Control Panel switching off. (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Since Jan 2014
Today getting ready for our first trip in 6 months and after switching on the power on the control panel ( Sargent EC480 ), after about 30 seconds it switches off. This happens every time I switch on. I have tried doing this direct from the main EC500 and the same happens. The 2 leisure batteries and vehicle battery are fully charged.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please. TIA.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Today getting ready for our first trip in 6 months and after switching on the power on the control panel ( Sargent EC480 ), after about 30 seconds it switches off. This happens every time I switch on. I have tried doing this direct from the main EC500 and the same happens. The 2 leisure batteries and vehicle battery are fully charged.
Can anyone point me in the right direction please. TIA.
There are several diffenet types of panel used,, Any chance of a picture ?

OP
OP
Torchy
Apr 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Since Jan 2014
Pictures.
3BC2158B-7D7F-4861-A77B-B21349FBB19C.jpeg
9894EA40-BA37-4332-B9C4-5255CB52C00F.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 28, 2010
Pickering, North Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML 580
Exp
Since 2010
Hi,
Just a thought -
Is it actually off, or is the display simply asleep ?
If you press either the up or down arrow when the display appears blank, does the display come back to life ?
Menis

OP
OP
Torchy
Apr 7, 2014
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Since Jan 2014
It is definitely off as when it turns off, all electrics shut down.
The manual says too reset the control panel you should switch off using the black shutdown button and wait 30 seconds before switching back on. I havenā€™t tried this yet as MH is in storage. I will see if this works tomorrow.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It is definitely off as when it turns off, all electrics shut down.
The manual says too reset the control panel you should switch off using the black shutdown button and wait 30 seconds before switching back on. I havenā€™t tried this yet as MH is in storage. I will see if this works tomorrow.
If it does not work remove the bezel round the panel and unscrew the panel from the wall.
Behind it there should be two connectors ( though some builders only utilise one )
The longer of the two needs to be unplugged and left for about 15 minutes.
Plug it back in and try it
Also on some panels there is a button battery ( Usually a CR2323 or similar ) I have had them die a death which can also cause the panel to go in to reset mode
The battery is accessible when you remove the panel as above

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
If the solar regulator has gone rogue and putting out too many Volts the Sargent system will shut it's self down for protection. Have a look at the Voltage on the panel too see what it is when it goes off, not sure what the cut off voltage is but I had the same problem. Alternately cover up or disconnect the solar panel and see if it still does it.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
What is the voltage of the habitation battery?

Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
8 years motohoming and counting
Iā€™ve
just experienced the same thing.
On ehu overnight. This morning ec480 switching itself off after 30 secs. Victron Solar controller in bulk mode, leisure battery volts 13.97 & climbing .i just disconnected the ehu . Solar in absorption now as 14.4v achieved. But- vehicle battery reading 16volts! The sargent panel diverts solar to the vehicle battery when on ehu. I recently fitted a vanbitz battery master and dcdc charger as I wanted all charging to Leisure battery only.

Looks like its not possible to turn off solar to vb when on ehu? Or is it?

Iā€™m worried now my vb is overcharged. Any ideas how to remedy this are most welcome.

Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Iā€™ve

just experienced the same thing.
On ehu overnight. This morning ec480 switching itself off after 30 secs. Victron Solar controller in bulk mode, leisure battery volts 13.97 & climbing .i just disconnected the ehu . Solar in absorption now as 14.4v achieved. But- vehicle battery reading 16volts! The sargent panel diverts solar to the vehicle battery when on ehu. I recently fitted a vanbitz battery master and dcdc charger as I wanted all charging to Leisure battery only.

Looks like its not possible to turn off solar to vb when on ehu? Or is it?

Iā€™m worried now my vb is overcharged. Any ideas how to remedy this are most welcome.
Quick update. Started van to lower vb . Ehu off. Panel back to normal. Vb now 12.8 and solar charging LB currently 13.0v.

Going to try plugging ehu to see what happens. I thought sargents systems would prevent over- charging the vb in particular.

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
If your PSU is a EC500 its smart charging (solar and mains) can be set as required through the EC480 control panel , the information about smart charging (if you do not have it already ) is in the Manuals for Motorhome Stuff section of Resources on the top blue line of this page.
There is also information there about recalibrating the EC480 control panel if needed.

Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
556D217F-DEF6-424A-99B6-2A2E700226A5.jpeg

If your PSU is a EC500 its smart charging (solar and mains) can be set as required through the EC480 control panel , the information about smart charging (if you do not have it already ) is in the Manuals for Motorhome Stuff section of Resources on the top blue line of this page.
There is also information there about recalibrating the EC480 control panel if needed.
Thanks.,i have solar to LB only & ehu set to normal, so its supposed to charge the selected battery from the ec480 button. Lb is selected. I have turned off the charger at the ec500 for now as we are going out. Batteries are almost equalised via battery master.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have found in the past the Ec500 PSU & EC480 panel can get their knickers in a twist sometimes and shutting down completely and switching back on on the EC500 PSU button sorts it out

Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
I have found in the past the Ec500 PSU & EC480 panel can get their knickers in a twist sometimes and shutting down completely and switching back on on the EC500 PSU button sorts it out
Iā€™ll give that a try. Thanks. I am wondering if the sargent charger has become faulty or if it has anything to do with me charging the LB via victron orion and mppt 75/10 and then on ehu, the sargent chargers algorithms getting there knickers in a twist as you say.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
If the Sargent charger is faulty you would be getting over voltage on the HAB and vehicle batteries when switching from one to the other. On my Autotrail Mohawk the charger is a Px300 and you can get to it by removing the Ec500 psu, it is just 4 screws and the whole thing pulls out of the panel and the charger should be in there and easy to get a multimeter on it to test the output voltage.

Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
That makes sense. Iā€™ll see what happens in the morning. Charger back on now having turned the ec5oo off then on again after a few minutes. It may be that I need to wire my mppt solar charger direct to the leisure battery & so not allow the sargent to automatically point solar to the VB when on ehu. It may be mppt getting confused as it doesnt know which battery its charging if the sargent is auto switching. it may be in bulk mode to the LB then suddenly be pointed at the VB which may well be already on a floating charge via the battery master and potentially overcharge the VB that way.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Sargent are very good with advice, I had similar problem with the solar over charging and was told to remove the small link at the bottom of the mppt controller (Epever)as they don't work so good at low temperature .

Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Sargent are very good with advice, I had similar problem with the solar over charging and was told to remove the small link at the bottom of the mppt controller (Epever)as they don't work so good at low temperature .
I have removed a jumper from the victron mppt but I think thats more to do with setting changes from the victron app.

I agree, Sargent are very helpful and I will give them a call on Tuesday. I reckon the solution is to either disconnect what I think must be a solar output changeover relay on the EC500 circuit board to prevent charging of the vehicle battery & confusing the Victron, or simply connect the mppt output directly to the leisure battery.

This morning the vehicle battery has gone up to 16v again & the panel has shut down again.šŸ˜•. iā€™ve turned off the mains charger again and VB level has dropped to13.2 as has the LB Solar feeding the LB now.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
if you cover the panels or disconnect the solar charger it will rule out that side of things

Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
if you cover the panels or disconnect the solar charger it will rule out that side of things
Yes, good idea. Will do when we get home tomorrow as Iā€™ll need to pull out the ec500. Swmbo will not take kindly to me ā€œpulling the van apartā€ whilst we are away. I can run full tests of all chargers on the drive tomorrow. I do also wonder if its the victron talking to the battery smart sense which is connected to the LB that is not helping. Ie VB full and LB saying Iā€™m not full so solar keeps pushing out a charge to the VB until it gets a message from the smart sense saying Iā€™m full - which it never will whilst charging is to the VB

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back