Cruise Control.

Joined
Apr 21, 2015
Posts
121
Likes collected
118
Location
Milton Keynes
Funster No
35,948
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
2009 Fiat 2.3 ,the cruise control on my van keeps switching off I usually have it set at about 60 mph,after a couple of miles it just turns off,I reset it and the same thing happens again, or this time it makes the engine rapidly pick up speed I don't what speed it would go up to because I turn it off.Any ideas please.
 
It's a built in safety device to stop you taking a toilet break or mashing a cuppa whist driving.
On a more serious note I had this on our sprinter it turned out to be the absolute sensor on a front wheel.
 
This is probably not the case with you, but I want to tell an unbelievable story about the cc on our previous 2011 Ducato.

We bought it late in the autumn, so it had winter tires on (here in Finland almost everyone uses real winter tires). Everything worked just fine. In the spring I changed summer tires, and soon after that I noticed the cc turning off every now and then. No fault codes, but the rear left wheel gave faulty speed readings when read with a scanner. Let's say I drove 50, that one corner was speeding at something like 170. Clearly wrong, but as the cc most of the times worked, I didn't do anything at that point.

Then, driving further I noticed the pattern. 5th gear (6 speed manual) and downhill -> engine braking -> the cc went off. It went off only on that exact situation, it went off every single time in that situation, and it never went off in any other situation.

Eventually I ended swapping back the winter tires just to test, and the problem was gone.

The summer tires had 2 different sizes, the fronts being /75/ but the back were /70/ (or vice versa, don't remember). Of course that created speed difference on the axles, but it was incredible that it was only that one certain situation when the problem occured 🙃
 
The summer tires had 2 different sizes, the fronts being /75/ but the back were /70/ (or vice versa, don't remember). Of course that created speed difference on the axles, but it was incredible that it was only that one certain situation when the problem occured 🙃
That would be a similar effect if a ABS wheel speed sensor was faulty.

Have you checked for any fault codes Ebby ?
 
csd4t could you please give instructions of how I get into your posts.Thanks
 

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Log in

Already a member? Log in here.

Forum posts reflect the views of individual users and not MotorhomeFun.
MotorhomeFun does not endorse or verify user-generated content.

Back
Top