LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
During this morning's extended northern dawn I had an interesting quarter hour watching a bit of a bird fracas out the front.
A small buzzard from our resident family group was trying to settle on his usual post but was being harassed by a raven (2 others from the resident raven family sitting on a rock) and a couple of hooded crows. The corvids were being very aggressive - chased the buzzard from his perch, dived onto him in flight, routed him when he went to ground, then hassled him from a second post. When he eventually took off across the marsh, the hoodies decided to have a go at the raven (which was bigger than the buzzard) - feisty creatures, these hoodies!
I like our buzzards. Though I suppose I shouldn't feel too bad for them, they do try to haze the local white-tailed eagles when they're around. But they lose that game as well ...

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Can't remember the last time I saw a Starling.
Ooh - had one of those on the feeder today - along with great, blue and coal tits; green, gold and chaffinch; robin and dunnock; blackbird ('course they don't go ON the feeder, just hang around underneath waiting for the scraps)
But we don't get pigeons - only rock doves :D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Do you live IN an aviary. :D

They probably are rock doves but to me they're pigeons.
if they look like a duck and quack like a duck...they're ducks.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
We get pheasant , doves , wood pigeons , crows , blackbirds , maggies jays and sundry small birds feeding, but one of the Squirrels is very possessive and doesn't ignore the large birds like the other squirrels , and chases them off ! He doesn't bother with the small birds eg robins finches etc .

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
They probably are rock doves but to me they're pigeons.
'Tis true PPJ, they don't look a whole lot different!!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We regularly see spats between ravens and buzzards here as both nest in the area - the ravens always get their way. I suspect buzzards aren't the brightest of birds.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I think you're probably right; whereas corvids seem to me to be highly social and educable (is that a real word?) birds.

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Hahaha they're at it again!
This time the buzzard's flown in very low towards a rock where the hooded crows always sit. They're quite happy to bump him on the back when he's in flight, but when he landed they were so funny - one standing a couple of meters in front of him, the other about half a meter behind him and hopping forward to tap the end of his tail feathers before hopping backwards again - did this about a dozen times. Then the buzzard took off and went to another rock 20 meters or so away - which has always been a buzzard rock - and all became calm...

Oh and a jackdaw just this minute came to the peanut feeder. He's not having much luck! - well he wouldn't would he with that great beak! I love his silver-blue eyes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back