Control panel switching off when engine running (2 Viewers)

Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
As is standard on most (all) UK motorhomes, my Bailey panel switches off when I start the engine. Anyone got any ideas as to why this is actually done, and is it regulatory? There are a large number of motorhomes which don't have this feature, so I'm assuming it isn't an overarching legal requirement, maybe just a regulation on new vehicles made in the UK?

When I was installing my new battery etc I found that it was a very easy modification to stop this happening, but really want to understand why it's done before making the change as I don't want to make a legal motorhome illegal.

Many thanks.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
IIRC it’s something about what the UK industry sees as a standard but not in Europe.

It’s annoying so I would be interested to hear what your mod is.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ray-Vic
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
IIRC it’s something about what the UK industry sees as a standard but not in Europe.

It’s annoying so I would be interested to hear what your mod is.
Ok thanks, so not necessarily a legal requirement which is likely to end up as an MOT failure etc?

If it turns out it's ok to do I'll do the mod and take pictures etc and post here.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ray-Vic
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
I agree with David and Sally it’s a uk spec thing. There is no legal requirement for it.
Our Adria does not have it.
They are a caravan manufacturer so that's what they do, also saves them money on having to have EMC (electromagnetic compatability) test done on all the electrical components in the hab side.

Perfect, thanks. Looks like another job for this weekend (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't blame me if the untested components interfear with your engine management. :rofl:
They were doing this long before ECU type electronics.
Yes, it is to do with electromagnetics but as said, it's a throwback to caravan manufacture when there was no need for power when being towed except the fridge and battery charging

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They were doing this long before ECU type electronics.
Yes, it is to do with electromagnetics but as said, it's a throwback to caravan manufacture when there was no need for power when being towed except the fridge and battery charging
Twas a joke, I used to do EMC testing.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back