Converting caravan awning for PVC (1 Viewer)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I have a 24 ft caravan acrylic awning which I would like to cut down to fit the rear(not side) of my MoHo, has anyone tried to alter an existing awning to fit and if so how did it turn out? Also can anyone suggest a seamstress to saw the bits up after I have cut it up.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Do you have a picture of it?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Used to be a lady at Old Arley near to Jacksons there who you always went to when you needed a patch put in or a new zip. But that would be approx 35 years ago! Just need a heavy sewing machine hence an old Singer treadle was ideal - but she had an 'industrial' sewing machine. Daughter and I many years ago sorted out a Hutchinson bivvy someone set fire to, on my Jones machine - but not even for family would I attempt it now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've done lots of tent repairs, adapted and made awnings etc but that would be quite a pain to alter due to the size, the roof apex pitch and the poles themselves, you'd be better off selling it and using the money to buy a cheap porch awning and adapting that as it would be much, much simpler and you might not even need someone to do it for you then.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I Wondered about doing that but 2nd hand awnings are going for peanuts now so wouldn’t make much to buy a new one.
I am going to measure everything up and see if there is any real scope to convert.
ta very much

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Do you know exactly which awning you have? Make/model/year? If so I'll have a shuftie and see what I can come up with.

I've been having a look on the internet to see if I could find any porch type awnings that might suit but the issues are firstly the height as most are no more than 2.5m high and you'll need more than that in order to be reach above the rear doors, and secondly you need to ensure that the slope of the roof doesn't mean it prevents the door opening so need something without much of a slope.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
it’s in the cellar, I will shift her ladyship off the chair and go down shortly (chair sits over cellar hatch) and get full details, thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
it’s in the cellar, I will shift her ladyship off the chair and go down shortly (chair sits over cellar hatch) and get full details, thanks
You're thinking of making the cellar hatch into a stage 'drop' hatch/trapdoor aren't you! :giggle:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Fiamma do a rear door enclosure (the link is slow to open and may need re-loading):

Oh, and here it is at Johns Cross (don't forget the Funster discount! ;) )

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I had my boat canopy repaired by a friendly local Saddler.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
I have a 24 ft caravan acrylic awning which I would like to cut down to fit the rear(not side) of my MoHo, has anyone tried to alter an existing awning to fit and if so how did it turn out? Also can anyone suggest a seamstress to saw the bits up after I have cut it up.
Have a look at the new Quest popup pro,there is a canopy extension for it as well,It should fit nicely on the back of a pvc and allow the doors to open under cover I would think. Not got a pvc myself but worth a look.

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Minxygirl
Really annoyed, been down in my cellar and found that mice have had a go at the awning so Dee has told me to bin it. Bugger.
will look at the quest.
thanks

OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Fiamma do a rear door enclosure (the link is slow to open and may need re-loading):

Oh, and here it is a Johns Cross (don't forget the Funster discount! ;) )

Just checked this fiamma and that’s exactly what I want. I will contact John cross tomorrow.

thanks for this heads up

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have a Isabella Combi 680 porch awning good condition (unless the mouse has had ours as well) fibreglass poles, free to a good home if anybody is anywhere near Guisborough..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back