Corvid-19, Motorhome Insurance suspension (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Another anomaly, adding the wife can reduce the premium, even though she no longer has the C1 to drive it!.
I'm wondering if that voids the policy? Surely anyone named on the policy has to have the licence in order to be legally able to drive it ... its certainly not something I'd do as any way the insurer can wriggle out of paying out they will and this is a known 'porky' ... that's possibly why some insurers ask for your driving licence number when you do quotes.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm wondering if that voids the policy? Surely anyone named on the policy has to have the licence in order to be legally able to drive it ... its certainly not something I'd do as any way the insurer can wriggle out of paying out they will and this is a known 'porky' ... that's possibly why some insurers ask for your driving licence number when you do quotes.
I'm very sceptical about insurance companies but I don't think even they would try that as a loophole unless there was evidence she had been driving it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm very sceptical about insurance companies but I don't think even they would try that as a loophole unless there was evidence she had been driving it.
Not so sure about that as he's used her to get a lower quote knowing full well that she can't legally drive it ... AFAIK the reason you put people on insurance policies is so that they are legally allowed to drive the vehicle in question, not whether they ever will ... not a risk I'd take.

What's the difference between this and putting someone on who hasn't got a licence at all to get your premium down?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Not so sure about that as he's used her to get a lower quote knowing full well that she can't legally drive it ... AFAIK the reason you put people on insurance policies is so that they are legally allowed to drive the vehicle in question, not whether they ever will ... not a risk I'd take.

What's the difference between this and putting someone on who hasn't got a licence at all to get your premium down?
I think it's different from doing it at the time of renewal. It might be an idea to send an email saying she can't drive until further notice as her C1 has expired and there's no chance of a medical. But you could then argue if someone breaks their leg and can't drive for a while then they ought to notify the insurance I can't believe many do.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I think it's different from doing it at the time of renewal. It might be an idea to send an email saying she can't drive until further notice as her C1 has expired and there's no chance of a medical. But you could then argue if someone breaks their leg and can't drive for a while then they ought to notify the insurance I can't believe many do.
That's not the same though, the 'broken leg' one would be legally able to drive the vehicle normally and that is what the original insurance was based on, once the leg is okay then they could again legally drive, the one without the licence could NEVER legally drive it.

As an aside, if you do have an injury and drive if it means you are in any way impaired, eg a broken arm, even though you may still able to physically drive, it could void your insurance if you do.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
….. a partial refund should be available from the insurance company to reflect the non existent road risk which they are currently experiencing and profiteering from.
I'm quite sure they'll all be reducing premiums from their huge profits post-virus to reward customers for their loyalty.

:whistle:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That's not the same though, the 'broken leg' one would be legally able to drive the vehicle normally and that is what the original insurance was based on, once the leg is okay then they could again legally drive, the one without the licence could NEVER legally drive it.

As an aside, if you do have an injury and drive if it means you are in any way impaired, eg a broken arm, even though you may still able to physically drive, it could void your insurance if you do.
And if you have an accident and the police are involved could take some explanation!

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
So you're saying someone without a licence can't insure a vehicle?
Splitting hairs now
Anybody can insure a vehicle, it’s wether your a named driving on that vehicle which is the question and the point used to reduce the premium

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
If they reduce the premium for a second named driver it seems reasonable to expect that person to be able to drive the vehicle. I believe they do it because it reduces the chances of the driver continuing to drive when tired, unwell or unfit to continue.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Hello Jim

My motorhome is located in a substantial building beside our house, in a remote rural situation. The likelihood of theft or fire is highly unlikely as the very securely locked and alarmed building is constructed of stone concrete and steel. The MH batteries have been removed from the vehicle and the building. The vehicle itself has one entrance door with two high quality deadlocks, is alarmed and live tracked. My risk is therefore as minimal as it is possible to be.
My original post was highlighting the stance of the insurance companies, I understand that this is a uniform response from most UK insurance companies. I believe the option to suspend insurance in such times as these should be available. Alternatively a partial refund should be available from the insurance company to reflect the non existent road risk which they are currently experiencing and profiteering from. They are usually quite happy to charge you extra if you wish to increase your stated mileage or add further to their risk by other means, so what is wrong with a refund for reduced risk? Some American insurance companies are presently partly repaying premiums to their clients.

Best regards

Keith. Stay Safe!

Err..., where exactly is it located? :giggler:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The big risk of adding a partner as second driver who is unable to drive the motorhome comes if the main driver is incapacitated and the insurance company expect the other named driver to repatriate the vehicle, not them

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Splitting hairs now
Anybody can insure a vehicle, it’s wether your a named driving on that vehicle which is the question and the point used to reduce the premium
Just checked my Comfort policy. Your insurance is invalid if the person driving the motorhome or in charge of it does not have a valid and current licence to drive it.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
The big risk of adding a partner as second driver who is unable to drive the motorhome comes if the main driver is incapacitated and the insurance company expect the other named driver to repatriate the vehicle, not them

That is a good point. Dorset Lady is currently on our insurance, has more than half a century of driving experience and the right licence, but would not drive the MH for love nor money (I've tried both, money was the front runner ?) but she stays on the policy as NFU Mutual would put up the premium by about £60 p.a. if she was removed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That is a good point. Dorset Lady is currently on our insurance, has more than half a century of driving experience and the right licence, but would not drive the MH for love nor money (I've tried both, money was the front runner ?) but she stays on the policy as NFU Mutual would put up the premium by about £60 p.a. if she was removed.
In which case, knowing what you know, putting her on the policy is 'deceptive' so could void it ...

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
So you're saying someone without a licence can't insure a vehicle?
No, as others have said, there's nothing to stop you insuring it but you shouldn't declare yourself as a 'named driver' if legally you are not able to drive it, as this is normally done to get the policy cost down, it is, IMV, fraudulent.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
In which case, knowing what you know, putting her on the policy is 'deceptive' so could void it ...

I also know that if push came to shove she would drive it. I also discussed it with NFU M when I spoke to them about removing her from cover and was given the quote, so they are aware and not concerned. In addition I have ADAC Plus so the question of vehicle repatriation is covered.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I also know that if push came to shove she would drive it. I also discussed it with NFU M when I spoke to them about removing her from cover and was given the quote, so they are aware and not concerned. In addition I have ADAC Plus so the question of vehicle repatriation is covered.
So which is it? ?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
"Insurance Companies", "Refunds" and "Reducing costs to clients" are words that my brain cannot process...

..."Insurance companies" "maximising profits" and "reducing payouts" are words my brain processes with no problems at all.

JJ :cool:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It would only be any issue. IF she was to drive it, As she no longer is on the Motorhome Insurance anyway. It`s the toad that she is "insured to drive", She has never driven the Toad, as it is manual and she prefers Auto`s. She did however drive the R-V, in the USA and that one was a 9tonne wide-body Winnebago. V10 Auto, and full power everything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back