Damage To Van In Storage (1 Viewer)

Jun 26, 2020
Dunfermline, Fife
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral SL
Exp
Always a Newbie
Took my van out of storage today to get a service / MOT. On arriving back at home I noticed a large hole in the van on the nearside. I immediately contacted the garage who have now supplied CCTV showing the damage was in place on my arrival this morning. Can only assume that it was caused at some time in storage since early Jan when I last had the van out.
Have emailed the storage facility asking them to check CCTV but not expecting anything until next week. (Why do disasters always happen on Friday afternoon)
Looks expensive !

20240223_161819.jpg

20240223_161830.jpg

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Can understand your anger. We also were hit whist in storage, back light cluster was hanging by a wire but otherwise intact, line on van was ok with a bit of t.Cut. we were not in line of site of the camera and side of caravan which hit us was also away from the camera when going out.
Do hope there is something to be seen at the storage site.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
It looks to have been caused by an air rifle pellet.
Forklift pallet? That’s a serious impact.
Air rifles on a pallet?
that’s a nasty looking impact ,sadly as always best of luck finding the culprit ☹️
we had a situation in the small close where I live ,a neighbours wall was badly damaged by an impact ,so I reckoned it could only of been caused by the refuse wagon reversing ,it was bin day ,he contacted the local council ,’sorry sir the reversing camera (a H&S requirement) was inoperative on that day😠 strange how cameras always fail at the critical moment ☹️

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Do you have allocated spaces..? Check the vehicle that was parked next to you, that’s a fair wack and whatever did it would have some damage too…

Good luck on getting it sorted…

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Is that top and bottom of van side?
If so that was something tall, not a pallet nor an Air gun!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
No idea what’s done that, bike rack sounds logical but it almost looks torn with a sharp edge

Best of luck getting sorted, if not already done get some gaffer tape over it to keep dry, it will tidy it up a lot and looks like it can still be used till mended 👍

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Also that damage looks quite high, check other vehicles in the storage yard with a bike rack on the back that looks recently damaged ..
That's what I thought looks like bike rack . It's must be so upsetting 😡 leaving it where it should be safe.

I hope it's an easy fix looks like the skin isn't broken .the other van must have felt/heard it

Hope it can be sorted quickly

Jan 3, 2020
Mile Oak, Tamworth
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 98
Exp
Since 2008
That is pretty major damage...The Outer skin is pierced and the whole panel has rippled on impact. ( look to the left an below hole)
Such a shame folks cant be honest. It doesn't stop the inconvenience but helps the pain.
Hopefully some detective work will pinpoint a culprit. I would be spending some time in your storage place looking at the vans there. Having said that the culprit may well have covered their tracks as they are inherently dishonest.
Clemmo

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
that's awful. Don't want to be the barer of bad news but that isn't an easy fix either. The panel is well and truly broken. Depends on age of van, some repairers would insist on replacing the whole panel dependent on age of vehicle. Others (i have seen this done) cut out a sizable portion of the damage, replace with metal panel, weld it in, then sand it to an inch of it's life to get smooth and then paint it, you will always see it when the sun shines a certain way, you will always know it's there. However, the replacement side panel is a nightmare as it's the delay involve in sourcing one. This is due to the way Motorhomes are manufactured with panels being made now for probably a week 12 or more build. Therefore your order could be 14-20 weeks away just for the panel.

Good luck and keep us updated, would love to know how they go about repairing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
,’sorry sir the reversing camera (a H&S requirement) was inoperative on that day😠 strange how cameras always fail at the critical moment ☹️
I'd have asked
"Why was it not withdrawn from service then? "
"Have you disciplined your driver for failing to report the lack of camera & illegally continuing to use the vehicle?"
I'd make an official complaint.Then tell them that next bin day I'd be insisting on seeing a working camera as the lorry will be blocked in until I do. You can't **** them about enough.
looks like the skin isn't broken
You missed the bit where the axe has hit it? :LOL:
Can't see an aluminium bike rack causing that sort of damage?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The only sensible repair to that is filler ,paint ,smooth then decals over on other side as well to match.
Anything else is uneconomical & a new side should make it scrap dependent on age. I'd certainly not be involving an insurance company.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
OP
OP
pacman
Jun 26, 2020
Dunfermline, Fife
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral SL
Exp
Always a Newbie
Thank you all for your input and good wishes, we both feel quite sick to think that someone has done this and just walked away.

Went up to the storage site this morning to have a look around. Found an aluminium ladder on the ground a few meters away from where the van was parked. The dimensions of the ladder look suspiciously the same as the hole, and the sharp edges and weight of the ladder would be the perfect tool to create such a hole. One corner edge of the ladder appears to have a "shiny" edge to it, unlike the rest of it.

Unfortunately none of this proves nothing but will be visiting the site on Monday morning once the office is open to see if the CCTV can shed any light. Wil also be contacting the insurance company after the visit.

OP
OP
pacman
Jun 26, 2020
Dunfermline, Fife
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral SL
Exp
Always a Newbie
that's awful. Don't want to be the barer of bad news but that isn't an easy fix either. The panel is well and truly broken. Depends on age of van, some repairers would insist on replacing the whole panel dependent on age of vehicle. Others (i have seen this done) cut out a sizable portion of the damage, replace with metal panel, weld it in, then sand it to an inch of it's life to get smooth and then paint it, you will always see it when the sun shines a certain way, you will always know it's there. However, the replacement side panel is a nightmare as it's the delay involve in sourcing one. This is due to the way Motorhomes are manufactured with panels being made now for probably a week 12 or more build. Therefore your order could be 14-20 weeks away just for the panel.

Good luck and keep us updated, would love to know how they go about repairing.
My thoughts exactly. Van is only 5 years old (68 reg) so would prefer a proper repair instead of a "fix". Should be able to seal it in the meantime with plastic sheet and tape to keep dry, really don't want the van to be off the road for the next 6 month.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
My thoughts exactly. Van is only 5 years old (68 reg) so would prefer a proper repair instead of a "fix". Should be able to seal it in the meantime with plastic sheet and tape to keep dry, really don't want the van to be off the road for the next 6 month.
Definitely the way to go, I wouldn't be surprised if this passes 6 months, hopefully common sense from all parties involved will allow you to carry on using the van until the repair can be done.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Good luck with your problem and I hope it is resolved quickly. My van was, luckily, just slightly marked last year whilst on the storage compound by something bright yellow, fairly easy to buff it out and I was thankful it wasn't any worse.
That incident led me to discover that the storage facility accept no responsibility whatsoever for damage whilst my van is stored there, any claim has to be through my insurance company.
Whenever I leave the van there now I take photographs of each corner and only delete them after I next collect the van and have had a walk around it.
Irritates me that the site is a so called COSSA Gold site. :rolleyes:

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Sorry to hear about your trouble.
I feel your pain. We live in a very windy area and, while in storage, our van was hitted by a caravan in a windy day. The passenger door needed full repair (van was a few months old). They repaired it in a garage they work with.
Another windy day I went to pickup the van and found a similar incident, luckily wasn't ours, this time 🙄
IMG20240212183639.jpg

OP
OP
pacman
Jun 26, 2020
Dunfermline, Fife
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral SL
Exp
Always a Newbie
UPDATE
Visited the storage compound yesterday to check CCTV. Unfortunately they only retain the previous 14 days and the oldest images showed the damage in place. All I have learnt is that the damage occurred between 25 Jan (when yhe van was last on the road) and 13 Feb. We have had a couple of big storms in this period and a couple of other vans have had some damage so this may have been the cause.
Either way I have contacted my insurance company and started the ball rolling and submitted a claim. Look as if we can continue using the van until the repair is carried out.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Unfortunately they only retain the previous 14 days
That’s ridiculous! The vans might not be visited to check or use them for months at a time. I would have thought in this digital age six months should be easy to do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back