the paint - it will offer some protection from leaks until you get time to reseal.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
thanks rainbow chaser that's a great idea any idea where I get it from general stationery supply ??

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
thanks rainbow chaser that's a great idea any idea where I get it from general stationery supply ??

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&partNumber=107211

You may find cheaper online, or locally. Any tape that is water proof and UV stable will be fine for a temp fix until you get to seal properly.

Handy to have a roll of this on board anyway, in case you break a window, put a hole in your skylight or hit your fibreglass!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
only sealant I can get locally from the caravan supplier is SOUDAL fix all sealant & adhesive, anyone used it ?? is it any good. They say that is what they use for everything ???

yokeljohn

Free Member
Jan 30, 2013
weston super mare.
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1985
just back from the local caravan centre who have confirmed the damp and as said by everyone its either the side skirts or wheel covers under the van as the damp is on both sides although worse on the sides with the locker door which may imply its needing resealed.
He has said that it appears to be along the bottom so does not think it is in the insulation yet!!! just the bottom rail. He does not carry out damp repairs !!! so looks like I will be busy resealing and will see if I can get something to inject into the bottom timber rail to harden it. He did say that once everything resealed then it SHOULD DRY OUT.
Other problem is I do not have any under cover available to take the MH so will have to wait for a sunny weekend with no rain forecast, at this time of year in the north of Scotland I could wait a long time !!!
thanks for all the advice so far
cheers
Ron

camocam1 I should prepare your self a bit longer for just a sunny weekend, My ci.i.carioca was under a large sheet for almost two months last winter, as Hilldweller said you must go right back to sound dry timbers and replace every thing else Im not a carpenter , but I saved myself the £3,ooo quoted by a dealer and I am very pleased with the finished job . on a seperate leak at the moment our m.h. is still drying out nicely inside the wardrobe ceiling with all timbers and boarding have been removed, so we are still using it and will be a job for the winter. yokel John

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My ci.i.carioca was under a large sheet for almost two months last winter

Makes you wonder how a dealer can do a proper job. These things take time.
I guess the only quick way is to almost do a rebuild, hence the very high costs.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
dealers comments to me were "we do not strip anything out" "just reseal where the water ingress is found" "it will dry out itself given time"

Based on the comments so far I can't see how that can be the case, looks like it may be a bigger job than I first thought. First time for everything as they say.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Cam just a quick look around the seals will identify where the waters getting in :thumb: it's then just a case of cleaning, ry with paper towel,masking up then sealing, quick smooth off with a wet finger then pull off masking tape.As I said in earlier post about an hour to do all windows on a van and probably less time to seal the skirts ::bigsmile:Tool station or Screwfix will sell everything you need and deliver next day.Drying out will take a lot longer ::bigsmile:
Google or search ebay for wet rot timber treatment stuff about 6 quid for a 250 ml bottle that hardens the wood but you will need to put it into a squeeze type or spray bottle and drill holes to either squirt or let soak into timber
Terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I fully respect every comment from funsters who know more than me, but I can't help thinking you may be worrying about it too much, have you actually seen any damage or smelt any damp, did you get your meter because you suspected damp or just been poking about trying to find some, if it's above your wheels but no more than 2 inches up its almost bound to show damp, get some good under seal in your archs and see what happens, I have a wood skirt on mine that's always wet against the wheels , no sign of rot or anything, and compleatly dry above where it is out of the spray.:Smile:

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Terry do you not need to take off the side skirts to seal them in the back ???
Chaser I was checking for damp all over the van as not been in for habitation check in last 12 months and was just wanting to try and check myself
Up date is I have romoved the rubber seal round the inside of the locker door and the plywood at the bottom was well gone but the timber is sound sides and top no damp readings so I suspect seaping up from below but can't actually get the frame out
Have put clear uv tape over the skirts meantime and removed the rubber strip and tightened up all the screws so must be gripping to something
Also righted up the screws that hold the wheel arch covers in place above the wheels so hopefully this will stop it getting worse meantime
Took a couple of photos on my phone but don't know how to up load them to a post

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry do you not need to take off the side skirts to seal them in the back ???
Chaser I was checking for damp all over the van as not been in for habitation check in last 12 months and was just wanting to try and check myself
Up date is I have romoved the rubber seal round the inside of the locker door and the plywood at the bottom was well gone but the timber is sound sides and top no damp readings so I suspect seaping up from below but can't actually get the frame out
Have put clear uv tape over the skirts meantime and removed the rubber strip and tightened up all the screws so must be gripping to something
Also righted up the screws that hold the wheel arch covers in place above the wheels so hopefully this will stop it getting worse meantime
Took a couple of photos on my phone but don't know how to up load them to a post
Hi you seal skirts to van sides to stop water going right to bottom/floor :thumb: you canget spray on underseal for inbetween skirts and van sides/floor :thumb:
It sounds like the seals on your locker door want some extra thickness, buy some stick on rubber draught excluder type stuff and stick it to door so that it touches the existing seal- put some paper towels on the floor to see if it remains dry - dry = good seal wet = bad , needs more work ::bigsmile:
Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back