Covid tests are Free in Netherlands during July and August. (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Here's something different from our governments approach. The Dutch authorities have made all travel related covid tests free for the main summer months "to help people on their vacations"
I make no further comment.....

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Here's something different from our governments approach. The Dutch authorities have made all travel related covid tests free for the main summer months "to help people on their vacations"
I make no further comment.....
Cant believe this hasnt received further comment.

Do you have a link to it ?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Found this

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Maybe, they can afford to do it,? because their GDP per capita is higher and their National debt pile is also half as big as ours:whistle:.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Here ,as from today, you can get lateral flow tests otc. @ 7,20€ each.
Netherlands can make them free as no one is allowed in.:giggle:

OP
OP
Bucket
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Cant believe this hasnt received further comment.

Do you have a link to it ?
Here's the message a Dutch friend sent when I asked how to access a test to return from hook of Holland. I had already seen it on the official nl website but wasn't aware non-residents qualified too:-
afspraak.testenvoorjereis.nl gives the possibility to make an appointment for either a PCR test or an antigen test, both of which will be valid for entering the UK provided that they are taken 72 hours before departure of the ferry in Hoek van Holland. You will need the zip-code of the place you are staying te get a choice of 3 different locations. On a ‘GGD’ site you need a dutch digid which you do have. Anyway, the tests are free in july and august even for foreigners traveling abroad. I am afraid the site mentioned above is only in Dutch, but that won’t be too much of a problem for you.

OP
OP
Bucket
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I can now describe my recent experience of using the Dutch free testing system and subsequent return to the UK from Hoek of Holland.

Started by entering the URL as advised .
afspraak.testenvoorjereis.nl
Following my friends advice I worked in Dutch but only later noticed a button (top left) to choose English instead!
The other thing that was different was you don't need a postcode, a typed address will do, I used 'Hoek van Holland', close to the ferry terminal. You can start typing any town in the NL and these pop up for you to choose from.
A few simple clicks and you are shown available clots at up to 7 locations in the vincinity. These run from 6.00AM to 16.45 PM. I just tested the system again and some centres (In Utrecht) had availability at every time slot!
My chosen centre was a few miles from the parking spot so I cycled there as it was in the middle of a small high street and parking might have been an issue.
I was checked in as soon as I arrived and the admin took about 5 minutes, the test probably 3 max. My test was just before 11 AM and the result (negative) came through by 22.30 the same day. They had said it might take up to 24 hours.
The result comes by email/text and a few taps takes you to a certificate and if you need it a QR code.
These automatically selected English, maybe because of the data I had inserted on registration? Either way don't be worried about the language as it seems the syetm will either automatically select English or offer you the choice.
Armed with all this I was able to rebook my ferry for a day earlier and was back in England that evening.
By the way, it's been a few years since I used the Hook ->Harwich route and I have to say I was very impressed with the whole service. It's a nice big ship, good services and a competitive price. I'd say better than any of the others and I've used them all these recent few years.
It was surprisingly busy and I am a bit suspicious that at least some of the travellers had driven from France to avoid a 10 day quarantene,
just saying.....
Checking at the embarkation involved showing passports and negative test proof on check-in and then a brief conversation with the Douane guy at the next booth. He had a quick look inside to make sure I really was alone.
On arrival, it was quite a long wait to reach the security gate, some vehicles took an age, I guess because they had to scrabble to get all their documents on the screens? As mentioned on an earlier thread, much better to have paper copies if possible.
My turn found a friendly lady who noted with pleasure that she could see my documents were all there ( had a phone and separate tablet as well as my passport and a print-out of my vacination statement). After the passport check she had a quick look at my PLF but didn't study it, then when I asked if she wanted to see my negative test proof she said she was happy that she could see it was there so waved me through.
The customs shed appeared unmanned, I only had the legal 18 litres of duty free wine too (dammit!).

So in summary, it might be worth considering using that crossing to return; or, even if aiming for Calais maybe see if you can travel back via Holland to get a free and very efficient test for the return?

Aug 19, 2021
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 685
Exp
since 2020
I can now describe my recent experience of using the Dutch free testing system and subsequent return to the UK from Hoek of Holland.

Started by entering the URL as advised .
afspraak.testenvoorjereis.nl
Following my friends advice I worked in Dutch but only later noticed a button (top left) to choose English instead!
The other thing that was different was you don't need a postcode, a typed address will do, I used 'Hoek van Holland', close to the ferry terminal. You can start typing any town in the NL and these pop up for you to choose from.
A few simple clicks and you are shown available clots at up to 7 locations in the vincinity. These run from 6.00AM to 16.45 PM. I just tested the system again and some centres (In Utrecht) had availability at every time slot!
My chosen centre was a few miles from the parking spot so I cycled there as it was in the middle of a small high street and parking might have been an issue.
I was checked in as soon as I arrived and the admin took about 5 minutes, the test probably 3 max. My test was just before 11 AM and the result (negative) came through by 22.30 the same day. They had said it might take up to 24 hours.
The result comes by email/text and a few taps takes you to a certificate and if you need it a QR code.
These automatically selected English, maybe because of the data I had inserted on registration? Either way don't be worried about the language as it seems the syetm will either automatically select English or offer you the choice.
Armed with all this I was able to rebook my ferry for a day earlier and was back in England that evening.
By the way, it's been a few years since I used the Hook ->Harwich route and I have to say I was very impressed with the whole service. It's a nice big ship, good services and a competitive price. I'd say better than any of the others and I've used them all these recent few years.
It was surprisingly busy and I am a bit suspicious that at least some of the travellers had driven from France to avoid a 10 day quarantene,
just saying.....
Checking at the embarkation involved showing passports and negative test proof on check-in and then a brief conversation with the Douane guy at the next booth. He had a quick look inside to make sure I really was alone.
On arrival, it was quite a long wait to reach the security gate, some vehicles took an age, I guess because they had to scrabble to get all their documents on the screens? As mentioned on an earlier thread, much better to have paper copies if possible.
My turn found a friendly lady who noted with pleasure that she could see my documents were all there ( had a phone and separate tablet as well as my passport and a print-out of my vacination statement). After the passport check she had a quick look at my PLF but didn't study it, then when I asked if she wanted to see my negative test proof she said she was happy that she could see it was there so waved me through.
The customs shed appeared unmanned, I only had the legal 18 litres of duty free wine too (dammit!).

So in summary, it might be worth considering using that crossing to return; or, even if aiming for Calais maybe see if you can travel back via Holland to get a free and very efficient test for the return?
Hello,

I use the Stena Line Hook of Holland ferry regularly for my job, it is a great route - in my opinion. Staff have always been friendly and helpful. I always use the overnight ferry, a cabin is required for this route and I find them comfortable enough for my light sleeping issues. Plugs in the cabins are european. So make sure you have your adapters in your overnight bag. TV has all the UK channels and you have Pet TV for keeping an eye on your pet. The que for getting through customs on both sides is very quick but I have not traveled since covid so I can not comment further on the new post brexit rule or delays they may have caused. if you have been there before but not in the last year, there is a new faster road layout at the port to the main motorways / autobarn so you don't have to go through the village anymore. If you do get the overnight it arrives at 8am Euro time and gives you enough time to get to where you want to go. I hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back