Crafters.....what did you buy this week....... (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
To start it off my vice arrived and I have fixed some leather to it to protect the wire wrapping......it can revolve, so I am a happy bunny.:D
20190427_175414.jpg

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
I haven't bought anything this week but before I came away to Scotland I bought lots of wool. I'm knitting walking socks at the moment with wool from the Shetlands... bought in Chichester!

I did buy a pair of clogs from a craft shop along Loch Ness though :) I haven't had a pair of wooden clogs since my hippy teenage years!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Have been really good and haven't bought anything since February! Then I bought a magazine because it had 3 patterns with it and I had actually been looking for a pattern to make some trousers and hadn't been able to find one I liked (and they are so expensive now!). The magazine pattern had 3 different styles of trousers and I liked 2 of them - which is handy as I have 2 lots of material to use which needs using up.

Unfortunately I can't get near my sewing machine at the moment as we're waiting to have some work done on the bungalow and we've had to use the space in both Joe's work room and my room to store some of the furniture which needed moving out of the other areas of the bungalow.

Hopefully the work will be getting started in a couple of weeks and then when we come back from our trip to France in mid June I'll be able to get some sewing done!

Denise

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I haven't bought anything this week but before I came away to Scotland I bought lots of wool. I'm knitting walking socks at the moment with wool from the Shetlands... bought in Chichester!

I did buy a pair of clogs from a craft shop along Loch Ness though :) I haven't had a pair of wooden clogs since my hippy teenage years!

Oooooh memories!:) I want some too.

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Well I had an offer accepted on a nice big roll of copper wire today on fleabay and i'm waiting for some from jewellery maker to arrive very soon, so i'll be happy when they arrive because the thickest wire I have isn't thick enough...…..but it is allowing me to practice.:love:

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
I’ve banned myself, I could open a shop- sewing and knitting. I’m on a sabbatical -can’t be bother at the mo.

Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I've bought three Addi Swing crochet hooks 1.7mm, 2mm and 3mm as recommended by several of the crochet octopus makers. They are taking a bit of getting used to. I think I now have at least one of every brand. I'm a lucky lady to have so much pocket money to spend.:D2

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
ive been really naughty this week. someone was selling an encaustic iron kit on facebook so i went to get it and she had sooooo much crafting stuff for sale really cheap. i ended up with fabrics, canvases, paint brushes, pastels, 6 wooden wreath kits for £6!, 2 wooden advent train kits for £5 each, some craft die storage wooden units for £5 each, loads of card, a craft light and lots of other bits and pieces. I spent £200 in total it was too good to miss out on. I also bought some cross stitch kits and embroidery kits on ebay. i now need to stay off eBay and facebook!

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
This week I bought.... blocking mats, blocking T pins, skein winder and more wool.

The blocking mats sold specifically for knitting we’re getting on for 40 quid - the same ones (in pretty colours) made for children to play on were around a fiver... guess which I bought?!!

Why is it a thing nowadays to sell wool in bloody skeins? They look all handmade in a Croft-ish but they just involve more work to enable their use....

I have my Miriam cardi (by Carrie Bostock) which I knitted whilst away in Scotland all blocked now ready to finish...deep joy!

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Hello, I hope you don’t mind a newbie wading in!

I’ve got proper blocking mats, and the things are HUGE! Easily 18 inches on a side, so not big enough to block whole garments on, but too big to put two side by side on my cutting table. Absurd! I was in b and q a couple of weeks ago and bought some of the kids play ones, which are only about 8 inches square so you can build them up to the shape you need. Assuming there are no glaring problems with them, I’ll sell the ‘proper’ ones on.

I’ve also just discovered bias binding makers, which are brilliant, and sooooo much easier to make. You just cut strips (on the bias, obv!) and feed them in, and it magically folds over the sides and you just follow along with the iron. I love bias binding finished hems, but making the stuff is tedious to say the least. I wonder if it work with knits, they’re a pain to hem (I have my eye on an overlocker one of these days) they cost a grand total of about eight quid for four sizes.

In the same vein, I've just discovered that you can get all sorts of feet for sewing machines. I invested in a walking foot for sewing jersey last year, and I love it sooo much I never take it off my machine. I was idly puttering around eBay yesterday, and noticed that you can get gathering feet, and hemming feet. Anyone tried them?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Welcome.

Some of us ... well mainly me, are rubbish at crafting .. but we all have one thing in common .. we enjoy it.

Come over to our Learn to Crochet thread .. it isn't just crochet.. it is everything.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Hi Wellington.... yes I love bias binding makers too... very satisfying?. I also have a walking foot - brilliant for slippery fabrics.

My sewing machine came with all manner of feet for various projects. I use quite a few of them, though some infrequently. With regular hemming feet you need a sewing machine with the correct stitch to be able to use it. i think with the rolled hem ones should ok with straight stitch but of course it’s only for tiny hems.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Where from Pauline?

@Janine .. I made my hare but he looked like a donkey so I altered him. Started in vengeance now for a craft stall next year .. he is my first project. :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Where from Pauline?

@Janine .. I made my hare but he looked like a donkey so I altered him. Started in vengeance now for a craft stall next year .. he is my first project. :)

Boot Sale last weekend. It’s only a couple of miles up the road and on a Saturday. Lovely views from the field too!

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Welcome.

Some of us ... well mainly me, are rubbish at crafting .. but we all have one thing in common .. we enjoy it.

Come over to our Learn to Crochet thread .. it isn't just crochet.. it is everything.
Oh, me too. I just had a very successful project though, so I’m brimming with overconfidence and riding for a fall! I’ll step over the crochet thread, (although I’m predominantly a knitter)

alanalmoff

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
March
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2001
This Week I brought a, wait for it ______________________________________________a caravan, And I hate caravaners swaying along the road' I said I would never buy one, but it's only to take down to Spain for our winters,, please forgive me, Alan

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I have often thought its a bit odd that, as far as I know, you can't just change the LED bulb on internal lights.

I bought two of these lamps from Amazon. Not the cheapest but they do have a very handy USB socket built in.

Sorry for the iffy photo!

Paul

983296DD-8B0F-47D1-8297-4E2DE66D0C3D.jpeg

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I have often thought its a bit odd that, as far as I know, you can't just change the LED bulb on internal lights.

I bought two of these lamps from Amazon. Not the cheapest but they do have a very handy USB socket built in.

Sorry for the iffy photo!

Paul

View attachment 316285
:DI hope you are planning to do some crafting using these new lights....:D;)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I treated myself to a new box of dressmaking pins yesterday, from local fabric shop. Most of my old ones a bit bent from running over them with the sewing machine and a few got rusty patches,
The new ones are rubbish however, and I have had a frustrating day as they don’t slide into the fabric like my old ones, some have rough edges and some have not got points. They are thicker. Being a Sunday I cannot do much about it and probably not worth going back to complain.
Making two outfits for Twinwood Festival !

OP
OP
Mrsambulancekidd
May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I forgot to mention that I now have my steel block......and the following is the very first creation I used it and the chasing hammer for......the flattened wire that's wrapped around the side is the result.
Oh and i'm getting a mitre cutter tomorrow....happy me.:love:
Front
20190704_203043.jpg

Back
20190704_203113.jpg
20190704_203136.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.