Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Will it work?
Won`t it work,
Will it cost you more?

Be careful, I don't think for one minute that the article has anything to do with Martin Lewis which is what it's implying.

I'm sure there are many trains of thought on this, this one appears to just be a scare tactic.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Inevitable that other methods of raising revenue from vehicle users will be explored. At the moment, petrol and diesel users are contributing to the coffers, based on their use (and relative fuel economy), but that is going to decline.

Short term, as we are encouraged to switch to greener transport the loss of VED and tax on fuel is small, but will become unsustainable. Something will change.

Charging points for electric vehicles would be able to have a tax added in the fee charged to drivers, but that won't work for those able to charge from a lead at home, unless electricity costs generally have tax applied and that wouldn't be popular.

VED is likely to start to be applied to alternate fuel cars. We will eventually see the congestion zone charges apply to alternate fuel cars, with supplementary emissions charges for the polluting vehicles.

Road charging in some form may become the favoured solution. How it is done would be interesting. Would we all have to allow big brother into our vehicles with tracker devices? Would it work just on major roads with some ANPR type camera system, and would that push traffic onto smaller roads?

I think the article is scare tactics as to the actual rate per mile - 75p would be far more than is in current tax on fuel (which is per litre) for even the most polluting vehicle, and wonder if someone has missed a few decimal points?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back