LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We're absolutely SURROUNDED by vocal cuckoos at the moment, readily seen perching or doing a fly-past. So I've learned a couple more things I didn't know:
1. They continue "cuckoo-ing" while they're flying (unavoidable identification of which one was calling when it's just 15 or 20 feet away)
2. As they fly over (5 or 6 feet above ground) smaller birds gather in flight to watch them on their way - this morning, a small flock of gold and greenfinches, sparrows, buntings etc - but they don't harrass the cuckoos, which take absolutely no notice of them

And, of course, they don't stop calling day and night :sleep:

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@CWH We have not heard any this year down on Romney Marsh.

Bernie
They must all be on their holidays here on Skye ;) I reckon there are about a dozen calling consistently that I can hear from the front door.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Heard one at Loweswater last week. A couple of years ago on Mull, you could hear them everywhere, made me realise how few I'd heard around home, used to hear them all the time "when I were a lad" :(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We haven't heard one yet either, but always see and hear more in Scotland, always amazes me why they fly so much further than they need to

Didn’t know about calling at night though (y)

The first time I saw a cuckoo we were on a dawn walk locally, I asked if they called as they flew, with which one flew from about 50’ away cuckooing as it went :)

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
Wow.... So envious. Very Very rare to hear one down here in the South west:(.
On a massive positive witnessed 8 swifts over my house this evening and later flying to their regular nesting site in a nearby Chapel (y).. RSPB are asking for sightings.. 55%drop in numbers.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We always heard them when we lived in the country but since moving by the sea have not :(

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We have heard a few whilst in france not heard one for years till this week

Wow.... So envious. Very Very rare to hear one down here in the South west:(.
On a massive positive witnessed 8 swifts over my house this evening and later flying to their regular nesting site in a nearby Chapel (y).. RSPB are asking for sightings.. 55%drop in numbers.

Things will only get worse now for all song birds since Chris packham got the law changed on pest birds like crows and magpies now being protected.

I watched a pair of magpies destroy a blackbirds nest and pulled all the new born chicks out and kill them all before flying off with them one by one in a neighbours hedge the magpies will become unstoppable if not kept under control they are disgusting birds

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
It's fun here.
Although the flock of "little" birds didn't harrass the cuckoo, just watched, today I’ve seen 2 gulls harassing a buzzard, and a raven harassing a golden eagle. The eagle was really flying hard until the raven turned away, then relaxed into soaring mode. How lucky am I!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just read a FB post from the western isles where they watched a Great Skua kill and eat a grey heron

The size difference is amazing, a gory concept but nature I guess, but always a tough balance when it comes to survival

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Just read a FB post from the western isles where they watched a Great Skua kill and eat a grey heron

The size difference is amazing, a gory concept but nature I guess, but always a tough balance when it comes to survival
:eek:
Herons are my sacred bird! - when I'm in a new place and I see one, I know I'm safe ... (daft I know, but there you are ...)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I've not heard a cuckoo for years. :-(
We seem to have loads of crows , magpies and green parakeets. Yesterday while out, I went past a block of flats and heard starlings being very noisy . It appeared they had made their nest in a disused cable box and a crow was hanging onto the wall underneath the hole in the box trying to get the chicks. I scared it off but it just waited for me to leave and it went back. I ran back a scared it off again . I suppose it will just wait for them to leave the nest.
Many years ago a blackbird made its nest in the bay leaf tree on our front doorstep. It would fly in and out while we were at the door,. Unfortunately, the crows got all the chicks as they left the nest. All very sad.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I watched a pair of magpies destroy a blackbirds nest and pulled all the new born chicks out and kill them all before flying off with them one by one in a neighbours hedge the magpies will become unstoppable if not kept under control they are disgusting birds
Didn't know they did that ?
We have large amounts of blackbirds around here for some reason & also large amounts of magpies. On 2 occasions I have seen 6 -8 magpies on the ground along with 3 or 4 cats. As though they were having a catch up. Started to doubt my first recollection until I saw it again elsewhere.
Some years back we had 4 magpies continually around the proerty & keep landing & walking about.Unfortunately Lopez, one of our dogs, didn't allow anything like that & I walked out the door one afternoon to find her sitting there with a dead magpie.
just killed it . No interest in eating it. Unfortunately for the rest of the day & the following day any time she ventured out from indoors or undercover the other 3 continually attempted to attack her.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 30, 2017
Romney Marsh (St Mary's Bay)
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Since 2008
Read an article in a Sunday paper where, in North Africa, they erect mist nets along the migration routes of the swifts and swallows. Evidently this is why our small migratory birds are decreasing in numbers.

Bernie

Reactions: DBK

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I hadn’t heard a cuckoo for years until today!!!

Walking the dog across the nature reserve near the Oxford C&CC site this morning I heard 2 cuckoos. Wonderful :)

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Just read that the cuckoo only stays in its summer location for 10 weeks per year so this may be why we do not hear them much throughout the year

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
We never heard one at all last year either but did at Kingsbury Water park last week (y)
used to get them regularly around our old house about 15 yrs ago, but then we also had nesting Lapwings ! None of those at Kingsbury either unless we were too early ?
but on a more up beat note ;) the Blue Tits have not been distracted by the previous warm spell and are now going berserk trying to make up for lost time, especially with all the new flying insects ! I
Greenfly killer banned till they have left the nest :D2

Last edited:

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
:eek:
Herons are my sacred bird! - when I'm in a new place and I see one, I know I'm safe ... (daft I know, but there you are ...)
My daughter lives in Clumber Park, Notts and they had a large heronry there but she has not seen many this year !

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Plenty of noisy cuckoos here in Sowf Frenchland. There is one who has modified its call to cuck koo koo. Strangely it’s most disconcerting. o_O

Also something that sounds like an old trimphone, not seen only heard it. It goes on and on and on, you end up thinking come on mate you’ve got to come up for air eventually. Love to know what it is.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hope Chris Packham's seen this ! ! !
I fail to see anything wrong with nature taking its course? Animals kill other animals. Sometimes they even eat each other. At least they don't factory farm their prey. Chris Packham is trying to prevent a free-for-all killing spree on so-call pest birds. At the moment anyone can use any means to kill these birds and no-one cares whether killing is necessary because they're 'vermin'. What he has done is insist existing laws are applied correctly so that where justified pest birds can be killed otherwise they're left alone. It will have no effect on farmers all of whom have good reason to keep down the numbers of certain birds.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Plenty of noisy cuckoos here in Sowf Frenchland. There is one who has modified its call to cuck koo koo. Strangely it’s most disconcerting. o_O

Also something that sounds like an old trimphone, not seen only heard it. It goes on and on and on, you end up thinking come on mate you’ve got to come up for air eventually. Love to know what it is.
Probably a starling. They can sound like anything they want. One used to do the Trimphone song outside my parents house. It caused much hilarity / annoyance because they had a Trimphone at the time :).

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
We have been in the mountains of France down in the gorges of verdon and now a little higher up to the east of Gap and have heard cuckoo's in all the places we have stopped at, I can't actually believe how many there are down in this region of France great to sit and listen too there calling travels such a long way

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Ready to shoot the little blighters if they don't shut up!
Not really. It's great seeing them all over the place. Went down to Talisker Bay today and on the path from the farm they were calling from every direction.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back