Converting from 120 volts to 240 volts (1 Viewer)

Nov 15, 2017
Chippenham, Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Quad slider 5th wheeler
Hiya, I have an american 5th wheeler and want to change the Atwood gc6aa-10e water heater to 240 volts. But don't know how easy it is. do I just change the electric element or what

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You can buy an adapter to go from 240 to 120 but not sure how good they are for high use.
My wife bought a glue gun from the USA so I had to buy an adapter but it only lasted a year before the plastic case cracked so I through it away.

Deleted User
I may be wrong but I would think that the OP's fiver already has a transformer unless it is a new import.
Ours certainly had one fitted so that the fridge, microwave and electric fire worked, gas only boiler on ours, still working after 12 years of almost full timing.
Sorry no answer to original question.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
If you need a step down transformer it will have to be fairly beefy to cope with the load but I doubt if the frequency difference between USA and UK will matter. Worth checking transformer in yours to see if it has any other tappings so it can be changed to 230v ( UK standard voltage)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If you can find an Atwood parts list you might get an answer there. At one time the answer would have been to simply change the element but these days it might have electronics supplied by a transformer that expects 110v. Why not ring Atwood? (I still think all it'll need is as you suggested - an element change - but you need to be certain.)

Just had a look:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
Hi, you can buy 120v 60hz to 240v on line, also reverse. They have our 3pin and American 2 pin. They do absorb amps though. Check the spec of an unit. Flea bay have them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back