Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Anybody know how a pioneer X3800DAB system can get DAB reception? Its a Pilote, grey import, 2013. The manuals en francais and the English version I down loaded doesn't make much more sense to a luddite like me!

I'm pulling my hair out with mine, and I don't have a lot to spare.

I can't get any DAB reception, just a "no signal detected" caption after it has done a full channel scan right across the dial. FM and CD is good, but the DVD part doesn't seem to want to play video, only audio! The unit tells me that the aerial is receiving power, so I'm a wee bit stumped.

The caption above hints, to me at least, that it may be an aerial problem after all but how does a man check? There is an external, side mounted aerial, quite a fancy looking thing, but I don't know exactly what it's for.

Any help from a radio guru would be much appreciated.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi BT.

Not a guru at all but had the same system in a previous truck. The Dab antenna had failed and would not see the Digital stations . Fm was fine . We purchased a new one from eBay funnily enough, and all was ok. As regards the video issue? Is it possible that the wiring behind the unit may be at fault or even loose? I think they are the red and white cables if i can recall correctly? They are the picture and sound cables from the dvd to the screen

PS...The Dab antenna was a Universal type . I fit it under the dash and cable tied in place. all you could see from the top was the small antenna (Little black box) similar to that of a sat nav antenna?

Regards Kev

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Last edited:
OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Hear ya, thanks. Yes, I have contacted Pioneer support, I await their response.

I will hold back undoing all the facias unless absolutely bloody necessary! Its a big A class, it would be a bit of a job.

A new aerial is an option. Under the dash you say? The one I have is external, and about 50 cm long, fancy looking thingy-me-bob with coil sprung mounting, clear plastic housing around copper insulation and rubber rings to protect the bodywork at its base. Looks expensive but I don't know what it's for as I had assumed that being a modern system the antenna would be internal. Perhaps its military, or for the aliens to follow me!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Best of luck, a lot of the time we can’t even get a decent FM signal let alone DAB in our A class

We now stream radio on the move and play via a rechargeable Bose speaker, works nicely fir us home and abroad and doesn’t take a lot of data

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Now theres a thought. SWMBO bought me a SONOS speaker for her birthday, it streams, I think, but from where and how? I shall ask her she is an IT Guru.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
DAB signal in an "A" Class motorhome can be very frustrating. We would only get involved if we installed the DAB unit it is so time consuming and annoying

Our new camper is typically poor for DAB but I have realised that the easiest way is to use Bluetooth Audio to the head unit and use internet radio via the phone, it doesn't take a lot of data, and is very reliable.

As we have a Three WiFi router in the van anyway and my phone is on Vodafone so network is rarely an issue

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
I know this link is for caravans but it solved the mystery for me .... worth taking a look

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
First off, I have telephoned Pioneer before with questions about my Pioneer DAB radio, just ring the number on their website and when the receptionist answers ask for technical support, the guys have always been helpful.

I'd suggest the DAB problem is all about the aerial, I got a £15 one from Halford and mounted it on top of the awning box (may have put a write up on this site somewhere, I think) and it works better than the DAB in a new VW Tiguan !!

The DVD may not be showing video because it needs a wire connected to the handbrake indicator wire. This means that the video is only enabled when the handbrake in ON. Obviously to stop you watching Tipping Point as your driving down the road. If this wire is not connected to the right place the video won't work.

I'd say that if you got the aerial mounted and the wire run inside the MH to near the radio then a decent auto-electrician / radio fitter could fix both problems real quick and fairly cheaply if you don't feel confident in doing it yourself.

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
THanks folks. Appreciated.

Got the Bluetooth, aux wire plug and Ipod to work today. I also managed to stream DAB radio 6 music into the cab today; Whoohoo! SWMBO is impressed as I can be a bit of a luddite. I will try the brake switch thing tomorrow for the DVD and give pioneer support a call.

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
DAB signal in an "A" Class motorhome can be very frustrating. We would only get involved if we installed the DAB unit it is so time consuming and annoying

Our new camper is typically poor for DAB but I have realised that the easiest way is to use Bluetooth Audio to the head unit and use internet radio via the phone, it doesn't take a lot of data, and is very reliable.

As we have a Three WiFi router in the van anyway and my phone is on Vodafone so network is rarely an issue

Intersting. Is this worth it, and what does it cost? Do I need any hard wear? Can I fit it myself? Can I use ROKU or similar? Will it clash with my existing Sat/TV system? SWMBO is the techy guru but she needs a prod on this so I though I'd ask. I know nothing of these things!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
From my understanding DAB is different in the UK to mainland Europe.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Now theres a thought. SWMBO bought me a SONOS speaker for her birthday, it streams, I think, but from where and how? I shall ask her she is an IT Guru.
Sonos is a WiFi connected speaker... the audio sources are streams from the web, your phone or your personal server if you have one.
You could run it theoretically in a MH if you have 240v and a MiFi network.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Intersting. Is this worth it, and what does it cost? Do I need any hard wear? Can I fit it myself? Can I use ROKU or similar? Will it clash with my existing Sat/TV system? SWMBO is the techy guru but she needs a prod on this so I though I'd ask. I know nothing of these things!
I use the an App on my phone which is free and Blue tooth it to my radio

OP
OP
Bonkers the Dog

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
yup ,got that to work yesterday. I'd just like to know that the all singing all dancing Infotainment centre in my expensive m/h is firing on all eight cylinders, if not, the seller can pay for it to be repaired. Watch this space, I contacted them and pioneer this morning.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back