Croatia bound, hopefully! (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Morning all, well it’s been just over a week in Croatia now, 6 on the coast near Umag and have now moved inland near Pazin, just about the centre of Istria, small site, just 5 roomy plots with services and access to hotel pool next door and restaurant and great views
We also like views, for a fantastic sea view have a night or two at Senj on the way down, not much there but your front will be a few feet from crystal clear sea.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Photos
motovun-beautiful-view.jpg

If you are inland Motovun is worth a visit, fabulous views from the top.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Apart from the usual places like Dubrovnik, Split, and Plitvic, when visiting Croatia make sure you visit Ston. See if you can walk the wall, we did some of it but all of it was beyond our capabilities. A lovely place not to be in a hurry. No wild camping but plenty of cheap campsites.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2016
Caerphilly
Funster No
MH
Eldest firestorm 130
Exp
There are camps and there are camps. For us the couple of times we’ve been to Croatia it’s been a couple of nights by the coast, and the rest inland with much nicer people and sites. Even a few non sites.
Look for motorhome signs in gardens of private homes overlooking Adriatic , they have small fully serviced small sites in back gardens usually on sea.

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Another vote for both Plitvic Lakes, and Ljubljana. Lovely sunsets in Croatia as the coast is west-facing. We used ACSI campsites. avoiding the past era huge ones.

Djenks

Free Member
Feb 20, 2017
Prestbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t 564
Exp
Keen to know why you wouldn't travel through Albania in the MH? We were thinking of going through Albania to Greece rather than ferry from Italy, after visiting Croatia etc. Being very much newbies, we're trying to learn as much as possible.
Me too. I had absolutely no trouble going through Albania (okay a couple of the roads were dodgy) stopping at half a dozen different places (camp sites and wild). Country is beautiful and you’ll not meet more welcoming people.

Jan 8, 2020
North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
January 2012
Some years ago we lived in Hungary and visited Croatia with a Land Rover and tent a few times. Our favourite was a wooded site called Planik Camp, Razanac.
N 44° 16.672
E 15° 20.628
The staff were wonderful and the village was very pleasant. One day I wanted to watch the F1 GP on TV and the camp system died. The manager, Andras, did no more than go home and bring his own TV system so I could watch the race. A few years later we returned with a MH this time and were pleasantly surprised when we were recognised at the reception and automatically given a 20% discount for returning. The staff warned us not to wild camp because local people would report us to the Police and we would be taken to an expensive hotel and forced to book in.

However, not all camps were like that and one evening we were trying to find a place to stop for the night in the North. We searched for 2 hours and all were full until one offered me 35 Euro a night to park on grass. Electric extra. I said I would stay one night and was told that minimum was two nights. I exploded at that because you have to pay ecology tax and tourist tax as well. A German was standing near and he agreed that Croatia was becoming greedy. He normally came with his boat but this time he was told that he must pay a tax of 10 Euros every day it was in the sea. He said he was not going to return.
After that I found a beach with a few MHs and thinking that safety is in numbers we stayed the night there and got away with it.
N 44° 48.992'
E 13° 53.887'

Ian

Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
Been away from U.K. for 2 weeks now France, currently Germany, got caught in the biblical rain in the Mosel area for 2 days, but now in the Sun. Spent 2 days in the car park of the
Hymer museum (well worth a visit) and had a look in the Bad Waldsee Hymer showroom this morning, plenty there to see and even some good reductions on new vans, almost forgot, whilst exploring we found an unmarked building with several Hymer in the compound with RV HY reg plates ie RV HY 780 one of them had some interesting mirrors, which were obviously rear view cameras with a screen on the inside (will attach a pic of I can) I take it they were experimental.
Anyway, we are just short of Lake Constance at Ravensburg today, had a free COVID test this afternoon, thanks Angela M! with a certificate too and tomorrow, transiting Switzerland in 4/5 hours via A13, hopefully getting to Como for the night.
What are you driving down those tight roads in Bellagio etc?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Rastoke Croatia is a beautiful small village I found by accident, locals call it mini plitvice. It has the waterfalls without the crowds or admission charge. Well worth a visit if in the area.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Another vote for both Plitvic Lakes, and Ljubljana. Lovely sunsets in Croatia as the coast is west-facing. We used ACSI campsites. avoiding the past era huge ones.
Plitvice lakes and sunset at Porec.

Attachments

• 20190918_124358.jpg
    20190918_124358.jpg
    725.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190915_193514.jpg
    20190915_193514.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 18
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Is this accessible to large Motorhome’s and good parking?
It's certainly accessible to motorhomes, I parked near the top but can't remember the carpark or if it's suitable for a large moho. I'll dig my notes out and see if I can remember, I'll post later

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I checked my and there is parking at the bottom of the hill with a shuttle bus that takes you to the top, so you should be ok in large moho.
This is a link to my blog with photos

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Krka falls are nice, near Split so a bit easier to get to from the coast than Plitvice

Jan 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
a class 890 hymer
It's certainly accessible to motorhomes, I parked near the top but can't remember the carpark or if it's suitable for a large moho. I'll dig my notes out and see if I can remember, I'll post later
Thanks!
1627556260104.png

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
I would have to search through lots of info to find campsite names in Croatia where we have stayed but safe to say whilst many are a bit ramshackle looking we have never been disappointed with our stay. I’ll name the sites I recall the names of. It’s the location that is more important so I’ll list some places we really loved & the campsites were very close to them to be able to walk, cycle or bus it. Rovinj, caught the water bus across the bay from the Camping Amarin to the north on the peninsula Wonderful town with beautiful seafood restaurants & cobble streets with the iconic view of the church tower you see in all the photos of here. Fazana & Pula, stayed at camping Bi Village. Tito history & Roman ruins, amphitheater. Island of Krk, camping Krk. Zadar, campsite in the town to the north of old town in walking distance. Perfect walking distance if a bit ramshackle beautiful old town. Senj, a good stop off place with nice town & seafront. Camped at ACSI site but no longer listed, just to south of town centre with gate onto the prom. National Park Krka, stayed at camping Krka. Owner did guided tours of the park, fantastic! Bus outside to Sibenik which was a wonderful town. Split, fantastic historical city. Camped at great site just outside to south at camping Stobrec & bussed it in. Also bussed it via Split to Trogir, beautiful old town & well worth the effort to get there. Could camp closer but doable from Stobrec. Plitvice National Park, not to be missed but a full days walking & need to arrive as early as possible to avoid the coachloads of tourists. Pretty sure we camped at Camping Plitvice just to the north of park entrance. Big place with accommodation too but we chose here as it did a bus for campers to & from the park. Hope this helps anyone travelling To Croatia.
If going anywhere near Ljubljana in Slovenia I would never drive by without stopping for a few days to see this beautiful city. We camped at I think the Ljubljana resort hotel & camping, just off the ring road. Perfect location with easy bus access from outside into city centre. Loved this city.
If anyone wants to see photos and have access to Instagram then the 2 tours to Croatia will be on there if you scroll back over the years, user name rkt480, along with many more tours.
regards Roy
We went to most of these places two years ago. Wonderful and will definitely go back when we can.
We got the ferry from Split to Ancona and came back through some beautiful and interesting places in Tuscany. Assisi is especially amazing from the campist at the base of the hill. Can't remember the name.
Wonderful memories.

Kevin R

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2014
Germany
Funster No
MH
5th Wheeler Glendale
Exp
Since 2002
Some lorri are now fitted with camera instead of mirrors. This isn’t new.
In June I drove from southern Portugal through Spain, France, Belgium, the Netherlands to Germany without a test or vaccination and wasn’t checked throughout the journey. I tried to be vaccinated in Portugal but was refused because I’m not a resident.

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
6 weeks away now and we have been in Bosnia for about a week now, I must say, we have only been in the mountain area's but I'm quite taken with it, its not really a tourist destination and there are not too many sites, our first site was at Kulen Vakuf in a National Park area and on a river, you can just about see the site in my pic, not very busy, no other GB's, mainly German/Austrian/Dutch.
We are now on a another site by a river at Jajce, which is an old fortified town. Remember Bosnia is a Muslim country and be prepared for the regular call to prayer from the Mosques, I quite like it!

Attachments

• EC74F0FE-9753-4EA3-AF2B-9EAF8D9E8F25.jpeg
    EC74F0FE-9753-4EA3-AF2B-9EAF8D9E8F25.jpeg
    184.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 889EC765-36DF-4C93-BA1C-30BD970F1BB7.jpeg
    889EC765-36DF-4C93-BA1C-30BD970F1BB7.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 0343E8C3-3F71-4049-B975-1264E89F337E.jpeg
    0343E8C3-3F71-4049-B975-1264E89F337E.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 17

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun