Considering Combiboiler vs. Diesel Heater for MH (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I've posted a few threads before regarding an issue with my old Truma boiler, it's packed in now and I need a replacement. I was happy enough to go like for like seen as I have a decent gas set up and all the feeds would be there already. Of course Truma have decided to orientate their new boilers horizontally now meaning it's tight for space in my cupboard space.

A local fitter had a look today and although they reckon the boiler itself will fit, they reckoned it would be a really hard job connecting it up and may need to cut a hole in the partition in to the garage and make a door there for future access. This should make fitting easier but obviously would take more labour making the access hatch. Maybe £3500 for unit and fitting???

What would others do? I have no space under seats for diesel heaters so maybe have one fitted on the outside? I also need water to be heated too hence why I would prefer a combi boiler setup. Have I read somewhere that the diesel heaters can't incorporate the existing ducting system?

I'm also tempted to just buy a Truma boiler myself and try and fit it, maybe getting someone else to plumb the gas side of it. But I'm seeing a lot of threads on here recently with Truma issues so that's putting me off a bit.

Any input?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I've posted a few threads before regarding an issue with my old Truma boiler, it's packed in now and I need a replacement. I was happy enough to go like for like seen as I have a decent gas set up and all the feeds would be there already. Of course Truma have decided to orientate their new boilers horizontally now meaning it's tight for space in my cupboard space.

A local fitter had a look today and although they reckon the boiler itself will fit, they reckoned it would be a really hard job connecting it up and may need to cut a hole in the partition in to the garage and make a door there for future access. This should make fitting easier but obviously would take more labour making the access hatch. Maybe £3500 for unit and fitting???

What would others do? I have no space under seats for diesel heaters so maybe have one fitted on the outside? I also need water to be heated too hence why I would prefer a combi boiler setup. Have I read somewhere that the diesel heaters can't incorporate the existing ducting system?

I'm also tempted to just buy a Truma boiler myself and try and fit it, maybe getting someone else to plumb the gas side of it. But I'm seeing a lot of threads on here recently with Truma issues so that's putting me off a bit.

Any input?

Have a word with RogerIvy or nigelivy about the viability of maybe replacing your Truma setup with a JP Air & Water Combi Heater.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Have a word with RogerIvy or nigelivy about the viability of maybe replacing your Truma setup with a JP Air & Water Combi Heater.

Worth a read.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
You know Truma do a diesel heater/boiler too? Should for with existing ducting. Not sure it orientates differently or is the same size asthe gas one.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
You know Truma do a diesel heater/boiler too? Not sure it orientates differently to the gas one.

The JP heater is a direct copy of the Truma Combi D4E unit at a third of the price

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You know Truma do a diesel heater/boiler too? Should for with existing ducting. Not sure it orientates differently or is the same size asthe gas one.

I could be wrong but I think the Combi 4E and D4E are almost identical in layout.:unsure:

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Yeah Trumas diesel versions are the same size and orientation. Thought about it but it's the same size plus an extra feed to worry about getting plumbed in so don't think it's for me. Think it's a bit more expensive too.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yeah Trumas diesel versions are the same size and orientation. Thought about it but it's the same size plus an extra feed to worry about getting plumbed in so don't think it's for me. Think it's a bit more expensive too.
fyi

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Well not happy about this but I have decided to go with as like for like a replacement as I can get. I looked at various options from different fitters but I don't fully trust the 'chinese' versions and some fitters wouldn't fit them so I am going with the Truma 4 or 4E.

Not impressed with Truma at all as they have purposefully discontinued all spare parts for older models forcing people to buy new (seems to be a more popular strategy from big companies these days). But needs must for me as a fulltimer so I am getting it fitted by K&I in Dalkeith just outside Edinburgh. Quoted £3100 but that is as a worst case scenario with 16 hours of labour quoted, if things go well it should only be half that. It is also allowing £2k for the unit itself which I think I can get down to around £1500. The guy doing it thinks he can get away without cutting a hole for access in through the garage so that's a bonus.

Not easy to see prices for the units so hoping the Truma 4 is cheaper as I see no need for electric elements as I'll hardly ever be plugged in.

I do quite like the iNet option, has anyone used it? what do you think of it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back